"A greater threat than Russian communism"

Do talk back
C
Robust

"A greater threat than Russian communism"

Postby C » 09 Jan 2021, 14:07

I was watching Sounds of the 70s on the telly yesterday on the Yesterday channel.

Music clips from the Old Grey Whistle Test, Rock Goes to College, Disco 2, Something Else etc linked by bits of contemporary stuff as links.

The groups/artists are grouped into styles - there's a Neil Young, Carol King , Neil Young, Janis Ian programme

A prog one - Yes, Tull etc, a glam episode.... You get the drift

Also a punk one - The Clash, Siouxsie, The Jam, The Damned etc

On the punk episode they have a TV presenter talking about 'a greater threat than Russian communism" ie Punk.

Now, I can recall the rock & roll obscene stuff of the Elvis era - not filming him below the waist due to filthy gyrating gestures, ditto in the 60s with the obscenities of the twist dance and all the decadence that went with that...

Perhaps 'free love' in the 70s....

But, it seems like since the punk era there has been know 'shocking' music styles.

The 80s...?

The 90s...?

The 00s....?

The 10s....?

Adele to taint the world....?

I think not

So, why so quiet on that front for the last forty years....?

Last edited by C on 09 Jan 2021, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
scrote wrote:carlsson beat me

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: "A greater threat than Russian communism"

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 09 Jan 2021, 14:15

What about the language and abuse in Hip Hop lyrics?

They probably at least shocked somebody.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 09 Jan 2021, 14:37

That's a rather Western view on the matter. In the 80's Bob Marley's music has done so much for African awareness.
And don't forget the '00s fight for the right to party.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 09 Jan 2021, 14:39

Walk In My Shadow wrote:What about the language and abuse in Hip Hop lyrics?

They probably at least shocked somebody.

Certainly not in the way punk did in the late 1970s, I’d wager: Britain’s sensibilities were rocked to the core.I must say though, it did make me smile being labelled a boring old fart at the age of 19. A couple of my friends turned punk and although I had my hair cut short and bought drainpipe jeans, I couldn’t abandon my progressive roots. They have sustained me throughout :D.
Last edited by soundchaser on 09 Jan 2021, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 09 Jan 2021, 14:57

Those Norwegian dudes who burned down churches and killed each other?

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Jan 2021, 18:39

mudshark wrote:That's a rather Western view on the matter. In the 80's Bob Marley's music has done so much for African awareness.

Erik-lad!

Welcome back - it's been nearly 8 years my old friend

I wasn't thinking about the positive aspects as you suggest re: African awareness.

I was thinking negative nonsense

Read the question! :lol:

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 09 Jan 2021, 21:27

Hmm.

I have very clear memories of taking my ex's boy record shopping when he was ten and we went to the Virgin Megastore in Tottenham Court Road together. I was extending my Steely Dan and Mike Oldfield collections at the time, but as I reminded him, his mother and I were both once young and that was why he regularly heard the more heady, rebellious offerings of rock history such as the Stranglers and the Sex Pistols in his home (although as a Star Wars fan, he had a wilfully annoying habit of singing 'Anakin in the UK' along to the latter, perhaps in order to help this angered punk classic make sense in his pre-adolescent world).

Anyway, what greeted us at the then-still-Branson-owned emporium was... not fully describable, if I am honest. Words still fail me. The American band Slipknot were there doing a signing for their second album Iowa. There were videos from the band playing along to songs (I resist the urge to write 'songs' here) from their new masterwork.

[The 'visuals' do not start until the 'singing' does, btw]

Both the lad and myself were visibly shaken by this experience. His mother would have to drag out of him how he had been affected, but I know the most disturbing aspect for me was that the long, long line of fans waiting in anticipation of meeting their hideous idols contained many young people barely older than the child gripping my hand in fear and confusion. The children were gleefully singing along to Slipknot (one might more accurately say 'shouting in the grip of an episode of Tourette Syndrome', in my view!)

All the way on the bus home the child quizzed me - what was the appeal of this band and their 'music' (quotation marks mine)? Did I like it? Why not? Should he? Would he, in a few short years?

Would he indeed! This was the question his mother and I pondered once he had been lulled to sleep with a reading from Harry Potter And The Goblet of Fire. All the familiar phrases were batted back and forth 'only just realising we are getting older', 'meant to be shocking', 'Alice Cooper and all that', 'not meant to take it seriously', 'what happens when the school phones us?' and 'wait and see when the time comes'...

Which is all well and good, but as the male figure in this particular ad hoc parenting unit, no doubt it would fall to me to accompany the young fry to attend whatever first concert came up on the roulette wheel of popular music when the time indeed came. What if I were to find myself at a Slipknot 'performance'?

Down the front?

And with the anxiety that comes to us as we newly encounter the evolving demands of parenting, I fought down my apprehension over what might happen if 'when the time came' the band in question were in some incomprehensible way worse than Slipknot? What if there were to be a band dear to young people three-to-five years from then regarding which younger, more 'with it' parents said 'I mean, Slipknot were great, harmless fun with some good tunes, but this new lot 'Abjekt Filth And The Rancid Cockrings' with their dreadful new album Live Streamed Abortions, they are quite beyond the pale, in our view...'

WHAT THEN? Dear God, what then...?

Luckily it turned out OK, but that is another story. The point is, if you think since it was best consumed at 45 rpm rock hasn't literally thrown up stuff to make a parent's hair grey prematurely, then you exist in blissful ignorance indeed, my friend.
And the January man comes round again
In woollen coat and boots of leather
To take another turn and walk along
The icy road he knows so well

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 10 Jan 2021, 11:11

LMG wrote:Hmm.

I have very clear memories of taking my ex's boy record shopping when he was ten and we went to the Virgin Megastore in Tottenham Court Road together. I was extending my Steely Dan and Mike Oldfield collections at the time, but as I reminded him, his mother and I were both once young and that was why he regularly heard the more heady, rebellious offerings of rock history such as the Stranglers and the Sex Pistols in his home (although as a Star Wars fan, he had a wilfully annoying habit of singing 'Anakin in the UK' along to the latter, perhaps in order to help this angered punk classic make sense in his pre-adolescent world).

Anyway, what greeted us at the then-still-Branson-owned emporium was... not fully describable, if I am honest. Words still fail me. The American band Slipknot were there doing a signing for their second album Iowa. There were videos from the band playing along to songs (I resist the urge to write 'songs' here) from their new masterwork.

[The 'visuals' do not start until the 'singing' does, btw]

Both the lad and myself were visibly shaken by this experience. His mother would have to drag out of him how he had been affected, but I know the most disturbing aspect for me was that the long, long line of fans waiting in anticipation of meeting their hideous idols contained many young people barely older than the child gripping my hand in fear and confusion. The children were gleefully singing along to Slipknot (one might more accurately say 'shouting in the grip of an episode of Tourette Syndrome', in my view!)

All the way on the bus home the child quizzed me - what was the appeal of this band and their 'music' (quotation marks mine)? Did I like it? Why not? Should he? Would he, in a few short years?

Would he indeed! This was the question his mother and I pondered once he had been lulled to sleep with a reading from Harry Potter And The Goblet of Fire. All the familiar phrases were batted back and forth 'only just realising we are getting older', 'meant to be shocking', 'Alice Cooper and all that', 'not meant to take it seriously', 'what happens when the school phones us?' and 'wait and see when the time comes'...

Which is all well and good, but as the male figure in this particular ad hoc parenting unit, no doubt it would fall to me to accompany the young fry to attend whatever first concert came up on the roulette wheel of popular music when the time indeed came. What if I were to find myself at a Slipknot 'performance'?

Down the front?

And with the anxiety that comes to us as we newly encounter the evolving demands of parenting, I fought down my apprehension over what might happen if 'when the time came' the band in question were in some incomprehensible way worse than Slipknot? What if there were to be a band dear to young people three-to-five years from then regarding which younger, more 'with it' parents said 'I mean, Slipknot were great, harmless fun with some good tunes, but this new lot 'Abjekt Filth And The Rancid Cockrings' with their dreadful new album Live Streamed Abortions, they are quite beyond the pale, in our view...'

WHAT THEN? Dear God, what then...?

Luckily it turned out OK, but that is another story. The point is, if you think since it was best consumed at 45 rpm rock hasn't literally thrown up stuff to make a parent's hair grey prematurely, then you exist in blissful ignorance indeed, my friend.

Fucking hell. What a great post.
I said it before, but you are the king.
You are on fire these days.
I hope you are spending lockdown writing your memoirs, containing both the truth and the legend.
When we get out of lockdown let me treat you to another visit to the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society.

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Jan 2021, 12:03

Positive Passion wrote:Fucking hell. What a great post.
I said it before, but you are the king.
You are on fire these days.
I hope you are spending lockdown writing your memoirs, containing both the truth and the legend.

Don't encourage the lad - he'll be rabbiting on about Poundland and Jorma Kaukonen next...!!

[great post Chris]