Do you Spotify?

Do talk back
Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Do you Spotify?

Postby Rorschach » 15 Mar 2021, 14:49

I do pretty well all of my listening to music on Spotify these days.
The Slider considers it the work of the devil because the music is so badly organised and they keep having the wrong versions or they're mislabeled or something. I have to admit that I have come across a few tracks that are clearly not the original versions and may even be horrible re-recordings, not by the original artist, but in general I'm perfectly happy with what I get.
I don't have to cough any more for stuff that sounds like it might be interesting and then never listen to it while it gathers dust on the IKEA shelves; I just open Spotify and have a quick listen. And then never listen to it again but at least it doesn't gather dust.

It also suits me because I don't have the time or patience to listen to entire albums any more. With Spotify I can just listen to the tracks I want to or listen to an album once and save the tracks I like to a playlist.

So you can count me as a fan.

How about the rest of you?

I was interested in something Toomanyhatz said earlier today:

toomanyhatz wrote:I could make a decent one-CD playlist out of post-Parachute stuff ...

I'd like to hear that playlist so if you're on Spotify ...

And, for that matter, anyone else who's on Spotify, I'd be interested in seeing what playlists you have. I even have a few myself. It shouldn't be too hard for us to produce a lot of playlists curated by experts in a certain band or genre.
Any takers?

I'm 'tymking' if anyones looking for me.
Bugger off.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Re: Do you Spotify?

Postby ChrisB » 15 Mar 2021, 14:57

I still use Soulseek :oops: Print album covers, still buy jewel cases etc ....much rather have a cd than nothing

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 15 Mar 2021, 15:01

slightbreeze wrote:I still use Soulseek :oops: Print album covers, still buy jewel cases etc ....much rather have a cd than nothing

Oh wow. Is that still going? I used to use it a lot back in the day, but I haven't been near it for years.

Well, good for you. I sort of wish I had the patience and motivation to do that but I'm too lazy now.
Bugger off.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Mar 2021, 16:10

Qobuz - not an MP3 in sight all CD quality or Hi Res

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 Mar 2021, 16:12

In short - no.

Prefer physical copy, preferably vinyl - CD is just fine too.

If I ever have to downsize, or have to get rid of all my music, I might go down the Spotify route, or whatever, but like so many here I guess I have so many records, enough to keep me listening to music for the rest of my life I should think. I really haven't found current music to be of particular interest and when I have bought 'new music' it never has the lasting impact of the music that I already know and much prefer.

Probably makes me sound very old, dull and decrepit but until comparatively recently, in my own timeline, I used to buy new music regularly until it ceased to be of interest. Currently, and has been for a while, my new music is music I missed out on when I was younger.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Mar 2021, 16:20

robertff wrote: I really haven't found current music to be of particular interest and when I have bought 'new music' it never has the lasting impact of the music that I already know and much prefer.

Agreed - but I use Qobuz to play the old stuff I already have.

I can play it in umpteen rooms in the house too

I just bought this for the conservatory for when I'm reading or doing the crossword in my armchair

[Googled image]

No microphone so it can't talk to me which is great and no Bluetooth either so it sounds better through WiFi.

I still can't resist buying a few 'old' things even if they go on the shelf unplayed [because I stream them]

Rory's Check Shirt Wizard was a recent acquisition despite listening to it previously 20 odd times

That's the collector in me.

I needed it!

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 Mar 2021, 16:27

C wrote:
robertff wrote: I really haven't found current music to be of particular interest and when I have bought 'new music' it never has the lasting impact of the music that I already know and much prefer.

Agreed - but I use Qobuz to play the old stuff I already have.

I can play it in umpteen rooms in the house too

I just bought this for the conservatory for when I'm reading or doing the crossword in my armchair

[Googled image]

No microphone so it can't talk to me which is great and no Bluetooth either so it sounds better through WiFi.

I still can't resist buy-in a few old things even if they go on the shelf unplayed [because I stream them]

Rory's Check Shirt Wizard was a recent acquisition despite listening to it previously 20 odd times

That's the collector in me.

I needed it!

I only have one listening room equipped with a very good hi-fi and that's the room I spend most of my day in, apart from when I'm painting and then I use an old ghetto blaster. I don't need to listen all the time, sometimes I just like the quiet and I rarely listen to music, or anything for that matter, in the car.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Mar 2021, 16:38

No. I do have a spotify free account, but I can't remember the last time I used it. I'm generally with the preferring the physical format crowd here. For one thing, I believe that an actual investment into the music gives you the incentive to try and find its qualities, if you fork out a tenner, or whatever, on a CD or a slab of vinyl, you're less likely to give it just one listen and forget about it. How much great music is actually that immediate? I mean, I do still use bandcamp and youtube to check things out too, but even then, a cursory listen can be such a disinterested activity.

I find it harder to actually have an idea what to listen to, too, if I don't have the physical product all stacked up somewhere. The number of times I've actually reached for one record, and played something completely different just because it caught my eye. I guess I'm just a techie who's a technophobe to some extent.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 15 Mar 2021, 16:59

I pay for it and I like it. I don't use it all the time, but it comes in handy. My physical media collection is pretty haphazard. I don't have a lot of "complete runs" or whatever googa's terminology is, or I'll have half an artist's stuff on vinyl and half on cd or whatever. I like to make the occasional playlist, compiling all the tunes I like from a certain era of a band---Beach Boys post SMiLE, REM on IRS, Flaming Lips early WB years, Fleetwood Mac w/Peter Green (or their wilderness years) stuff like that. I also have a few themed playlists for sounds I like but don't really own anything on (80s country, Glen Campbell style adult pop), then I just hit shuffle when that's the sort of thing I want to hear.

I also have a few things that I've put slightly more thought into and consciously sequenced like my splice of the last two Sabbath records with Ozzy or my Beatles Black Album. And, of course, I use it to listen more to new things I like or to check out a record someone is talking about on the internet. I can't imagine relying on it completely, and the "wrong" version is a real problem with older music (specifically country and blues). But it serves a purpose in my life and I'm happy to pay for it.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 15 Mar 2021, 17:43

Rorschach wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:I still use Soulseek :oops: Print album covers, still buy jewel cases etc ....much rather have a cd than nothing

Oh wow. Is that still going? I used to use it a lot back in the day, but I haven't been near it for years.

Well, good for you. I sort of wish I had the patience and motivation to do that but I'm too lazy now.

I've still never have any problem at all finding albums, new or old. Just yesterday, Israel Nash "Topaz"...and very good too.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Mar 2021, 17:43

I can see it has its advantages, but I never use it. On the rare occasion when I need to make a quick check, youtube does nicely. I pay for the premium, appx. a tenner a month, so I get the full albums ad-free.

I think if I were to get rid of the CD collection and just stream, my selection would narrow considerably. It's like when we do lists I know I have to consult online lists, just to jog my memory. There is also something immensely gratifying in knowing you have a CD which is not on Spotify.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Mar 2021, 18:07

My lovely company gifted me with the EXACT SAME SPEAKER that C shows above. Listening through it now, and enjoying it. Thanks, giant impersonal conglomerate! :D (They also gave me an Apple Music subscription for 3 months, but it expired and I didn't renew.)

I'm actually in fairly deep to Bezos - been a Prime member for years, am used to their music system, so I mostly use Amazon, though I might sign back up with Spotify.

I'll let folks know if I do, but if anyone wants to check out my Amazon playlists, there's a mega David McWilliams one here:

https://music.amazon.com/my/playlists/5 ... 0d95c3a0ba

And my Elton 'Zircons' playlist (hits/important tracks/songs I just like missed out by the 'Diamonds' collection):

https://music.amazon.com/my/playlists/2 ... 997d3e3d99
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 15 Mar 2021, 18:13

Yes I use it and pay for premium. It has become my #1 listen device. I play it at work , in the car(although I've got Sirius too) and even at home(although less). Spotify isn't about finding new music or old music I've never heard. Its mostly used on playlists. My major playlist is a on shuffle most of the day and includes about 1500 songs. I then have various smaller playlists. I also do a lot of play one artist's whole catalog on shuffle. Long ago I was concerned about the missing music but these days I can always listen to anything I want not on spotify at home.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 15 Mar 2021, 18:34

Qobuz for me.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Mar 2021, 18:46

I love my collection.

But as I've got older and a little less fitter going upstairs* to retrieve stuff and then trying to reach some high up just doesn't appeal.

Qobuz is so convenient and fun

* originally before children the room was the 'music room' with just the best hi-fi and a sofa in there, then it morphed into other things as the boys got older as have another couple of rooms. It's now our youngest's study!

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 15 Mar 2021, 18:54

My new truck is so modern that it doesn't even have a CD-player. And since living in Texas means spending 1/3 of you life on the road Spotify has become my lifeline. I'm happy to pay for the premium version. It's just a great (and inexplicably cheap) medium and not only because there's hardly any Neil Young on it. A few weeks ago I searched "Guy Clark radio" and a fantastic variety of Texas country and blues turned up. That's how I discovered a singer-songwriter named Hayes Carll. He ain't no Hank or Guy or Townes or even Steve Earle, but his "She left me for Jesus" will forever be on my list of favorite country songs (check it out!). And there's much more stuff Spotify helped me discover. Big fan!
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 15 Mar 2021, 18:56

C wrote:I love my collection.

But as I've got older and a little less fitter going upstairs* to retrieve stuff and then trying to reach some high up just doesn't appeal.

* originally before children the room was the 'music room' with just the best hi-fi and a sofa in there, then it morphed into other things as the boys got older as have another couple of rooms. It's now our youngest's study!

I think you are on a commission.

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 Mar 2021, 19:03

C wrote:I love my collection.

As I said once before C. the playing of vinyl and CDs keeps you fit, all that getting up and down to change the music over. What you have now is the music equivalent of a constant fast food diet, it can only be bad for you in the long run! :D

Jock

Postby Jock » 15 Mar 2021, 19:37

I tried Spotify. Couldn't get on with it. Ann , my wife, has an Amazon Prime account. Don't like that either. Much prefer my cd's and lp's.
Always Cheated Never Defeated

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 15 Mar 2021, 19:48

I still like the physical product but I'm growing to dislike it. Mostly because of the room it takes up. I don't like the Spotify plan either. You can pay for years and years and the day you stop cos you can't afford or whatever, you lose everything.

Return to “Yakety Yak”