Greatest band live? Yessir!

Do talk back
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Greatest band live? Yessir!

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 07 Jan 2021, 18:15

It's the J.Geils Band of course.

I own no studio albums but live they were better than the Stones.

Proof:

Try and get better 4 LP's than those. Yes, I posted this before but I'm playing Blow Your Face Out right now.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Re: Greatest band live? Yessir!

Postby The Slider » 07 Jan 2021, 18:40

The greatest live rock n roll band I ever saw was the Stooges.
No one even comes close to matching them for power, energy and sheer attitude.
Not the Who, not The Stones, not Led Zep or AC/DC
No one

and they were all knocking 60 at the time too.

Listening to Full House now.
It's ok. Reminds me a bit of Dr Feelgood after Wilko left
The Complete Jah Bob Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

C
Robust

Postby C » 07 Jan 2021, 19:04

I knew when I saw the title Yves that on clicking open the thread it would be the J.Geils Band

I recall, my dear friend, many many years ago you coughing me probably the albums you highlight.

Perhaps I should go back and have a revisit.

Bands that I have seen that have really left an indelible mark live:

Jethro Tull I've seem them over 25 times but I'll go for the Thick As A Brick tour

Led Zeppelin at the Paris Studios, London - BBC Sessions CD2 [I was there. Of course]

Ginger Baker's Airforce, Royal Albert Hall, January 1970- 'not tight' but so much talent on the stage at one time

King Crimson - the Larks' Tongues tour with Jamie Muir on anything he could bash - remarkable

Mountain at the famous Rainbow with dear friends Felix and Leslie belting out phenomenal interplay aided by the madcap Corky on tubs.

Frank Zappa - Hammersmith Odeon - conducting, sitting drinking coffee, singing and playing guitar to die for.

Black Sabbath on the Paranoid tour with Ten Years After and Jethro Tull for ten shillings [50p] and a nice chat with Phil Lynott

Gentle Giant blowing Deep Purple off the stage at Lewisham Odeon 1976 - the latter with an ailing Tommy Bolin...

Hawkwind - again Paris Studios, London- one week before the release of their debut album. This new band described as 'Pink Floyd on acid' - plus a chat in the queue with a bloke I had no idea who he was.... until he walked on the stage - Nik Turner

Edgar Broughton Band circa 2008 with some dear old BCB friends - still as great as ever.
A nice guy to is Rob - a quick chat in the toilet/bathroom

Groundhogs - Dagenham Roundhouse - a small packed venue - 250 approx. Sweat seaping through the walls. God - those lads could ROCK!

Tangerine Dream - at the Dominion. Every emotion touched - a tear of joy to a tear of sorrow. A fantastically robust band. RIP Edgar

scrote wrote:carlsson beat me

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 07 Jan 2021, 20:04

Bands I have seen several times and who were always spectacularly fantastic:
Queen
The stones
U2
The maccabees
Suede
Blur
Franz Ferdinand

But possibly the best gig I have seen was by Destiny's Child in 2002. A few years later they did not deliver at the same level.

C
Robust

Postby C » 07 Jan 2021, 20:14

Positive Passion wrote:But possibly the best gig I have seen was by Destiny's Child in 2002. A few years later they did not deliver at the same level.

My wife saw them in 2002 at the London O2 (I think) - they got free tickets from Mike Hucknall the ginger geezer from Simply Red as his daughter played in the same band as one of Mrs C's mates Mohan

Really good seats to apparently!

I refused - in the words of Johnny Slider - it would have been too robust for me

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 07 Jan 2021, 20:28

C wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:But possibly the best gig I have seen was by Destiny's Child in 2002. A few years later they did not deliver at the same level.

My wife saw them in 2002 at the London O2 (I think) - they got free tickets from Mike Hucknall the ginger geezer from Simply Red as his daughter played in the same band as one of Mrs C's mates Mohan

I refused - in the words of Johnny Slider - it would have been too robust for me

It was at the now-disappeared London Arena in Docklands - the O2 hadn't been built at that stage - the millennium dome was an empty shell.
The gig had been postponed from the previous autumn because of 9/11, so my seats were really good as well. You missed a cracker.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 07 Jan 2021, 23:56

Quite
There are no such thing as good seats at the O2.
The Complete Jah Bob Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 08 Jan 2021, 00:20

it's a toss-up for me, tween tull and the allmans. i saw em both in the double digits (i would hafta include the moody blues here, but they would still come in third. they were consistently fantastic, though.)

i never got to see the harder bands i loved so much (zep, purple, sabbath).

ya go with what ya know.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 08 Jan 2021, 00:26

Positive Passion wrote:Bands I have seen several times and who were always spectacularly fantastic:
Queen
The stones
U2
The maccabees
Suede
Blur
Franz Ferdinand

But possibly the best gig I have seen was by Destiny's Child in 2002. A few years later they did not deliver at the same level.

i never got to see queen. it vexes me to this day.

i never got to see U2. i had tix, but i was 6 months preggie, and i was actually worried i might hurt the baby or some such, with the volume. i was so paranoid then.

the stones, as much as i love em, are a total crapshoot live, and i went to my first stones show when i was 12. last was the voodoo lounge tour, and they really did kick ass/arse at that show. i figured a good time to stop.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Jan 2021, 03:57

Seeing bands like U2, Simple Minds, The Stones and Springsteen in the early 80s was great, got great memories of seeing The Cure, Cocteau Twins , Dead Can Dance and Prince in small clubs or Tori Amos live debut in a disco...Sigur Ros.had some gigs that were truly cathartic, loved to immerse in neo-classical gigs by Steve Reich, Philip Glass, Arbo Part of Olafur Arnalds and love festivals like WOMAD, Pinkpop,, Torhout/Werchter, KLEM and Cruise to the Edge...

But the one I will always mention is La Bottine Souriante- Dranouter 1997. Absolute best party I've been to.
Last edited by never/ever on 08 Jan 2021, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 08 Jan 2021, 05:02

Bob Marley & The Wailers.
Absolutely blistering compared to the studio versions. Worth getting the deluxe versions of the studio albums for the bonus live cuts.
We're way past rhubarb

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 08 Jan 2021, 06:04

The Slider wrote:Quite
There are no such thing as good seats at the O2.

More or less true, though when Prince played there for that long stint in - 2008? - he played in the round, and a couple of times I bought tickets only 20 rows or so back. All the tickets, wherever you were, were the same price - £31.21 - so money was not an issue.
The night he started with let's go crazy, 1999, take me with you, and cream was stupendous.

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Jan 2021, 08:15

The original Fleetwood Mac on their first tour, Norwich 1967.
John Mayall in Catford 1968 on the Laurel Canyon tour.
Yes, at Croydon Tech 1969
Faces 1973 at the Queen Elizabeth Hall/Festival Hall, can't remember which.
Fleetwood Mac at the Rainbow shortly after Rumours had come out 1977
Stones twice at Wembley for the Steel Wheels (with the U.S. staging) and Voodoo Lounge tours
Bryan Ferry Leas Cliffe Hall, Folkestone on the Frantic tour
Travis ditto - on the Man Who tour

Among all the bands I have seen the above were the most exciting, some very big names not mentioned were really disappointing.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jan 2021, 10:29

Positive Passion wrote:
C wrote:

It was at the now-disappeared London Arena in Docklands - the O2 hadn't been built at that stage - the millennium dome was an empty shell.
The gig had been postponed from the previous autumn because of 9/11, so my seats were really good as well. You missed a cracker.

Yes - of course! Thanks

I wasn't 100% sure of the venue - I just knew it was near the water somewhere.

I went to the Dome during the millennium year for the show/exhibition - what a let down that was.

It was then derelict for a couple of years (at least) I recall - weren't a Japanese conglomerate going to buy it at one
time...?

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Jan 2021, 10:41

robertff wrote:The original Fleetwood Mac on their first tour, Norwich 1967.
John Mayall in Catford 1968 on the Laurel Canyon tour.
Yes, at Croydon Tech 1969
Faces 1973 at the Queen Elizabeth Hall/Festival Hall, can't remember which.
Fleetwood Mac at the Rainbow shortly after Rumours had come out 1977
Stones twice at Wembley for the Steel Wheels (with the U.S. staging) and Voodoo Lounge tours
Bryan Ferry Leas Cliffe Hall, Folkestone on the Frantic tour
Travis ditto - on the Man Who tour

Among all the bands I have seen, the above were the most exciting, some very big names not mentioned were really disappointing.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jan 2021, 12:23

kath wrote:i saw em [Allmans] in the double digits

I am so jealous of that.

I only managed to see them once - Rainbow, London circa 1973

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 08 Jan 2021, 12:36

kath wrote:
i never got to see queen. it vexes me to this day.

We started to watch the Queen 1975 Christmas show on Christmas Eve and turned it off, because, well, it was a bit crap. Brian May’s guitar poses just made me laugh: he was no Jimmy Page, that’s for sure. Same with Queen’s albums, really. I have three of their albums, but rarely reach for them. Never as good as they were touted. My wife saw Queen supporting David Bowie on the Ziggy Stardust tour, but she only had eyes for Bowie.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 08 Jan 2021, 13:28

I'm not sure that actually happened.
Roxy were the support on the early legs of the Ziggy tour
Queen didn't ever play on the same bill as Bowie until Live Aid - as far as I am aware, as a pretty big fan of both acts

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 08 Jan 2021, 13:29

The Fish wrote:Bob Marley & The Wailers.
Absolutely blistering compared to the studio versions. Worth getting the deluxe versions of the studio albums for the bonus live cuts.

on a good day they were magnificent
On some days they were terrible - there are a couple of semi legit live releases that make you gasp at the ineptitude.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Jan 2021, 13:44

robertff wrote:....

Definitely (although only the once in my case.)
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.