Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Do talk back
User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 21300
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby Muskrat » 29 Mar 2021, 21:52

LMG wrote:It was outside the BBC and the Yes keyboardist was not looking where he was going as he crossed the road while intent on eating a sandwich...


The cape gave it away.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 2949
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby Hightea » 30 Mar 2021, 00:04

LMG wrote:
Hightea wrote:
Rick Wakeman?


Damn! Rumbled!

Although funnily enough, when I shared a house with The Slider, one day he came home and mentioned he had nearly run over Rick Wakeman with his motor scooter.

It was outside the BBC and the Yes keyboardist was not looking where he was going as he crossed the road while intent on eating a sandwich. John stopped and looked back and shouted he should look where he was going, before realising he was addressing the creator of both Journey To The Centre Of The Earth narrated by David Hemmings and Return To The Centre Of The Earth featuring Patrick Stewart.

He suggested it would have dreadful, as he was such a fan of Yes, had he collided with and injured - possibly even killed - his keyboard idol. I said it was resonant of the regretful claim of a WWII Luftwaffe pilot that he had shot down the airplane of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, author of The Little Prince, a book he had loved as a child.

John said 'Never heard of him - but we're saying in the special section of Hell reserved for people who killed their heroes, there might well have been Mark Chapman, this German guy you're talking about, and me...'

Ha cool story - I almost ran over one of the Strokes
Image

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 11207
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby LMG » 30 Mar 2021, 00:07

Hightea wrote:
LMG wrote:
Hightea wrote:
Rick Wakeman?


Damn! Rumbled!

Although funnily enough, when I shared a house with The Slider, one day he came home and mentioned he had nearly run over Rick Wakeman with his motor scooter.

It was outside the BBC and the Yes keyboardist was not looking where he was going as he crossed the road while intent on eating a sandwich. John stopped and looked back and shouted he should look where he was going, before realising he was addressing the creator of both Journey To The Centre Of The Earth narrated by David Hemmings and Return To The Centre Of The Earth featuring Patrick Stewart.

He suggested it would have dreadful, as he was such a fan of Yes, had he collided with and injured - possibly even killed - his keyboard idol. I said it was resonant of the regretful claim of a WWII Luftwaffe pilot that he had shot down the airplane of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, author of The Little Prince, a book he had loved as a child.

John said 'Never heard of him - but we're saying in the special section of Hell reserved for people who killed their heroes, there might well have been Mark Chapman, this German guy you're talking about, and me...'

Ha cool story - I almost ran over one of the Strokes


I take it there were people looking so you couldn't go back for another attempt?
"We're a very quiet village, famous around the world for our kippers. These flower pots are just daft and ruin the look of the place."

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 2949
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby Hightea » 30 Mar 2021, 00:30

LMG wrote:
Hightea wrote:
LMG wrote:
Damn! Rumbled!

Although funnily enough, when I shared a house with The Slider, one day he came home and mentioned he had nearly run over Rick Wakeman with his motor scooter.

It was outside the BBC and the Yes keyboardist was not looking where he was going as he crossed the road while intent on eating a sandwich. John stopped and looked back and shouted he should look where he was going, before realising he was addressing the creator of both Journey To The Centre Of The Earth narrated by David Hemmings and Return To The Centre Of The Earth featuring Patrick Stewart.

He suggested it would have dreadful, as he was such a fan of Yes, had he collided with and injured - possibly even killed - his keyboard idol. I said it was resonant of the regretful claim of a WWII Luftwaffe pilot that he had shot down the airplane of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, author of The Little Prince, a book he had loved as a child.

John said 'Never heard of him - but we're saying in the special section of Hell reserved for people who killed their heroes, there might well have been Mark Chapman, this German guy you're talking about, and me...'

Ha cool story - I almost ran over one of the Strokes


I take it there were people looking so you couldn't go back for another attempt?

Ha no but a few weeks later I kicked Nikolai(bassplayer) at CBGB

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62430
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby C » 30 Mar 2021, 11:18

LMG wrote:Tom Robinson
Chris Hillman
Captain Sensible
Phil Manzanera
Roy Harper
June Tabor
Vladimir Ashkenazy
Lene Lovich
John Cooper Clarke
Bill Nelson
Gaye Advert
Rick Wakeman
Hugh Hopper
Jakko Jakszyk
Martin Carthy
Rod Argent


Rod Argent....?




.
Jumper K wrote: I can't believe that you'd vote for the dinosaur musings of someone like, lets say C for example, over the choices of a younger more thrusting, engaging scamp such as myself. Prehistoric indeed.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21552
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby Jimbly » 30 Mar 2021, 13:37

Ian Anderson
Jon Anderson
Chris Squire
Sting
Peter Gabriel
Donald Lunny
Ronnie Tutt
Bill Nelson
Joe Strummer
Gordon Giltrap
Jackie Leven
Robert Calvert
Bono
Robert Fripp
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62430
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby C » 30 Mar 2021, 13:46

Jimbly wrote:Ian Anderson
Jon Anderson
Chris Squire
Sting
Peter Gabriel
Donald Lunny
Ronnie Tutt
Bill Nelson
Joe Strummer
Gordon Giltrap
Jackie Leven
Robert Calvert
Bono
Robert Fripp


Robert Calvert?


.
Jumper K wrote: I can't believe that you'd vote for the dinosaur musings of someone like, lets say C for example, over the choices of a younger more thrusting, engaging scamp such as myself. Prehistoric indeed.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21552
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby Jimbly » 30 Mar 2021, 14:04

C wrote:
Jimbly wrote:Ian Anderson
Jon Anderson
Chris Squire
Sting
Peter Gabriel
Donald Lunny
Ronnie Tutt
Bill Nelson
Joe Strummer
Gordon Giltrap
Jackie Leven
Robert Calvert
Bono
Robert Fripp


Robert Calvert?


.


Incorrect
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 4684
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 30 Mar 2021, 14:58

Jimbly wrote:Ian Anderson
Jon Anderson
Chris Squire
Sting
Peter Gabriel
Donald Lunny
Ronnie Tutt
Bill Nelson
Joe Strummer
Gordon Giltrap
Jackie Leven
Robert Calvert
Bono
Robert Fripp


Fripp
Give a shit or be a shit.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62430
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby C » 30 Mar 2021, 15:42

Jimbly wrote:
C wrote:
Jimbly wrote:Ian Anderson
Jon Anderson
Chris Squire
Sting
Peter Gabriel
Donald Lunny
Ronnie Tutt
Bill Nelson
Joe Strummer
Gordon Giltrap
Jackie Leven
Robert Calvert
Bono
Robert Fripp


Robert Calvert?


.


Incorrect


Well, there's a fair old list there lad!

Take out the Irish blokes - you've probably met them that leaves Fripp....




.
Jumper K wrote: I can't believe that you'd vote for the dinosaur musings of someone like, lets say C for example, over the choices of a younger more thrusting, engaging scamp such as myself. Prehistoric indeed.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21552
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby Jimbly » 30 Mar 2021, 15:44

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
Jimbly wrote:Ian Anderson
Jon Anderson
Chris Squire
Sting
Peter Gabriel
Donald Lunny
Ronnie Tutt
Bill Nelson
Joe Strummer
Gordon Giltrap
Jackie Leven
Robert Calvert
Bono
Robert Fripp


Fripp


incorrect
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21552
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby Jimbly » 30 Mar 2021, 15:48

C wrote:
Jimbly wrote:
C wrote:
Robert Calvert?


.


Incorrect


Well, there's a fair old list there lad!

Take out the Irish blokes - you've probably met them that leaves Fripp....




.


No, he actually spoke to me to ask if I'd enjoyed the gig. I was sitting on the steps of the Edinburgh Playhouse after the League of Gentlemen had played the small club upstairs.

Only two Irish blokes on the list.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman
Posts: 17819
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: Unrecognized Genius, Me.

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 30 Mar 2021, 17:19

Brian Wilson

Van Dyke Parks

Pere Ubu (the original band, c. 1980)

Agnetha Faltskog

Frank Sidebottom
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

User avatar
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman
Posts: 17819
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: Unrecognized Genius, Me.

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 30 Mar 2021, 17:20

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman wrote:Brian Wilson

Van Dyke Parks

Pere Ubu (the original band, c. 1980)

Agnetha Fältskog

Frank Sidebottom
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

User avatar
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman
Posts: 17819
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: Unrecognized Genius, Me.

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 30 Mar 2021, 17:20

(edited away)
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 18530
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: Famous musicians I have talked to plus a lie

Postby pcqgod » 31 Mar 2021, 04:14

Ramones
Sarah Cracknell
William Shatner
Ian McLagan
Tennessee Ernie Ford
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?