Cum On Feel the Noize

Do talk back
User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27671
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Apr 2021, 05:33

Was there ever a better terrrace anthem than "Cum On Feel the Noize" by superyob glamboy rockers Slade? A UK national treasure, the hard rock quartet of Holder, Lea, Hill, and Powell ruled the charts in the crisis-ridden 70s and 80s, racking up 23 UK Top 20 singles, six of which reached no.1. Their gonzo rock terrace anthems reverberated all the way to lads in pubs across the country, all swaying, stomping, and clapping along, pint mugs raised, hollering their hits to such intense levels that it sent all competition packing. At Slade's legendary comeback concert at Reading in 1980, they were unbeatable, as if they had never gone away. Their winning streak lasted until 1986, when Noddy walked, and they were last heard from as late as 1991. Vowing never to reform, they were the greatest UK band of the 70s, with a winning streak that lasted even longer than that of the Beatles. They were the true successors to the Fabs, and John Lennon had only the highest praise for Noddy Holder's shredded larynx vocals. And it all began with a Little Richard cover and a live album that was recorded for a paltry £600.

Image
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 7395
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Apr 2021, 08:37

So after all that, it turns out that Googa was a Coan alter-ego all along.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27671
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Apr 2021, 09:31

Darkness_Fish wrote:So after all that, it turns out that Googa was a Coan alter-ego all along.


Not quite - Coan has gone on record stating that Slade only had three or four decent songs. :lol:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Purgatory Brite
Posts: 2926
Joined: 22 Feb 2015, 11:31

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Purgatory Brite » 08 Apr 2021, 10:28

A band that deserves much more recognition and credit for the quality of their music. Their embrace of glam rock and of being a big-selling pop group is held against them.

Their musical ability and song writing skills are over looked. Take for instance, this song of pure Black Country rock which shows that they could been a seriously heavy band had they taken that route instead.


User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 7007
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby jimboo » 08 Apr 2021, 10:43

Noddy Holder has one of the finest voices in the history of recorded music.
Only a fool would dismiss Slade.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

User avatar
OUTPLAY
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19835
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby OUTPLAY » 08 Apr 2021, 11:12

GoogaMooga wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:So after all that, it turns out that Googa was a Coan alter-ego all along.


Not quite - Coan has gone on record stating that Slade only had three or four decent songs. :lol:


Three or four GREAT songs.

Anyway - whatever I said, it wouldn't be half as daft as this:

GoogaMooga wrote:...a winning streak that lasted even longer than that of the Beatles.


:lol:
GoogaMooga wrote:I don't know who it is that is throwing plastic bags overboard from ships, but it certainly isn't me, and I've never met anyone who does that.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3029
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Rorschach » 08 Apr 2021, 11:33

GoogaMooga wrote:... they were last heard from as late as 1991.


No they weren't. The original line-up broke up in 1992. And versions of the band have been performing since 1993.

Obviously, this makes them even more greaterer than the Beatles...
Bugger off.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3029
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Rorschach » 08 Apr 2021, 11:41

OUTPLAY wrote:
Anyway - whatever I said, it wouldn't be half as daft as this:

GoogaMooga wrote:...a winning streak that lasted even longer than that of the Beatles.


:lol:


To be fair, it's probably technically correct. Though what relevance it has to anything, I really can't imagine.
I guess it puts them in the exclusive category of bands and artists who have had some chart success over more than eight years. I mean, there can't be more than a few hundred of them.
Puts them up in that exalted category with Cliff Richard, Barbra Streisand, The Dave Matthews Band, Nas (me neither), Britney Spears and Cher (25 years between number 1 hits!).
Bugger off.

User avatar
OUTPLAY
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19835
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby OUTPLAY » 08 Apr 2021, 12:03

They only had top ten hits from 1971 to 1975, tho' (and I'm not sure the last year even counts - can you remember 'Thanks For The Memory'?) - and then again in 1983 and 1984.

But yeah, they did well. And it's good to see Googa praising something that isn't absolute pigswill for a change :)
GoogaMooga wrote:I don't know who it is that is throwing plastic bags overboard from ships, but it certainly isn't me, and I've never met anyone who does that.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32248
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Apr 2021, 12:23

GoogaMooga wrote:lads in pubs


:roll:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3029
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Rorschach » 08 Apr 2021, 12:28

OUTPLAY wrote:They only had top ten hits from 1971 to 1975, tho' (and I'm not sure the last year even counts - can you remember 'Thanks For The Memory'?) - and then again in 1983 and 1984.


I don't even remember ever hearing of 'Thanks for the Memory'!
The point I was trying to make was that Googa's comment about Slade having a longer 'winning streak' than the Beatles strikes me as somewhat pointless, even if you could argue it was true.

OUTPLAY wrote:But yeah, they did well. And it's good to see Googa praising something that isn't absolute pigswill for a change :)


Ahem. I really couldn't comment, John.
Bugger off.

User avatar
OUTPLAY
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19835
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby OUTPLAY » 08 Apr 2021, 12:45

:o
GoogaMooga wrote:I don't know who it is that is throwing plastic bags overboard from ships, but it certainly isn't me, and I've never met anyone who does that.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62430
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby C » 08 Apr 2021, 13:02

An ex-girlfriend of mine - Mandy [now known as Amanda], who was from Birmingham (near Walsall where Noddy was brought up), used to hang around outside Noddy Holder's parents' house with other fans in hope of seeing Noddy.

Apparently they did a couple of times and he always spoke to them.





.
Jumper K wrote: I can't believe that you'd vote for the dinosaur musings of someone like, lets say C for example, over the choices of a younger more thrusting, engaging scamp such as myself. Prehistoric indeed.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3029
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Rorschach » 08 Apr 2021, 13:07

I saw him and his wife on Mr. and Mrs. once. He seemed like a ver nice, well-balanced and respectable chap.

Then, I read a story about how someone payed him to shit on a sheet of glass while the bloke who was paying him lay underneath the glass.

I've never looked at him quite the same ever since.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32248
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Apr 2021, 13:16

Rorschach wrote:I saw him and his wife on Mr. and Mrs. once. He seemed like a ver nice, well-balanced and respectable chap.

Then, I read a story about how someone payed him to shit on a sheet of glass while the bloke who was paying him lay underneath the glass.

I've never looked at him quite the same ever since.


I heard the same tale about Una Stubbs and wonder if that’s an urban myth with interchangeable ‘famous folks’
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3029
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Rorschach » 08 Apr 2021, 13:21

Nooooooo!
Not Una Stubbs!

Hmmm. This needs investigating.

I'll let you know if I find anything out.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3029
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Rorschach » 08 Apr 2021, 13:28

It seems that he made the claim himself in his autobiography but I don't have the book to hand to prove it.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 7395
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Apr 2021, 14:38

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Rorschach wrote:I saw him and his wife on Mr. and Mrs. once. He seemed like a ver nice, well-balanced and respectable chap.

Then, I read a story about how someone payed him to shit on a sheet of glass while the bloke who was paying him lay underneath the glass.

I've never looked at him quite the same ever since.


I heard the same tale about Una Stubbs and wonder if that’s an urban myth with interchangeable ‘famous folks’

I've heard the same Una Stubbs story. So you have some corroboration now, it must be true.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32248
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Apr 2021, 15:04

I can’t pretend there isn’t humour
In imagining our Una
Squeezing out a turtle head
(Well, that’s what Cliff Richard said!)
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3029
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Cum On Feel the Noize

Postby Rorschach » 08 Apr 2021, 15:29

Minnie the Minx wrote:I can’t pretend there isn’t humour
In imagining our Una
Squeezing out a turtle head
(Well, that’s what Cliff Richard said!)


Una's not that kind of girl!
She wouldn't do that for the world.
This type of humour's very poor
(I've read it was with Roger Moore).
Bugger off.