Prediction: Prog goons love this

Do talk back
User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2994
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby Rorschach » 18 Mar 2021, 20:50

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard got a lot of mentions among 'BCB albums of the year' in 2017 but not a lot outside of that that I can see.

Well this is from this year (modern music!) but I'm pretty I sure I've got it right this time in believing that this prog.
Non-standard time signature - check!
Stops for no good reason and then starts up again - check!
Meaningless lyrics with fantasy and horror elements - check!

Anyway, let me know whether or not I've finally cracked it.

Bugger off.

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 537
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby mudshark » 18 Mar 2021, 23:13

Think your post is really funny in its depiction of what we've learned to be is prog.
You're spot on, of course. I'm not an expert on the genre (far from it), but I'd say the aficionados will say this band great while overlooking the fact that it's almost plagiarism; It sounds like the worst shit King Crimson has ever recorded.

I'm not a prog hater per se. I really do like some of it: a few Yessongs when Jon Anderson shuts the fuck up, almost all of VDGG as long as Hugh Jackson is in it, most of Jethro up to War Child, and some more. But Prog is like a weed. It spreads far and wide and has become a Pest. Send a decent musician to a music school and soon he feels a simple blues or reggae beat is beneath him because he can do 327 notes a minute. Ever listened to Spock's Beard? I've tried a few years ago, and it didn't end well. I still feel the effects. It's a cacophony of sounds, too often interrupted by a Very Charismatic singer who failed the opera test. I was in the book shop and discovered they've got their own magazine?!?!? It's like the invasion of the bodysnatchers. Don't let them get you.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 47458
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby The Slider » 19 Mar 2021, 16:27

It's prog
I don't like it much though
But then I don't like prog for prog's sake like most of the goons appear to
I like good prog (and Emerson Lake and Palmer)
This is not good prog (or Emerson Lake and Palmer).
The Complete Jah Bob Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62367
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby C » 19 Mar 2021, 16:52

It's nice that the youngsters attempt to keep the prog genre 'present' but this is not to my liking.

It's somewhat derivative of what was done half a century ago.

I can hear Crimso, GG, Leaf Hound, National Health, Gong, early Camel and even Edgar Broughton in there.

If I want to hear the aforementioned I'll dig out the real thing.

Thanks for posting though

[My prediction is that the Prog Goon Inner Conclave will not be favourable....]




.
C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: ooooff

(sp)

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6744
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby robertff » 19 Mar 2021, 17:02

C wrote:It's nice that the youngsters attempt to keep the prog genre 'present' but this is not to my liking.

It's somewhat derivative of what was done half a century ago.

I can hear Crimso, GG, Leaf Hound, National Health, Gong, early Camel and even Edgar Broughton in there.

If I want to hear the aforementioned I'll dig out the real thing.

Thanks for posting though

.




At the risk of sounding terribly old and dull I share your sentiments C.

There are a few newer bands that i like but they are few and far between. One I really like is Wolf People, they appear to mix early Wishbone Ash, Richard Thompson, Jethro Tull and Traffic if such a thing is possible. They are both noisy and melodic with some angular sounds at the same time. You might like them C. your kind of thing I would reckon.



.

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 47458
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby The Slider » 19 Mar 2021, 17:14

C wrote:I can hear Crimso


Not good Crimso though. 80s Crimso.
The Complete Jah Bob Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.
Image

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 537
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby mudshark » 19 Mar 2021, 18:27

Surely not early 80s KC? That's when they did Discipline, and Fripp had his album with The League of Gentlemen. Those 2 are amongst the best stuff he ever did! If you refer to the right side Three of a Perfect Pair, with Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Part III) on it, then I fully agree.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62367
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby C » 19 Mar 2021, 19:49

The Slider wrote:
C wrote:I can hear Crimso


Not good Crimso though. 80s Crimso.


Agreed Johnny-lad

Agreed



.
C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: ooooff

(sp)

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 41820
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby kath » 19 Mar 2021, 20:14

Rorschach wrote:King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard got a lot of mentions among 'BCB albums of the year' in 2017 but not a lot outside of that that I can see.

Well this is from this year (modern music!) but I'm pretty I sure I've got it right this time in believing that this prog.
Non-standard time signature - check!
Stops for no good reason and then starts up again - check!
Meaningless lyrics with fantasy and horror elements - check!

Anyway, let me know whether or not I've finally cracked it.



i like it. it doesn't bowl me over, but got its own funkayy and some nice gweetarage.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 41820
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby kath » 19 Mar 2021, 20:17

The Slider wrote:But then I don't like prog for prog's sake like most of the goons appear to


what? that's a silly thing to say.

i don't like all rock for rock's sake.
i don't like all prog for prog's sake.
i don't like all bubblegum pop for bubblegum pop's sake.
i don't like all classical for classical's sake.
i don't like all mystery novels for mystery's sake.
i don't like all sci-fi movies for sci-fi's sake.

however, i am with you on ELP, mwhahaha.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 41820
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby kath » 19 Mar 2021, 20:19

C wrote:
The Slider wrote:
C wrote:I can hear Crimso


Not good Crimso though. 80s Crimso.


Agreed Johnny-lad

Agreed



.


i LOVE discipline.

... bastardry.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2994
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby Rorschach » 19 Mar 2021, 21:19

Sigh. It looks like I'll never get it.

As I'm sure you all know, I don't really get prog and I can't understand why anyone likes it. I recognise that people who know and care far more about their music that I do, love that stuff but I don't get it.
I keep trying to understand by finding stuff that I think fits the template but I never get it right.

Back to the drawing board...
Bugger off.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 41820
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby kath » 19 Mar 2021, 22:02

Rorschach wrote:Sigh. It looks like I'll never get it.

As I'm sure you all know, I don't really get prog and I can't understand why anyone likes it. I recognise that people who know and care far more about their music that I do, love that stuff but I don't get it.
I keep trying to understand by finding stuff that I think fits the template but I never get it right.

Back to the drawing board...


i think you've got it here. i do.

this is very 80s crimson, nigh-porcupine tree stuff. and i love that stuff, regardless of what certain beloved bastards say.

and yes, it is prog.

cheers.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2994
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby Rorschach » 20 Mar 2021, 11:03

kath wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Sigh. It looks like I'll never get it.

As I'm sure you all know, I don't really get prog and I can't understand why anyone likes it. I recognise that people who know and care far more about their music that I do, love that stuff but I don't get it.
I keep trying to understand by finding stuff that I think fits the template but I never get it right.

Back to the drawing board...


i think you've got it here. i do.

this is very 80s crimson, nigh-porcupine tree stuff. and i love that stuff, regardless of what certain beloved bastards say.

and yes, it is prog.

cheers.


hank you Kath! You have restored my self-esteem. Now I just have to refine my newly developing instincts and work out what 'good' prog is.

By the way, having read up a little on this band I suspect there's an element of homage (pronounce French style) rather than them being a proper prog band, a bit like Dukes of the Stratosphere type thing.

But I could be imagining that.
Bugger off.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62367
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby C » 20 Mar 2021, 13:49

robertff wrote:They are both noisy and melodic with some angular sounds at the same time. You might like them C. your kind of thing I would reckon.

.


Thanks Rob - I like a bit of noise me.

I have my Built to Spill albums on constant loop at the moment but will give your recommendation a listen.

There you go - BtS are a new band.....!




.
C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: ooooff

(sp)

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62367
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby C » 20 Mar 2021, 13:50

kath wrote:
C wrote:
The Slider wrote:
Not good Crimso though. 80s Crimso.


Agreed Johnny-lad

Agreed



.


i LOVE discipline.

... bastardry.


Don’t get me started on the band Discipline...




:D
C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: ooooff

(sp)

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62367
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby C » 20 Mar 2021, 13:53

Tym lad - I acknowledged it was prog earlier but just not to my liking.

As Zappa said: you either get it or you don’t.

No harm done if you don’t

Incidentally, here are two examples of 'good' prog









.
C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: ooooff

(sp)

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62367
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby C » 20 Mar 2021, 13:58

Then there's Broad Church prog...





:lol:
C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: ooooff

(sp)

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 47458
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby The Slider » 20 Mar 2021, 14:37

If it was made by Genesis, Yes or King Crimson in the first half of the 1970s then it is top notch prog.

That is your short cut
The Complete Jah Bob Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.
Image

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 47458
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby The Slider » 20 Mar 2021, 16:42

Or if you want a slightly more in-depth introduction.

The Slider Presents: An Introduction to Progressive Rock
A carefully curated 2 CD equivalent compilation in 320kbs Mp3 format that serves exactly the purpose stated (before everyone starts banging on about the inclusion of this and the absence of that) .
The Complete Jah Bob Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.
Image