your most memorable gigs

Do talk back
Bucolic Old Sir Henry
Trufficulteur

Postby Bucolic Old Sir Henry » 03 Apr 2006, 23:33

John Peel Radio One In Concert recordings 70/71/72:

David Bowie: doing Hunky Dory, pre-release. Rather memorable. Charismatic is right.

Traffic
: doing John Barleycorn. Winwood is a damn fine guitar player.

Pink Floyd: doing Meddle. Gilmour is damn fine guitar player. Fucking loud.

Soft Machine/Ivor Cutler: Royal Festival Hall - ?71: The Softs doing Third in a classical venue, with Ivor Cutler being wry and Lol Coxhill playing real good for free (outside).

John Martyn/Danny Thompson; Oxford Poly - '73?: He was stoned out of his box, but that suited the mood - Solid Air and all.

Knebworth '75: Floyd, Steve Miller, Beefheart etc. I was stoned out of my box, but that suited the mood.

The Jam - Battersea Town Hall - ?79: Great band at their peak. So loud I was reduced to crouching at the back with my fingers in my ears. I blame Weller for my tinnitus.

Brian Wilson - Smile - Christchurch 2004: Bloody brilliant.

Pip pip!
Limestone Hills/Hot Topic
"She had a snake for a pet, and an amulet,
And she was breeding a dwarf, but it wasn't done yet."

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 03 Apr 2006, 23:39

Six String wrote:
Keith Jarrett Trio in San Francisco circa 1998. An amazing pianist and one of the best piano trios to ever exist on a pretty good night if I do say so.
After this show, his whining voice never bothered me again.

This is with deJohnnette and Peacock, right?

I have seen so many good Richard Thompson shows that I can't really single one or two out.

I can, sort of. Madison, Wisconsin, 1994. The important thing is that Mattacks was on the drums.

The Mekons, Cabaret Metro, 1989 was also a fun show.

Sleater-Kinney, Lounge Ax, ~1995. This was a case in which I knew nothing about the band except that I should know about them. I think this may be the closest to seeing The Who that I will ever get, and I say that having seen a later (post-Moon) incarnation of The Who.

Spurs

Postby Spurs » 03 Apr 2006, 23:43

Fruupp Crawley Collage 1975
I went with a couple of mates from school we got talked into it by a hippy friend, we wore our long french macs (the fashion at the time)to it and she was embarrassed to speak to us, it was the first time I got high without even smoking anything the hall was thick with it, still it was a good gig.

Stranglers crawley sports centre 1978
Gobbing at the Stranglers but hitting the people in front of the stage was the order of the night, good thing about this gig Wire were supporting.

PIL The Rainbow Dec 26th 1978
Pil's second UK gig, just to see Johhny Rotten was amazing at the time. Jah wobble playing bass in a armchair, happy times.

Happy Mondays Ibiza KU 1990
I didn't need an E to enjoy this, I was living there at the time and just had to see what was going on, they came on at 3am great gig great times.

RcL

Postby RcL » 03 Apr 2006, 23:50

The Clash, Dundee Caird Hall January 1980

London Calling Tour and quite early into it, they were still really enjoying playing these songs. There was a busty girl behind me with just a string vest on top. I was 13, and couldn't decide whether The Clash or breasts, two of my favourite things, should be my priority.

New Order, St Andrews University 1980

I saw them better (and far worse) at a later date (geddit). But this was fascinating, as it was not long after Ceremony, and they were doing a few small venues to get back into playing live and to roadtest Gillian. They were pretty subdued and played most of Movement, but not even Ceremony.

The Farmers Boys, Dundee Uni, 1983

Impossible to convince you just how joyous this gig was. They played the wacky card a bit (they couldn't play the hunky card, after all!), but these simple, catchy indie-soul-pop songs just sounded great live. They were Peel favourites at the time (and of course Peel's love of pop has been forgotten and rewritten in the name of post-punk angst and politics) and the crowd were loving it.

Cocteau Twins / Felt, Edinburgh Assembly Rooms 1984

Two bands I loved, both at their peak, both on good form.

Microdisney, Edinburgh Coasters 1987

The best of half a dozen times I saw them, just after Crooked Mile came out. Coughlan is a great showman. Should have been etc etc

Lost Soul Band, Edinburgh Venue, Hogmanay 1990

Should have been etc etc. I saw them dozens of times. For a while, much of my social life involved the crowd who loved this band and its offshoots. Just a wonderful live band. At this gig, at the peak of their local popularity, they came on before midnight and then played Delilah Has Claws, their slow song with a waltzy bit, at midnight and the whole crowd paired off and danced in circles. Sigh.

Labradford, Lemon Tree Aberdeen 1995

Due to feedback and so on, the music went on for 5 minutes after they left the stage and then suddenly shuddered to an eerie stop. Boy did that trick work.

Superstar, Astoria London 2000

This Glaswegian lot were such a good live band and should have been huge.

Michael Nyman, St George's Bristol 2002

Playing selections from his best film music. Tears were shed.

Ella Guru, Bush Hall London 2003

Possibly the best of the lot? Nine Scouse musicians, cock-a-hoop to have an album out and playing in London. I counted 20 different instruments used. The tightest, most confident I've ever seen a band, but still warm and moving. Just astonishing.

I've seen many of my favourite acts: The Smiths, 10,000 Maniacs, Joy Division, Tori Amos, Kate Rusby, Mogwai, Durutti Column, Mojave 3, Dexy's, Cockney Rebel (last two 'reformed'). But these are the gigs that stick out for me.

Geoff
Abba Fan

Postby Geoff » 03 Apr 2006, 23:52

Six String wrote:New Barbarians Dallas, Tx 1979? Keith and Ronnie in fine form.

BASTARD.
megeoff.blogspot.ca

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Apr 2006, 00:07

take5_d_shorterer wrote:
Six String wrote:
Keith Jarrett Trio in San Francisco circa 1998. An amazing pianist and one of the best piano trios to ever exist on a pretty good night if I do say so.
After this show, his whining voice never bothered me again.

This is with deJohnnette and Peacock, right?

[quote]

Correcto Mundo. I would also add that one of the best nights I saw RT was also with the great Dave Mattacks on drums.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Bucolic Old Sir Henry
Trufficulteur

Postby Bucolic Old Sir Henry » 04 Apr 2006, 01:09

Almost forgot:

Viv Stanshall/Roger Ruskin Spear/Bob Kerr's Whoopee Band - Oxford Playhouse - '74: As near a Bonzos reunion as the rag week could put together. RRS was outstanding - astride a giant inflatable penis at one point - while Viv was visibly moved when, during Canyons Of Your Mind, the entire front row (which included Bucolic Young Sir Henry), provided the girly backing vocals ("frying pan, frying pan").

Also saw Python at the Playhouse, that year (I think). Very funny indeed, whatever The Slider might assert.

Pip pip!
Limestone Hills/Hot Topic
"She had a snake for a pet, and an amulet,
And she was breeding a dwarf, but it wasn't done yet."

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 04 Apr 2006, 09:29

Six String wrote:
Stevie Ray Vaughn at Fitgerald's in Houston auditioning for some people from CBS around 1982.

Oh, I forgot Stevie Ray.........
I saw him at the Hammersmith Palais,mid 80's I guess, when he did the whole gig in a feathered Indian headdress with a nose so red you could land planes with it at Heathrow.I think this was just before his rehab started.
Then, about a year later at the Odeon, when he blew the place away.
Cleaned up, he was a bundle of energy,and full of enthusiasm.Great guitarist,great peformer and I still thank the gods I saw him before he died.
Bless the weather.......Image

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 04 Apr 2006, 11:24

sid wrote:Happy Mondays Ibiza KU 1990
I didn't need an E to enjoy this, I was living there at the time and just had to see what was going on, they came on at 3am great gig great times.

I saw them in Birmingham in December of the same year and they were bloody awful.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 04 Apr 2006, 11:45

John Coan wrote:

I saw them in Birmingham in December of the same year and they were bloody awful.

Saw them in Hull 4 years previous supporting The Bodines. They were truly abysmal.

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 04 Apr 2006, 12:04

John Coan wrote:

I've seen them a few times and they were never anything other than shambolic. I always seemed to enjoy them though. It was that feeling of being part of a gang; lunatics who'd taken over the asylum. Heady times.

Of all the gigs on this thread i could have been at, the Mondays in Ibiza is the one i'd choose. And i would have been on E. :P

Scally Mcgrew
apparent poobah

Postby Scally Mcgrew » 04 Apr 2006, 12:30

Dances With Difficulty wrote:Kate Bush - Sunderland Empire 1979

Her one and only tour.....remarkable...met her the day of the gig..even more remarkable!

Bastad.

:wink:
Know what really makes me mad? They clean me with a Brillo pad...

Scally Mcgrew
apparent poobah

Postby Scally Mcgrew » 04 Apr 2006, 12:42

The Stones In The Park, 1969

Mainly, for the fact that I saw The Battered Ornaments, Family, King Crimson, and the great Alexis Korner. The Stones were ok.

Just great being a part of such a memorable day.

Curved Air, Liverpool St Georges hall, 1970

Supporting Tony Williams' Lifetime (with Jack Bruce and John McLaughlin) who were far too loud.

Curved Air were truly electrifying.

Arthur Lee and Love, Newcastle Tyne Theatre, 2003 and 2004

Like a lot of people, I went to the first show expecting something shambolic. yet, it was superb. The 'orchestra' date, five months later, was probably even better. Considering the recent reports of his health and behaviour, looks like most of us saw him at the right time.

Bruce Springsteen, Newcastle City Hall, May 1981

Following his 1975 Hammersmith Odeon shows (which I failed to get tickets for), this was his first show in Britain, as his tour schedule was revised.

It was, and is, the greatest concert I've been to.

A lone spotlight picked out Bruce, sitting on a high stool, strumming an acoustic guitar.

He sang a gentle version of Elvis's 'Follow That Dream', then, on the final note, the hall was plunged into darkness.

The crowd erupted, clapping, stomping and cheering.

Then....the opening chords to 'Prove It All Night' rang out, the stage lights went up, and there was Bruce, with the E-Street Band, blowing everyone away.

Brilliant show.
Know what really makes me mad? They clean me with a Brillo pad...

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 04 Apr 2006, 13:06

Scally Mcgrew wrote:

Bruce Springsteen, Newcastle City Hall, May 1981

Following his 1975 Hammersmith Odeon shows (which I failed to get tickets for), this was his first show in Britain, as his tour schedule was revised.

It was, and is, the greatest concert I've been to.

A lone spotlight picked out Bruce, sitting on a high stool, strumming an acoustic guitar.

He sang a gentle version of Elvis's 'Follow That Dream', then, on the final note, the hall was plunged into darkness.

The crowd erupted, clapping, stomping and cheering.

Then....the opening chords to 'Prove It All Night' rang out, the stage lights went up, and there was Bruce, with the E-Street Band, blowing everyone away.

Brilliant show.

I saw him a few days later-as you say, a tremendous night.
At that moment I believed the hype, and he was the future of rock and roll.
I also loved the whole East Street Band vibe.
Although he did open some shows with "Born to Run", he played it as an encore when I saw him, and it was almost like a group orgasm when they piled into the mythic opening chords,after 2 plus hours of cranking it out.Because "The River" was an album of up-tempo rockers and more reflective soul searching, the tension just went up and up.Great show.
Bless the weather.......Image

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 04 Apr 2006, 13:27

A number of gooduns over the years but 4 stand out.

The first two from the 70's both coincidentally at the Rainbow Theatre

Van Morrison - The shows that were recorded for part of the It's Too Late To Stop Now album

Little Feat - the famous WB tour where they were supporting the Doobie Brothers

Bruce Springsteen - the River tour - caught 3 of these at Birmingham, Wembley and Brighton

and moving up to date - Brian Wilson - Smile at RFC
We're way past rhubarb

Xeopac

Postby Xeopac » 04 Apr 2006, 13:52

Oasis - Finsbury Park, July 2002

The first time I'd ever seen my favourite band, the day after my 19th birthday. Amazing atmosphere, despite all the rain, a great set and a dream realised.

Queens Of The Stoneage, Brixton, June 2003

Loudest, most brilliant technical gig I've ever seen. Flawless from start to finish. Incredible setlist, classic appearance from Mark Lanegan, two encores, almost all of Songs For The Deaf, and it never dragged for a second.

The Datsuns - Shepherd's Bush Empire, July 2003

First and only time I've seen them, but a great rocking performance. Incredible energy and panache, with a superb encore.

The Strokes and The Pixies - V Festival, August 2004

First time I'd seen either band. The Pixies ruthless progression through 25 songs shocked everyone to a blissful trance, playing all the classics. The Strokes managed to match them, picking great songs to play, impressively covering the Clash, and never sounding unruffled.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - London Astoria, October 2005

The best ever. Three hours long, more or less everything they've ever done. It begun with a typical acoustic drawl through a few of the newer songs, then as the band joined, the sound just got bigger and more electrifying. Six song encore, stunning ending, and a night that made you feel like you'd never see anything quite like it again. Heavenly.
Out Of The Frying Pan

Copehead wrote:Morrissey...is a meal at La Manoir au Quat Saison.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 04 Apr 2006, 15:32

Bucolic Old Sir Henry wrote: saw Python at the Playhouse, that year (1974) (I think). Very funny indeed, whatever The Slider might assert.

Of course it was funny.
They would be doing the 90 minutes of stuff that worked:
Cheese shop, Parrot, Lumberjack, spam..
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce

Postby Prez! » 04 Apr 2006, 15:37

02-Nov-77
Stiff Record Package Tour
Friars Club, Aylesbury
Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, Larry Wallace, Nick Lowe & Wreckless Eric.

I even remember it cost £1-75 to get in. Those were the days.

johnnydefault

Postby johnnydefault » 04 Apr 2006, 15:43

Buzzcocks / Joy Division (Oct or November 1979 Edinburgh Odeon)
My first ever gig - absolutely blew me away. Joy Division were un-be-le-va-ble

The Jam (Glasgow Appollo, Nov 1980 )
I was in the front row of the circle - I though it was going to collapse and literally had to hold on to the actual balcony edge it was bouncing that much.

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 04 Apr 2006, 15:48

RcL wrote:The Clash, Dundee Caird Hall January 1980

London Calling Tour and quite early into it, they were still really enjoying playing these songs. There was a busty girl behind me with just a string vest on top. I was 13, and couldn't decide whether The Clash or breasts, two of my favourite things, should be my priority.

There's a poem there Roddy, and I'd love to read it.

Return to “Yakety Yak”