Chaos And Creation In The Backyard

Do talk back
&

Postby & » 10 Apr 2007, 07:03

Sir John Coan wrote:A couple of thoughts - about our reactions, rather than the album itself:

how representative are our sentiments? do most music lovers feel the same way? people you've talked to? have some of us 'infected' the others here in the same way as, say, a genial office colleague can instil positive reactions among peers?

I got at least two friends to listen to - and eventually love - this record.
One of them was not particularly familiar with McCartney and took it on its own merits entirely, finally ending up thinking it was an excellent record (which is a good sign because he wouldn't be giving the old man the handicap I usually do).

The other one is a huge Beatles fan who had to be made to listen to this practically kicking and screaming because he was sure it would be, at the very least, mildly disappointing if not an utter dud because, according to him, every Macca release since '73 has existed between those two points and he's simply not willing to waste his time damaging his perception of the man yet again.

He thinks it's excellent as well.

I think this record made absolutely no impact on the outside world. Unlike 'Flaming Pie' which followed the huge '96 hype, this one just sort of plopped out after the better marketed (but godawful) 'A Bigger Bang'. I suspect it just got easily categorised as yet another decent release by an old fart who nobody really cares about anymore.

In the eyes of the public, Paul McCartney's career would appear to have ended at 'Band On The Run'. It doesn't help that he panders to that point of view on stage all the time.

The fact is nobody cares what Paul McCartney does anymore. Which is a pity because if ever there was an album that could turn a younger generation of unaware people on to his work, this would be it.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Apr 2007, 07:11

I'm sure you're right Angshu - the greater public, and even Beatles fans from years ago, have given up on Macca. And, in all honesty, who can blame them? I certainly never believed he was capable of releasing something as good as this now - it took an awful lot of persuading from people on here. It was the sheer number, and disparity, of the BCB champions that forced me into buying the album. Unfortunately, BCB is (still) a very small fish in a very big musical pool. And, by and large, the album was ignored by the greater rock press - and quickly found itself in the bargain bins, or the internet equivalent. Which is a great shame - because I'd love to see Macca tour on the back of this album, with some of his other material included.

Now that would be worth turning up for, wouldn't it?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

&

Postby & » 10 Apr 2007, 07:21

Diamond Dog wrote:I certainly never believed he was capable of releasing something as good as this now - it took an awful lot of persuading from people on here. It was the sheer number, and disparity, of the BCB champions that forced me into buying the album.

Likewise, and I'm a huge fan of his work! I just don't trust him anymore.

Unfortunately, BCB is (still) a very small fish in a very big musical pool. And, by and large, the album was ignored by the greater rock press.

Which is why I believe BCB should start its own internet review site a la Pitchfork, because if there was ever a bunch of people capable of doing a good job at something like that... :D

Which is a great shame - because I'd love to see Macca tour on the back of this album, with some of his other material included.

Now that would be worth turning up for, wouldn't it?

He should do smaller venues, he really should. Something like this album wouldn't fit with the giant, arena rock sound he has going. That works well for most of the Beatles and the Wings stuff, but it wouldn't serve the intimacy and lushness of this album at all. He should do more dates, cut down on the big screens and the fancy trappings and do 5000 seaters with a string quartet. The entire album, with eight other songs, four on either side and no 'Yesterday'.

But he's on to a good thing with the live shows now, like The Stones because he does songs people love and he plays them well so I doubt he's going to take a flying risk like that and we'll just have to fantasize about it.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 10 Apr 2007, 11:07

You want him to tour small venues with a string section and not do Yesterday? Fat chance!
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

JQW

Postby JQW » 10 Apr 2007, 11:24

I didn't get around to acquiring it until around August last year, and still haven't played the thing!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 25 Apr 2007, 17:24

Can we put this in Classic Threads?
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Chaos And Creation In The Backyard

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Feb 2009, 19:55

BUMP!!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 05 Feb 2009, 20:24

I still think it is a great album - really.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Molony

Postby Molony » 05 Feb 2009, 20:28

So do I.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 06 Feb 2009, 09:57

me too, although now i'm of the opinion that tug of war might have been better. it's such a brilliant album.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 06 Feb 2009, 11:12

Haven't listened to Chaos... in a while. Sync listen sometime?

Molony

Postby Molony » 06 Feb 2009, 15:34

Most definitely.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 04 Apr 2011, 18:42

Really, really good.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Molony

Postby Molony » 04 Apr 2011, 18:51

I'm interested in the suggestion (Fred's?) on another thread, that 'Chaos and Creation' can be viewed as 'McCartney III'. I'm not sure that I see this (beyond the fact that he played nearly all the instruments) as the songs are fully formed in a way that they aren't on the more experimental 'McCartney' and 'McCartney II'. Interesting idea though, because there is a real sadness running through all three albums.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Apr 2011, 18:55

bhoywonder wrote:me too, although now i'm of the opinion that tug of war might have been better. it's such a brilliant album.

Really?

I have nothing between McCartney II and Chaos.... It never occured to me that I might like anything from that period. Assuming you're not simply having a laugh, what's even halfway decent past the 70s?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 04 Apr 2011, 19:00

Molony wrote:I'm interested in the suggestion (Fred's?) on another thread, that 'Chaos and Creation' can be viewed as 'McCartney III'. I'm not sure that I see this (beyond the fact that he played nearly all the instruments) as the songs are fully formed in a way that they aren't on the more experimental 'McCartney' and 'McCartney II'. Interesting idea though, because there is a real sadness running through all three albums.

Didn't Macca and Macca II feature his production as well? As such, CaCitBY doesn't really qualify. As great as the songs on this record are, Nigel Goderich is responsible for how they sound, which is a big part of what makes it so special. I hope they work together again, although I suspect they won't; it didn't sell.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Molony

Postby Molony » 04 Apr 2011, 19:13

Snarfyguy wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:me too, although now i'm of the opinion that tug of war might have been better. it's such a brilliant album.

Really?

I have nothing between McCartney II and Chaos.... It never occured to me that I might like anything from that period. Assuming you're not simply having a laugh, what's even halfway decent past the 70s?

Get 'Flaming Pie' and program the CD thus:

1. The World Tonight
2. Somedays
3. Young Boy
4. Calico Skies
5. Flaming Pie
6. Heaven on a Sunday
7. Souvenir
8. Little Willow
9. Beautiful Night
10. Great Day

and you have a pretty good McCartney album.

Similarly, get 'Driving Rain' and do the same with the following selection:

1. Lonely Road
2. From a Lover to a Friend
3. She's Given Up Talking
4. I Do
5. Your Way
6. About You
7. Heather
8. Back in the Sunshine Again
9. Your Loving Flame
10. Riding into Jaipur
11. Rinse the Raindrops

and you have a decent, if unspectacular, McCartney album.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Apr 2011, 19:37

Thanks, Molony; I'll grab those when I see them second-hand.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 04 Apr 2011, 20:37

BREAKING NEWS

Paul McCartney today was kicked out of the BCB Canon with 155 votes. Caught by reporters just before taking a private jet to Tokyo for his Thursday night concert, McCartney said "I'm gutted. I'm less popular than Jesus and Roxy Music. I had thought I could rely on BCB but, like that bitch I married, they can't be trusted. The only thing I can do now is to get stoned off my tits"

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 04 Apr 2011, 20:43

The Champion wrote:BREAKING NEWS

Paul McCartney today was kicked out of the BCB Canon with 155 votes. Caught by reporters just before taking a private jet to Tokyo for his Thursday night concert, McCartney said "I'm gutted. I'm less popular than Jesus and Roxy Music. I had thought I could rely on BCB but, like that bitch I married, they can't be trusted. The only thing I can do now is to get stoned off my tits"

"It's a drag, you know ..."
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Return to “Yakety Yak”