For The Love Of Harry - The Nilsson Thread

Do talk back
Balboa

Re: For The Love Of Harry - The Nilsson Thread

Postby Balboa » 27 Mar 2011, 11:27

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

Today is a Nilsson day here - I'm going to spin a bunch of his records. I love this thread.

Edit - I should pull my thoughts together more, I've had 'Son of Schmilsson' on all week - I can't tell you how much I love Harry Nilsson and his music. The whole package from start to finish; I've gone into a funny phase with music where I just want to go deep with certain artists, read about them, look at the album artwork, listen to the lyrics, really absorb the whole thing - Harry is one of those artists, and his career was so great and varied that I get a lot out of digging in.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 Jun 2012, 19:21

I'm bumping BCB's finest thread in honor of Harry Nilsson's birthday.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jun 2012, 19:34

Happy Harry Nilsson Day!
I'll make the Brandy Alexanders, Davey could you stop at the store and pick up a box of sanitary napkins?
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jun 2012, 19:35

Balboa wrote:Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

Today is a Nilsson day here - I'm going to spin a bunch of his records. I love this thread.

Edit - I should pull my thoughts together more, I've had 'Son of Schmilsson' on all week - I can't tell you how much I love Harry Nilsson and his music. The whole package from start to finish; I've gone into a funny phase with music where I just want to go deep with certain artists, read about them, look at the album artwork, listen to the lyrics, really absorb the whole thing - Harry is one of those artists, and his career was so great and varied that I get a lot out of digging in.

what a nice post. I'm so glad people still do this.
uggy poopy doody.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Jun 2012, 21:15

Is there a decent biography of the man?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jun 2012, 21:19

I don't think so.
in fact, the only book I can think of about him was a murder mystery where he's a character.
I think it's called "the harry nilsson mystery' or something like that. it wasn't half bad.

in that book, Yoko wouldn't let Harry up to see her after Lennon was shot. I don't know if that's true or not. the Harry Nilsson in that book goes and gets drunk.
uggy poopy doody.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Jun 2012, 21:21

Cage Free Brown wrote: the Harry Nilsson in that book goes and gets drunk.

Bracing realism!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Jun 2012, 21:23

Cage Free Brown wrote:in that book, Yoko wouldn't let Harry up to see her after Lennon was shot. I don't know if that's true or not.

Not true - he did visit with her.

I seem to recall he also did a lot of work on that Yoko tribute album Every Man Has A Woman, so I doubt there was any bad blood between them.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 15 Jun 2012, 21:28

Absolutely, Harry of all people stayed close with YO. I think that is generally accepted as fact.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jun 2012, 23:10

that's good to know. I really liked his tracks on that comp. I can't remember anybody else's in fact.
he seemed pretty well placed for something like a comeback.

bummer deal.

I guess the writer just pulled that stuff out of his ass. His "Harry" jumps off the page pretty good. I think he claims to have been one of Harry's drinking buddies. I wish I could remember what it was called but I guess it's no big deal since he didn't know what the hell he was talking about!
uggy poopy doody.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Jun 2012, 23:29

Or maybe, since it was fiction anyway, he just decided to deviate from the known facts for fun...

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Jun 2012, 23:38

Checking Wiki's Nilsson entry in case it mentioned that book CFB's talking about (it doesn't), I found a couple other little tidbits I didn't know:

Nilsson's musical work after leaving RCA Victor was sporadic. He wrote a musical, Zapata, with Perry Botkin, Jr., libretto by Allan Katz, which was produced and directed by longtime friend Bert Convy. The show was mounted at the Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam, Connecticut, but never had another production.

In 1985 Nilsson set up a production company, Hawkeye, to oversee various film, TV and multimedia projects he was involved in. He appointed his friend, satirist and screenwriter Terry Southern, as one of the principals. They collaborated on a number of screenplays including Obits (a Citizen Kane-style story about a journalist investigating an obituary notice) and The Telephone, a comedy about an unhinged unemployed actor.

The Telephone was virtually the only Hawkeye project that made it to the screen. It had been written with Robin Williams in mind but he turned it down; comedian-actress Whoopi Goldberg then signed on, with Southern's friend Rip Torn directing, but the project was troubled. Torn battled with Goldberg, who interfered in the production and constantly digressed from the script during shooting, and Torn was forced to plead with her to perform takes that stuck to the screenplay. Torn, Southern and Nilsson put together their own version of the film, which screened at the Sundance Film Festival in early 1988, but it was overtaken by the "official" version from the studio, and this version premiered to poor reviews in late January 1988. The project reportedly had some later success when adapted as a theatre piece in Germany.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jun 2012, 23:50

the Terry Southern book "Now Dig This" deals a little bit with the Hawkeye stuff.

there's an SNL book which really paints Southern as a loser/hanger on and Nilsson as his enabler. the "now Dig this" and maybe a Mark Hudson interview paints it more like a mutual admiration society. too bad Harry got ripped off so bad. he really did seem to have a lot of enthusiasms.

there's an old Goldmine interview where he talks about writing childrens books. I wonder if anything ever came from that?
uggy poopy doody.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Jul 2013, 07:50

With the RCA Box coming out I thought this deserved a bump.

It's an opportunity to talk about the records we haven't talked about yet now that this puts 'em back in print.

In particular I think That's the Way it Is and Knilsson are much better than I remember.

Flash Harry- not part of the box because it didn't come out on RCA- is supposedly coming out on Varese Saraband. It, on the other hand, is not very good.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 26 Jul 2013, 10:43

I was inspired to pick up that 5 album box that came out a few years ago after reading this thread and watching the documentary. And was really pleased that I did. Some robust stuff particularly the 'Harry' and 'Ariel Ballet' albums. I also acquired the 'Knillson' album and can vouch that it is well worth the effort. True his voice seems to have lost a bit of its range but there is still much to enjoy.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 29 Jul 2013, 18:09

Snarfyguy wrote:Is there a decent biography of the man?

Apparently now there is. I would be interested in this.

http://www.amazon.com/Nilsson-Life-Sing ... 060&sr=1-1
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Jul 2013, 18:21

Anybody pre-order the box? Or planning to get it? It's out tomorrow.

Another question that occurs to me looking through the notes on it that maybe someone here knows the answer to- "Girlfriend," which was re-done as "Best Friend" (theme to 'The Courtship of Eddie's Father' TV show) is on the box, but "Best Friend" isn't. Anyone know why? Is the master too degraded? I know often things done for TV or film, if there was no official soundtrack, aren't archived properly.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Jul 2013, 19:38

I preordered it, but It's not supposed to arrive until next week.

rorebhoy

Postby rorebhoy » 30 Jul 2013, 12:04

And mine just arrived from amazon

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Jul 2013, 17:48

I ordered the box from Amazon UK so it won't arrive for a while. I have the bio but I've been to busy with other things to read it yet.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Yakety Yak”