Complicated Game

Do talk back
Mike Boom

Complicated Game

Postby Mike Boom » 22 Feb 2021, 15:23

Just finished “Complicated Game” , interviews with Andy Partridge about selected songs from the XTC catalog. A really interesting look into songwriting and recording and a great insight into the songs and the progression of the band. Anyone else read this ?

Tom Waits For No One

Re: Complicated Game

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 22 Feb 2021, 21:09

I read that a while back and I agree it's a great read. Partridge always tells a good story and the in depth song discussions are really entertaining for an XTC nut.

Have you seen the "This Is Pop" doc from a couple of years ago? Well worth a watch if you haven't.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 23 Feb 2021, 02:13

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Have you seen the "This Is Pop" doc from a couple of years ago? Well worth a watch if you haven't

I don’t think I have actually. I remember looking for it when it first came out but I don’t believe I ever found it.
Thanks for reminding me , will try to find it streaming somewhere

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 24 Feb 2021, 21:44

Andy Partridge produced one off dust jackets, his own artwork, for a number of the original copies of Complicated Game, each one depicting a song featured in the book.

Here's one for 'Earn Enough For Us'

and 'This Is Pop'

They were reproduced as signed prints from illustrator and Partridge collaborator Andrew Swainson.

The 'Stupidly Happy' signed prints are still available here
https://andrewswainson.bigcartel.com/pr ... idly-happy
Give a shit or be a shit.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 25 Feb 2021, 14:18

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Andy Partridge produced one off dust jackets, his own artwork, for a number of the original copies of Complicated Game, each one depicting a song featured in the book.

Here's one for 'Earn Enough For Us'

and 'This Is Pop'

They were reproduced as signed prints from illustrator and Partridge collaborator Andrew Swainson.

The 'Stupidly Happy' signed prints are still available here
https://andrewswainson.bigcartel.com/pr ... idly-happy

Very cool, I found the documentary on Amazon Prime along with a note saying it was unavailable! Doh, will find it somewhere eventually.
The book reminded me how great the early XTC stuff is, which I had kindof gone off somewhat, but I have come back around to it, way better than Talking Heads and everyone else in the jagged new wave herky jerky stakes! I remember seeing them live when Barry Andrews was still in the band and they were phenomenal live.

This is awesome