First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Do talk back
User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32234
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby Minnie the Minx » 26 Mar 2021, 12:08

GoogaMooga wrote:As for Minnie's and LMG's little "driving" exchange: are you trying to imply that I somehow wouldn't know that "drive" has got more than one meaning? Just because I made one, lousy mistake by confusing "in/out of a trunk" in another thread a while back? Feel free to correct me if I ever make a mistake, but I really don't think this sort of thing is necessary. I chose BCB and suffered years of John's bullying, precisely because this place has a high level of English. I thought it would be a good way to maintain my own English proficiency. And of course, talk about music.


You need to smoke something else pal. This is some top end paranoia.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 18243
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby Tactful Cactus » 26 Mar 2021, 14:06

I'm remembering when Elliott Smith died, my first instinct was to come on this board because I knew I could share some of the shock and sadness with people who understood. I was in work at the time so nobody around me knew or cared who he was, being on this board helped. It was a sad day and just so tragic that he couldn't get out of that vicious downward cycle he was in.

First memory was probably Phil Lynnott, a big deal in Ireland. Practically a national day of mourning, but I didn't really know who he was.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27626
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Mar 2021, 14:09

Minnie the Minx wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:As for Minnie's and LMG's little "driving" exchange: are you trying to imply that I somehow wouldn't know that "drive" has got more than one meaning? Just because I made one, lousy mistake by confusing "in/out of a trunk" in another thread a while back? Feel free to correct me if I ever make a mistake, but I really don't think this sort of thing is necessary. I chose BCB and suffered years of John's bullying, precisely because this place has a high level of English. I thought it would be a good way to maintain my own English proficiency. And of course, talk about music.


You need to smoke something else pal. This is some top end paranoia.


Well, that is good to know. You have completely allayed my fears. Sorry to have brought it up, but I needed to get it off my chest. English means a lot to me. :)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 2943
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby Hightea » 26 Mar 2021, 14:55

Tactful Cactus wrote:I'm remembering when Elliott Smith died, my first instinct was to come on this board because I knew I could share some of the shock and sadness with people who understood. I was in work at the time so nobody around me knew or cared who he was, being on this board helped. It was a sad day and just so tragic that he couldn't get out of that vicious downward cycle he was in.


Yes this one hit me too. I saw Elliott live on both 6/7 and 6/8/03 only a few months before he died. He was absolutely in a bad place. On the 6/8 show he did his do you want me to play an old or new song. Several people called out old song names so I screamed out please play something new. It put a smile on his face, which is the last image I'll remember about him. I took this picture that night.

Image

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12749
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby Geezee » 26 Mar 2021, 17:44

Hightea wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:I'm remembering when Elliott Smith died, my first instinct was to come on this board because I knew I could share some of the shock and sadness with people who understood. I was in work at the time so nobody around me knew or cared who he was, being on this board helped. It was a sad day and just so tragic that he couldn't get out of that vicious downward cycle he was in.


Yes this one hit me too. I saw Elliott live on both 6/7 and 6/8/03 only a few months before he died. He was absolutely in a bad place. On the 6/8 show he did his do you want me to play an old or new song. Several people called out old song names so I screamed out please play something new. It put a smile on his face, which is the last image I'll remember about him. I took this picture that night.

Image


Yes pretty sure I found out about that on here. It was good to be with friends.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44496
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby Dr. Baron » 26 Mar 2021, 19:01

I honestly don't remember which music death I first took note of. I definitely remember lots about 1980 (I was six) but have no recollection whatsoever about John Lennon. I don't know which one affected me most. I suppose Cobain was pretty shocking, I saw them on the In Utero tour and it was obvious he wasn't in a good place. Elliott Smith was bad as well, but again, not totally shocking. I saw him a lot through the years and felt close to those records. George Jones's death was bad for me, though he had lived longer than anyone might've predicted and had stopped making music I was interested in decades before. Though I would say George Harrison's death was probably the one I felt the most deeply. Which is a little weird.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 41820
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby kath » 26 Mar 2021, 20:12

i remember jimi, janis, and jim. i was too young really to process it aright. i remember jim croce. i was 9 or 10. i remember the skynyrd stuff. by then, i was a teen, and i had the same maiden name as two of the people who died. friends called me up and all. then i had to live in natchitoches when i got kicked outta high school, '78. and my aunt vera, who never talked about that kinda stuff, one night told me that people were runnin to take pieces off of croce's plane.

but it was lennon that really hit me.

Six String
Posts: 21624
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby Six String » 26 Mar 2021, 20:19

Though I remember the death of Brian Jones it wasn’t as meaningful as a few others later. Partly because he wasmout of the band and secondly I wouldn’t really appreciate what he brought to the band until years later.
Jimi Hendrix was the first that really saddened me along with Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison though Morrison less so. Jimi’s passing was such a shock. I learned of his death when my best friend and I came home from school. All we could do was go up to Gene’s room and listen to Jimi’s music.

Lennon of course was another huge shock, especially as someone else noted, the way he died. It still feels a little surreal to me.

Bob Marley’s passing was also a tremendous shock to my system. I was heavily into reggae at the time so he was of course a big part of my musical world. If only he had gone to a hospital early on in his diagnosis, he might still be with us.

Almost forgot, C reminded me of Duane and Berry’s passing a year apart. I too was a huge ABB fan at the time and the loss was huge.

Many more that followed but as the question was the first music death I am already over my limit.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 11181
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby LMG » 27 Mar 2021, 10:12

GoogaMooga wrote:As for Minnie's and LMG's little "driving" exchange: are you trying to imply that I somehow wouldn't know that "drive" has got more than one meaning? Just because I made one, lousy mistake by confusing "in/out of a trunk" in another thread a while back? Feel free to correct me if I ever make a mistake, but I really don't think this sort of thing is necessary. I chose BCB and suffered years of John's bullying, precisely because this place has a high level of English. I thought it would be a good way to maintain my own English proficiency. And of course, talk about music.


Image

"Ah, come in, Mister Googs, I have been expecting you. Welcome to you and your lovely companion, I do hope you have had a pleasant...drive?. I see you have already met my assistant, the capable Miss Minx, and I hope this was not too stressful an encounter for you.

You have many questions, no doubt, Mister Googs, and as neither of you will be leaving my secret volcano headquarters alive, I have no issues in describing my plans to you in full. You see Mister Googs, for some years now the world has relied primarily on the digital format for satisfying its dependence on the playback of recorded music..."
Last edited by LMG on 27 Mar 2021, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
"We're a very quiet village, famous around the world for our kippers. These flower pots are just daft and ruin the look of the place."

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 18243
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby Tactful Cactus » 27 Mar 2021, 10:14

Hightea wrote:Yes this one hit me too. I saw Elliott live on both 6/7 and 6/8/03 only a few months before he died. He was absolutely in a bad place. On the 6/8 show he did his do you want me to play an old or new song. Several people called out old song names so I screamed out please play something new. It put a smile on his face, which is the last image I'll remember about him. I took this picture that night.


You're lucky you got to see him live, even under those circumstances. I realized him around Figure 8 and I don't think he was touring Europe as much by then.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27626
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Mar 2021, 12:19

LMG wrote:"Ah, come in, Mister Googs, I have been expecting you. Welcome to you and your lovely companion, I do hope you have had a pleasant...drive?. I see you have already met my assistant, the capable Miss Minx, and I hope this was not too stressful an encounter for you.

You have many questions, no doubt, Mister Googs, and as neither of you will be leaving my secret volcano headquarters alive, I have no issues in describing my plans to you in full. You see Mister Googs, for some years now the world has relied primarily on the digital format for satisfying its dependence on the playback of recorded music..."


:lol: :lol: Brilliant!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62367
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby C » 27 Mar 2021, 19:14

Tactful Cactus wrote:First memory was probably Phil Lynnott, a big deal in Ireland. Practically a national day of mourning, but I didn't really know who he was.


The prog goons have heard this many times.

But back in 1971, a couple of months before the UK went to 'decimal currency' [Decimalisation] I attended a gig at the Lyceum London and saw Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath and Ten Years After on the same bill for 10/- [ten shillings - 50pence].

Annie Nightingale was the DJ and I sat at one of the few tables and on the next table was Phil Lynott. He and I chatted for about 20 minutes about music and stuff and he told me that he was a big Tull fan.

A good lad

I think I got my money's worth that evening






.
C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: ooooff

(sp)

User avatar
Fireplug
Posts: 3619
Joined: 23 Jan 2009, 18:59

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby Fireplug » 30 Mar 2021, 10:36

Cobain was a shock. Freddie Mercury dying was memorable too because I'd been a big fan when I was a kid. Johnny Cash too of course but he was old and it was expected.

The real double blow for me was Prince then Chris Cornell. The news broke about Prince just as we were on our way to a Cornell solo show. He talked to the crowd about it, had the stage lights turned purple then did a Prince cover. It was incredible, masterful; shared sadness turned into a celebration of Prince's life.

When Chris went himself not that long after I was genuinely affected. He was one of the defining voices of my generation, more than Cobain had been for me personally.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12749
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby Geezee » 30 Mar 2021, 13:53

Fireplug wrote:Cobain was a shock. Freddie Mercury dying was memorable too because I'd been a big fan when I was a kid. Johnny Cash too of course but he was old and it was expected.

The real double blow for me was Prince then Chris Cornell. The news broke about Prince just as we were on our way to a Cornell solo show. He talked to the crowd about it, had the stage lights turned purple then did a Prince cover. It was incredible, masterful; shared sadness turned into a celebration of Prince's life.

When Chris went himself not that long after I was genuinely affected. He was one of the defining voices of my generation, more than Cobain had been for me personally.


I remember sitting in a restaurant on a date night wiht my wife, and while there was a lull in the conversation I noticed a picture of Prince on the phones of several people in the tables around us. It seemed too coincidental and I went to check my own phone (which I avoid religiously otherwise at the dinner table) and saw the news. It's probably me misremembering but i could have sworn that a hush swept through the restaurant as table after table saw the news.

Cornell was a real gut punch to me as well.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON