In defense of trash

Do talk back
User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27671
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

In defense of trash

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 13:03

Yes, I listen to trash. I don't like the term "guilty pleasure", there is nothing to feel guilty about. Who is to judge? We all know that my arch nemesis is a fiercely intelligent man with unquestionably good taste, a man who will go to great lengths to assert his moral, ethical, intellectual, and aesthetic superiority over all mere mortals, a man who is granted diplomatic immunity even as he tears through the china shop, destroying everything in his way. Yes, I listen to trash. I love music. But I wouldn't pay top dollar for everything. To me, the fun is in the hunt, the search for buried treasure. If I find fool's gold in my prospecting, so be it. I got an adventure out of it, and I can move on. And remember this: what is celebrated today, may be scorned tomorrow. Will The Fall stand the test of time?

Image
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44509
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: In defense of trash

Postby Dr. Baron » 05 Apr 2021, 13:35

GoogaMooga wrote:Will The Fall stand the test of time?


Yes.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27671
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: In defense of trash

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 13:38

Dr. Baron wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Will The Fall stand the test of time?


Yes.


To paraphrase myself, "Who am I to judge?" :)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 25378
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: In defense of trash

Postby never/ever » 05 Apr 2021, 13:38



Now that's the discerning music listeners choice of good trash.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27671
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: In defense of trash

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 13:43

Got them, seen them live. :)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6763
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: In defense of trash

Postby robertff » 05 Apr 2021, 14:42

You like what you like Googa, why concern yourself with what others think? We all like what we like don’t we, sometimes it is liked by many others, sometimes by none but who cares? No need to defend your taste or apologise for it.


As much as I like the Fall, I’m not sure they’ll stand the test of time, much like a very large percentage of ‘popular’ music.


.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27671
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: In defense of trash

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 14:47

robertff wrote:You like what you like Googa, why concern yourself with what others think? We all like what we like don’t we, sometimes it is liked by many others, sometimes by none but who cares? No need to defend your taste or apologise for it.


As much as I like the Fall, I’m not sure they’ll stand the test of time, much like a very large percentage of ‘popular’ music.


.


Maybe you'd feel the need to defend, too, if you had been trolled for nine years. But other than that, I agree with what you say.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27671
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: In defense of trash

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 14:48

We always thought, well, at least the Beatles will be played in 100 years. But no, their star is fading now, the kids don't care. And Elvis is ancient history.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6763
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: In defense of trash

Postby robertff » 05 Apr 2021, 14:51

GoogaMooga wrote:
robertff wrote:You like what you like Googa, why concern yourself with what others think? We all like what we like don’t we, sometimes it is liked by many others, sometimes by none but who cares? No need to defend your taste or apologise for it.


As much as I like the Fall, I’m not sure they’ll stand the test of time, much like a very large percentage of ‘popular’ music.


.


Maybe you'd feel the need to defend, too, if you had been trolled for nine years. But other than that, I agree with what you say.



I understand what you say Googa but I think the more you defend yourself to this sort of thing the more it continues. Best to ignore perhaps and not rise to the bait?


.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6763
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: In defense of trash

Postby robertff » 05 Apr 2021, 15:07

Elvis’ popularity was always going to decline for a variety or reasons, primarily because he didn’t write his own music and he was a pawn but check out the percentage of young people streaming Beatles’ music and the quantity streamed, they’re not disappearing anytime soon. The 50th anniversary issue of Abbey Road, reached no. 3 on the Billboard chart, not bad going for a 50 year old record.

They might well be yesterday’s news in 100 years’ time though.


.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27671
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: In defense of trash

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 18:05

robertff wrote:Elvis’ popularity was always going to decline for a variety or reasons, primarily because he didn’t write his own music and he was a pawn but check out the percentage of young people streaming Beatles’ music and the quantity streamed, they’re not disappearing anytime soon. The 50th anniversary issue of Abbey Road, reached no. 3 on the Billboard chart, not bad going for a 50 year old record.

They might well be yesterday’s news in 100 years’ time though.


.


Oh yes, there is more mileage in the Fabs yet. But 100 years from now, I am not so sure.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 18651
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: In defense of trash

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Apr 2021, 02:04

GoogaMooga wrote:Will The Fall stand the test of time?


They never even passed the test, never mind the test of time.

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 18651
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: In defense of trash

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Apr 2021, 02:06

GoogaMooga wrote:We always thought, well, at least the Beatles will be played in 100 years. But no, their star is fading now, the kids don't care. And Elvis is ancient history.

I disagree abut the Beatles. I notice young generations enjoying their songs a lot even if they're not fully aware of who the Beatles are.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27671
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: In defense of trash

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Apr 2021, 06:24

trans-chigley express wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Will The Fall stand the test of time?


They never even passed the test, never mind the test of time.


8-)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 38152
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: In defense of trash

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 06 Apr 2021, 09:08

Dr. Baron wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Will The Fall stand the test of time?


Yes.




Shouldn't that be: yes-ah
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 47459
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: In defense of trash

Postby The Slider » 06 Apr 2021, 14:15

never/ever wrote:

Now that's the discerning music listeners choice of good trash.



The Complete Jah Bob Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.
Image