Greatest band live? Yessir!

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: Greatest band live? Yessir!

Postby C » 08 Jan 2021, 13:50

robertff wrote:John Mayall in Catford 1968 on the Laurel Canyon tour.

Most impressive Rob.

With that LC band intact....?

scrote wrote:carlsson beat me

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Jan 2021, 13:57

C wrote:

Most impressive Rob.

Exactly that band. I saw him four times, twice with that band, once with the Bare Wires band and once much later. The LC band was blisteringly hot, especially as it was in a very small club and my friend and I were right up the front.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Jan 2021, 14:01

kath wrote:

i never got to see queen. it vexes me to this day.

I am unvexed. Unforgettable.

https://www.queenlive.ca/queen/77-06-06.htm
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jan 2021, 14:20

robertff wrote:
C wrote:

Most impressive Rob.

Exactly that band. I saw him four times, twice with that band, once with the Bare Wires band and once much later. The LC band was blisteringly hot, especially as it was in a very small club and my friend and I were right up the front.

Again - impressive.

The Bare Wires line up is even greater - Dick H-S, Jon H, Chris Mercer...

oooof!

I have seen him three four times the first time was a festival in the early 70s - I was knackered so probably not fully in attendance; then the late 70s [Ten Years Gone (?)] and latter on the Wake Up Call tour with Coco Montoya on guitar (who was most excellent).

I nearly forgot the last time Dartford Orchard Theatre about 10 years ago...

I wished I had seen him around the albums you did

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 08 Jan 2021, 16:09

John Mayall 1968 might have been fantastic. I saw him 4 years or so ago in the Dosey Doe, a small venue in The Woodlands TX. It was horrible and we thought/hoped it was his requiem, but-no-siree-bob: he's scheduled to appear again at the same venue June 21st! I'm pretty sure he (he must be 88 or something) and most of his fanbase will have been vaccinated by then, but young whippersnappers like me probably not so I'll have to give it a miss.

Best concert ever... that's an impossible question for me to answer. I'll go for the best one of the past decade: without a doubt Paul Simon's farewell at the Ziggodome in Amsterdam, 2018 (I think).
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Jan 2021, 16:24

C wrote:
robertff wrote:
C wrote:
Most impressive Rob.

Again - impressive.

The Bare Wires line up is even greater - Dick H-S, Jon H, Chris Mercer...

oooof!

I have seen him three four times the first time was a festival in the early 70s - I was knackered so probably not fully in attendance; then the late 70s [Ten Years Gone (?)] and latter on the Wake Up Call tour with Coco Montoya on guitar (who was most excellent).

I nearly forgot the last time Dartford Orchard Theatre about 10 years ago...

I wished I had seen him around the albums you did

The LC band was better than the BW band, it was just so hot and that exciting, MT on guitar was scorching. It was 12/-6d to get in and I only had 12/-, I thought they weren’t going to let me in and we had walked all the way from Beckenham. The BW band was great as well just not as exciting as the LC one.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 08 Jan 2021, 17:51

C wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:
C wrote:
My wife saw them in 2002 at the London O2 (I think) - they got free tickets from Mike Hucknall the ginger geezer from Simply Red as his daughter played in the same band as one of Mrs C's mates Mohan

Really good seats to apparently!

I refused - in the words of Johnny Slider - it would have been too robust for me

It was at the now-disappeared London Arena in Docklands - the O2 hadn't been built at that stage - the millennium dome was an empty shell.
The gig had been postponed from the previous autumn because of 9/11, so my seats were really good as well. You missed a cracker.

Yes - of course! Thanks

I wasn't 100% sure of the venue - I just knew it was near the water somewhere.

I went to the Dome during the millennium year for the show/exhibition - what a let down that was.

It was then derelict for a couple of years (at least) I recall - weren't a Japanese conglomerate going to buy it at one
time...?

I went to the millennium exhibition five times, and was still finding great stuff to look at or do. The table football set with a hundred places on each side, for example, was fantastic - I have often wondered what happened to it.

It was mismanaged - the tix were expensive, and to begin with it closed at six - they should have done more to capture the after work market by having more bars and a cheap ticket after 4pm say, and having gigs in the central arena. All these ideas were obvious at the time, but just not carried out. Evetually they did open later.

It was never derelict, just empty. Ken Livingstone ran a RESPECT festival there a couple of times, and there were a few New Year's Eve bashes in it - I went to at least one with Groove Armada the headline djs.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 08 Jan 2021, 18:54

I saw The Clash twice: once on the Anarchy tour and then on the White Riot tour. On the Anarchy tour they were good but not great, same as the rest of the bands really, but on the Whit Riot tour they were something else.
I just stood therein shock wondering where all this power and energy was coming from. Never saw anything like it before or since.

The Talking Heads and Ramones double bill was a bit special as well.
Bugger off.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jan 2021, 18:56

mudshark wrote:John Mayall 1968 might have been fantastic. I saw him 4 years or so ago in the Dosey Doe, a small venue in The Woodlands TX. It was horrible and we thought/hoped it was his requiem, but-no-siree-bob: he's scheduled to appear again at the same venue June 21st! I'm pretty sure he (he must be 88 or something) and most of his fanbase will have been vaccinated by then, but young whippersnappers like me probably not so I'll have to give it a miss.

Best concert ever... that's an impossible question for me to answer. I'll go for the best one of the past decade: without a doubt Paul Simon's farewell at the Ziggodome in Amsterdam, 2018 (I think).

Are you the proper Mudshark or some wanker impersonating him....?

[Or are you the wanker Mudshark?]

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Jan 2021, 19:27

I bet Yves thought this was going to be a J. Geils thread! :lol:

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 08 Jan 2021, 19:47

Mr. C.,
Yes, it's the genuine wanker, live from Tomball Texas.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Jan 2021, 19:49

Hiya, mudshark!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Jan 2021, 20:09

Joanna Newsom (with the Ys Street Band) is the best I've ever seen live
Melt-Banana with The Ex in support is probably the greatest overall gig.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 08 Jan 2021, 23:25

In the 70's and again in the 90s I used to see Ian Dury and the Blockheads - what a band! What a frontman!

In the 80s I used to go and see Johnny Clegg, first with Juluka in Montreal and then with Savuka in London. Those shows were always one big all night party, you went home clothes wringing with sweat and full of joy. It was hard at the next gig that week pretending to enjoy indie misery like Mega City Four after that, let me tell yerz!

And the January man comes round again
In woollen coat and boots of leather
To take another turn and walk along
The icy road he knows so well

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 09 Jan 2021, 23:16

Greatest live band?

Jonathan Richman & some of his Modern Lovers were absolutely captivating at a gig in Bournemouth circa '84. So was he at a Liverpool gig circa '79, but that was a solo gig.

Very different, but mindblowingly good was B. B. King and band at the Hammersmith Odeon circa '76. The band were as tight as the proverbial, and B. B. had us in the palm of his hand, a man who truly understood dynamics and the use of space between notes.

King Sunny Ade & his African Beats at the Hammersmith Palais circa '83 was just joyous and totally submersive. I was swept up into a different world.

Rocking Dopsie & His Cajun Twisters, Erics, Liverpool come similarly with King Sunny as a joyous, transportative gig.

These are some of my top concerts, but which was best is unquantifiable. Others nands I've experienced and were top notch, in no particular order; Tina Turner & Band, Tom Robinson Band, WAZ, Yachts, Muddy Waters, Van Morrison & band (tho' his concerts have been variable, from the sublime to the perfunctory) and Dr Feelgood (Wilko days).

Have long wondered how great they really were, much being dependent perhaps on the listener's age, experience, mood and expectation, plus comparing one genre with another is hard, and then there's lack of experience of genre. Rocking Dopsie is the only genuine cajun band I've seen, it's entirely possible other cajun bands are equally good, perhaps better. Same with King Sunny Ade.

On recorded evidence the Allman Brothers, Miles Davis and Sonny Rollins are far up there.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 10 Jan 2021, 04:43

Hm first show was Dec 76 so none of those amazing shows listed here.

Radiohead - several great shows

U2 - The Ritz 82 and every tour since. While u2 might have gotten posey over the years they make live interesting.
At least you get the biggest TV

Talking Heads with Belew (8/10/80 - Central Park)

10/11/01 - Tori Amos (3 day at the Beacon - she played three songs straight about planes) - I could pick other early shows

Pearl Jam - PJ20 -Alpine Valley, WI (others)

The Clash - June 81 Bonds
10/31/78 Frank Zappa (l Shankar guest) - Halloween 36 songs saw him a few other times always amazing

Allmans(Beacon shows), Dead(several), Arcade Fire(early years). King Crimson(several)
Govt Mule(One for Woody Show)
Gabriel

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 10 Jan 2021, 09:55

Slade

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Jan 2021, 12:41

mudshark wrote:Mr. C.,
Yes, it's the genuine wanker, live from Tomball Texas.

Most robust and seminal Erik!

Welcome back and good lad

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Jan 2021, 04:27

Most intense live shows I've seen:

NoMeansNo
Jesus Lizard
Fishbone
Afghan Whigs

Also amazing:

Paul McCartney
Elvis Costello
Young Fresh Fellows
Ben Folds
Brave Combo
The Laughing Hyenas
Squeeze
Prince and the Revolution
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?