Is your fave album also one you'd consider to be the best ever

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Is your fave album also one you'd consider to be the best ever

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Feb 2021, 16:36

Fave album and what one would consider to be the best ever aren't always the same. You can have a personal fave, and it does not coincide with your choice of best ever. Fave is not necessarily best. Often it is, but not always. I am boring, my fave is Pet Sounds, and yes, I do consider it to be the best ever. What I'd really to like see are some discrepancies, so if your fave is not one you'd consider to be the best ever, I'd like to see your apposition.

EXAMPLE:

Fave:

BEST EVER:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbly

Re: Is your fave album also one you'd consider to be the best ever

Postby Jimbly » 11 Feb 2021, 22:41

Pet Sounds is vastly over rated, i've never understood the fuss. I like it but I dont get the adulation. I get that it was ground breaking at its release but I was 5 and it wasnt part of my world.

I dont have a best album ever or indeed a favourite album of all time.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Artgar

Postby Artgar » 11 Feb 2021, 23:37

My favourite album is the worst ever.

No! the best ever album isn't my favourite. That's it.
on some soiled parapace

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Feb 2021, 23:55

Favourite is one of White Light White Heat, Pleasures of the Harbour, and Spirit's Future Games (a Magical Kahauna Dream)

There is no such thing as the best ever.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Feb 2021, 00:07

Rayge wrote:There is no such thing as the best ever.

Of course not. At most you can arrive at a consensus of a few titles. It's just a game.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Feb 2021, 09:34

I don't get what you're judging "best" by, if it's not your favourite. It's clearly failed in some regard.

Still this, anyway:
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 12 Feb 2021, 12:23

Of course not
Hounds of Love is clearly a better record than Brain Salad Surgery but I way prefer the ELP to Kate Bush.

My favourite record however is Ziggy Stardust, so yes.
It is.
The Complete Jah Bob Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 12 Feb 2021, 13:07

GoogaMooga wrote:Fave album and what one would consider to be the best ever aren't always the same. You can have a personal fave, and it does not coincide with your choice of best ever.

You are correct.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 12 Feb 2021, 15:18

I have two favourites in Sgt. Pepper and Dark Side Of The Moon, which I also consider to be the best in my lifetime.

But that’s just me. I appreciate yours are going to be different, but my mind has been set on this a long time.

I adore Pet Sounds and it floored me when I finally got it. Would probably be somewhere around No. 10 for me.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Feb 2021, 18:57

soundchaser wrote:I have two favourites in Sgt. Pepper and Dark Side Of The Moon, which I also consider to be the best in my lifetime.

But that’s just me. I appreciate yours are going to be different, but my mind has been set on this a long time.

I adore Pet Sounds and it floored me when I finally got it. Would probably be somewhere around No. 10 for me.

Both your choices are among Brian Wilson's favorites. :) They are especially interesting for their production, and that is probably what really impressed Brian. Paul McCartney "premiered" "She's Leaving Home" on the piano with only Brian and his wife, Marilyn, looking on. Marilyn was so moved she cried.

I've gone through different phases with the Sgt. Pepper album, liking it at first, then going off it, and so on, off and on... In one of my off periods I remember passing on George Martin's touring Sgt. Pepper Audio-Visual presentation, in which he took us through the production of the album. Something I will regret to my dying day.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 12 Feb 2021, 22:45

The Slider wrote:Of course not
Hounds of Love is clearly a better record than Brain Salad Surgery but I way prefer the ELP to Kate Bush.

I have a comment on this which involves Uriah Heep but I am too weary at present to put it into words.
It is what it is
Now if only we could all agree on what that was...