Which?

The Fall
50%
Richard Thompson
50%

Total votes: 70

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 14 Jun 2006, 23:42

the name is Coan wrote:I take your point, but you're a few campsites away from Truthtown again.

Who is a hippy, then? Or - who comes to mind when you think 'hippy'?

Mark.E.Smith.

In Rip It Up And Start Again they talk about him taking magic mushrooms, getting involved in weird magic rituals and claiming to have visions. Sounds like hippy behaviour to me.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 14 Jun 2006, 23:45

The Unique Modernist! wrote:
the name is Coan wrote:I take your point, but you're a few campsites away from Truthtown again.

Mark.E.Smith.

In Rip It Up And Start Again they talk about him taking magic mushrooms, getting involved in weird magic rituals and claiming to have visions. Sounds like hippy behaviour to me.

I read that Joe Strummer used the IChing to decide whether or not to join the Clash! It's gotta be true - I read it in MOJO!
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 14 Jun 2006, 23:46

Mark.E.Smith.

It's true. A Van Der Graaf Generator fan, too. He's always been a bundle of contradictions, that fella.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 14 Jun 2006, 23:49

the name is Coan wrote:

Mark.E.Smith.

It's true. A Van Der Graaf Generator fan, too. He's always been a bundle of contradictions, that fella.

Let's just say he follows in an English Blakean tradition of Romantic visionaries John!

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 15 Jun 2006, 00:16

the name is Coan wrote:

Mark.E.Smith.

Let's just say he follows in an English Blakean tradition of Romantic visionaries John!

Indeed, G! Altho' he's been quoted as saying (a little stupidly) as 'Blake was a much better painter than a poet'. A similar comment was made about one of his other heroes, Wyndham Lewis.

Actually some of his early lyrics - 'Leave The Capitol', for example - are influenced a little by Blake. Really great stuff.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 15 Jun 2006, 02:37

the name is Coan wrote:They're not especially relevant today, but time and again, on record at least, they come up with the goods and are still astonishingly consistent. I doubt very much RT does the same.

This is where you're making your mistake. I actually prefer Thompson's solo work over Fairport and his stuff with Linda. The most recent CDs I got from him were in 2003 (the Old Kit Bag and More Guitar) both were more than consistent, and More Guitar was superb. I saw him live this year and a couple years ago - great shows. The man still has it (big time).
The crazy music drives you insane

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 15 Jun 2006, 06:11

Snarfyguy wrote:
Baron Bona Fide wrote:Have you people ever heard a Richard Thompson record?

I got that Shoot Out the Lights album pretty recently, but I only played the first side because the production was so vile.

I see. This means that you didn't get to the first song on side 2, which is "Shoot Out the Lights". There's a reason the album is named after this particular track.

I think I first heard about this album through something Lou Reed said, something like he didn't think people played guitar like that anymore. The official quote goes like this:

Lou Reed wrote:"I thought the guitar playing on 'Shoot Out The Lights' was really really good. I was absolutely stunned when I heard it..."
http://www.thebeesknees.com/bk-rt-bi.html

This is just about the same time that Reed himself released The Blue Mask (well, co-released with Robert Quine), and so, naturally, like anyone with half an ear, I listened up. I was half-expecting "White Light/White Heat". Of course, what it sounds like is completely different, but you could see why Reed liked this stuff. The guitar playing is as ferocious as Gang of Four (cf. "Anthrax". You could tell I was in a feedback kind of mode at that time.) but more complex.

Snarfyguy wrote:Great albums don't sound like this.

Can you be a little more specific? I have my own opinions about the production, but I'd like to hear what you think about it. What do you think is so vile about it?

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 15 Jun 2006, 08:05

Six String wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
Baron Bona Fide wrote:Have you people ever heard a Richard Thompson record?

I got that Shoot Out the Lights album pretty recently, but I only played the first side because the production was so vile. Great albums don't sound like this.

I think he's a good guitar player, but I've never sat down and played one of his records - other than some Fairport stuff.

It's not the best sounding RT album, I'll agree. It's the songwriting and performance that make it good. Some of the songs on that album remain on his setlists for good reason. I think his voice is much better these days than back when he was singing with Linda.

If you don't like the official production, you would hate the Joe Rafferty mixes - they really sucked.
In the end the album has so many world class songs that to condemn it for the production is to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 15 Jun 2006, 08:07

Livet wrote:
the name is Coan wrote:They're not especially relevant today, but time and again, on record at least, they come up with the goods and are still astonishingly consistent. I doubt very much RT does the same.

This is where you're making your mistake. I actually prefer Thompson's solo work over Fairport and his stuff with Linda. The most recent CDs I got from him were in 2003 (the Old Kit Bag and More Guitar) both were more than consistent, and More Guitar was superb. I saw him live this year and a couple years ago - great shows. The man still has it (big time).

Both are excellent records - although More Guitar was of course recorded at a gig in the '80's!
But I think that demonstrates the sheer consistency of the man. There are more reasent performances available if you know where to look :wink:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 15 Jun 2006, 10:50

the name is Coan wrote:

Mark.E.Smith.

Also mates with, and more than happy to tour with, anarcho-hippies Hear & Now (sp) back in the early days. Indeed Grant Showbiz was H&N's sound man before The Mighty Fall poached him to produce some of their stuff.

Was Peter Hamill (a relation of Limahl?) a hippy though?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 15 Jun 2006, 11:40

Deebank wrote:Was Peter Hamill (a relation of Limahl?) a hippy though?

Probably not. A collaboration between him and MES was mooted a few years' back - never materialised due to work commitments.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Jun 2006, 01:38

We still need two votes.

I'm not letting this go yet!

Fucking cunt hippy

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Jun 2006, 01:42

The Legendary John Coan wrote:We still need two votes.

I'm not letting this go yet!

Fucking cunt hippy

And I thought you were coming here to concede.

Shouldn't even be this close.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 23 Jun 2006, 01:45

thankfully, Kurt Cobain has never (to my knowledge) uttered the word "arse"
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Jun 2006, 02:16

take5_d_shorterer wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:Great albums don't sound like this.

Can you be a little more specific? I have my own opinions about the production, but I'd like to hear what you think about it. What do you think is so vile about it?

Corporate Whore wrote:If you don't like the official production, you would hate the Joe Rafferty mixes - they really sucked.
In the end the album has so many world class songs that to condemn it for the production is to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Sorry, I didn't see that this thread had gotten kicked back up last week.

I bought the record six or eight months ago (I think I was with you, Ken - at the WFMU record fair last October or November) and I played the first side around that time and haven't revisited it since then.

Meaning my impressions are not fresh at all. But I recall the sound of the album being too antiseptically clean and sort of flat and thin for my liking.

I also recall that Don't Renege on Our Love seemed like kind of an awkward phrase - this legalese term stuck into an emotional plea.

I'll give it another spin and report back.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Jun 2006, 06:58

Snarfyguy wrote:I also recall that Don't Renege on Our Love seemed like kind of an awkward phrase - this legalese term stuck into an emotional plea.

:lol:

'Love Me Or Talk To My Lawyer'...

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 15 Oct 2006, 08:42

Still a little way to go here...

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 15 Oct 2006, 08:52

It's Baron, y'all wrote:thankfully, Kurt Cobain has never (to my knowledge) uttered the word "arse"

It's never too late...

Bungo the Mungo

Re: The Fall vs Richard Thompson

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 01 Feb 2009, 03:04

There's still time....

Return to “Yakety Yak”