Stones book

Postby Jock » 15 Feb 2021, 23:08

Looking for a recommendation. A good Rolling Stones book. Cheers
Always Cheated Never Defeated

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Stones book

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Feb 2021, 23:17

Bill Wyman's memoirs, "Stone Alone", in two volumes. They give the best insider's view of the years up to Wyman's departure, I think.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Feb 2021, 23:18

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 16 Feb 2021, 08:22

The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones by Stanley Booth is an ace read.

According to the blurb, Keith Richards said: "Stanley Booth's book is the only one I can read and say, 'Yeah, that's how it was.'"
Bugger off.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 16 Feb 2021, 08:24

Actually, thanks for reminding me. I picked it up to check the details and read a few lines. I think I'll read it again.
Bugger off.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 16 Feb 2021, 09:10

I re-read the Booth book not long ago myself - it's a good one.

Wyman's memoirs are great for detail (he kept diaries), but his writing style is... well, he doesn't have one, really.

robertff

Postby robertff » 16 Feb 2021, 10:06

Read this some time ago, remember it being very readable and, as others have said, the Bill Wyman books are pretty good as well. Have you read the Keith Richards' one?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Feb 2021, 13:26

GoogaMooga wrote:Bill Wyman's memoirs, "Stone Alone", in two volumes. They give the best insider's view of the years up to Wyman's departure, I think.

Are you taking the piss? It’s fucking dreadful.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Feb 2021, 14:03

What Wyman's book lacks in style, it makes up for in facts. I see he used a ghost writer; perhaps he should have spent more on a better writer, then. If you are just looking for historical facts and trivia, it serves its purpose. Plus the follow-up is coffee-table-sized, lavishly illustrated, and features all sorts of memorabilia.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 16 Feb 2021, 16:23

OK. You've convinced me.

Minnie's right.

That sounds fucking dreadful.
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Feb 2021, 16:41

Good!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Feb 2021, 16:56

I've read every book listed so far in this thread. The Wyman book is deathly dull, the Booth is entertaining. Keith's book is funny, and barely mentions the other Stones at all. The Davis one I barely remember.

The first Stones book I ever read was Up and Down with the Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez.

There is no one, definitive tome on the band.
"The reason I say Trump won is that he came across as more confident, quicker-witted."
-John Coan on the Presidential debate

robertff

Postby robertff » 16 Feb 2021, 17:04

Matt Wilson wrote:I've read every book listed so far in this thread. The Wyman book is deathly dull, the Booth is entertaining. Keith's book is funny, and barely mentions the other Stones at all. The Davis one I barely remember.

The first Stones book I ever read was Up and Down with the Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez.

There is no one, definitive tome on the band.

Read the Tony Sanchez book, that was pretty dull, just goes on about him acquiring drugs most of the time. Unenlightening regarding the Stones, more about him.

Jock

Postby Jock » 16 Feb 2021, 17:05

Thanks folks
Always Cheated Never Defeated

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 16 Feb 2021, 17:13

I'm compelled to add my voice to the anti-Wyman Book brigade.

Not only is it dull, he comes across as a singularly unpleasant man. For a certified rock star and member of The Rolling Fucking Stones, there is no grudge too petty, no perceived slight too insignificant for inclusion in the book. I'm sure it’s all interesting to someone and "important" to have for reference at some point, but not for me.

I read most of the other books mentioned at some point a few years back (because I hadn't read anything about them) and don't remember anything in particular about any of the books (except Keith, and I only really remember his apparently intentional insistence on using dated and derogatory terms for people). But I enjoyed reading them all when I read them. Except Wyman's.

I don't hold up rock stars to any particular ideal and don't get outraged by outrageous things. But the overwhelming takeaway from it all is that they were (and maybe still are) a pretty unsavory operation. Maybe you have to be to survive as a massive rock star, but you could also walk away from it. Which Wyman did, of course. But I don't remember exactly why since I didn't finish his book. Of course, most of the books sell themselves on dishing dirt, so there could be a bias towards that side of things that's just built in to these things.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Feb 2021, 19:05

Okay, I think at this point I'd better fess up to not having read much of Wyman's books, just a few passages. So I am recommending something purely on the nature of what it is, an insider's account in minute detail. I don't need log sheets or minutiae like that, but he kept a diary, and I am keeping both books to complement my other books. Not really sure how many I've got, perhaps a half dozen or so. Don't need any more, unless Charlie sits down and writes one.

robertff

Postby robertff » 16 Feb 2021, 19:34

Dr. Baron wrote:I'm compelled to add my voice to the anti-Wyman Book brigade.

Not only is it dull, he comes across as a singularly unpleasant man. For a certified rock star and member of The Rolling Fucking Stones, there is no grudge too petty, no perceived slight too insignificant for inclusion in the book. I'm sure it’s all interesting to someone and "important" to have for reference at some point, but not for me.

I read most of the other books mentioned at some point a few years back (because I hadn't read anything about them) and don't remember anything in particular about any of the books (except Keith, and I only really remember his apparently intentional insistence on using dated and derogatory terms for people). But I enjoyed reading them all when I read them. Except Wyman's.

I don't hold up rock stars to any particular ideal and don't get outraged by outrageous things. But the overwhelming takeaway from it all is that they were (and maybe still are) a pretty unsavory operation. Maybe you have to be to survive as a massive rock star, but you could also walk away from it. Which Wyman did, of course. But I don't remember exactly why since I didn't finish his book. Of course, most of the books sell themselves on dishing dirt, so there could be a bias towards that side of things that's just built in to these things.

Don’t recall his book being as bad as you are painting it, true his style is not littered with style but the story was of interest. The part I did find particularly tiresome was the constant addition to the list of his sexual encounters following every gig in some city/town or wherever.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Feb 2021, 22:41

I don't recall him dishing the dirt either, but I read it so long ago that I have to factor that in when thinking about the book.
What I do recall is his insistence on chronicling every gig the band played in the sixties. It's clear he kept a diary and is just recounting the dates.
"The reason I say Trump won is that he came across as more confident, quicker-witted."

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 16 Feb 2021, 23:01

Matt Wilson wrote:It's clear he kept a diary and is just recounting the dates.

Especially the ones who put out.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 17 Feb 2021, 04:01

Lol, I actually don't remember that - but it sounds like Bill, so I don't doubt it.
You want a book where it's obnoxious how many tales of sexual conquest are chronicled? Howard Kaylan's Turtles book takes the cake for me. That's the main thing I remember about it - a nerdy, Jewish guy who can't believe all the poontang he's getting because he's famous.