That New Bee Gees Doc

Do talk back
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

That New Bee Gees Doc

Postby Snarfyguy » 02 Jan 2021, 03:55

Pretty good, I thought.

I hadn't realized that the disco backlash basically sank their career, such that the very thing that made them successful (in their second or third iteration) brought about their downfall, kind of like in a Greek tragedy.

GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Charlie O.

Re: That New Bee Gees Doc

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Jan 2021, 04:23

Hiya Snarf!

Thanks for hipping me to that. I will definitely watch.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 02 Jan 2021, 10:43

The Disco Sucks thing was a peculiarly American movement though
The early 80s was hardly unkind to them, though it did seem to be more their work for other artists - the seemed to give away their best material after Spirits.

I liked the doc a lot though it pretty much ignored their most interesting and untold period (68-72ish)
Would watch again, though
The Complete Jah Bob Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jan 2021, 23:36

Definitely getting this. 1975-1979 for me, easily.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Jan 2021, 04:44

Just watched it. Enjoyed it.

A few random thoughts and observations:

- How did Blue Weaver not get a songwriting credit for "How Deep Is Your Love"?

- They have a clip of Barry complaining that radio won't play their new record (because of the backlash) - but the title of that record is never mentioned.

- Similarly: no mention of the Sgt. Pepper movie and soundtrack... although there is at one point a still photo of them receiving a gold record or something for it. Which is kind of hilarious, since (I was once told) it was the album that killed RSO Records when, thanks to the market being flooded with pirate copies, more unsold units were returned to the label than had officially been shipped.

- As much as the disco backlash hurt, I think there was more specifically a Bee Gees backlash. They'd had six straight #1 hits (if we don't count the one from the Pepper soundtrack), as well as writing and producing #1s for brother Andy, Yvonne Elliman, and Frankie Valli, and several others that made the Top Ten. If I'd been in radio at the time I'd have been sick to death of them, too. Actually, I was sick to death of them. I'm sure I was far from alone.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 03 Jan 2021, 11:00

Really enjoyed it.

I need to get copies of their earlier albums, i was thinking that Main Course one for sure. I know thats not early early but i am intrigued by the Miami stuff.

Also did Maurice really play all the bass on those songs? The bass is great on those records, i always assumed it was some top session bassist. If it was Maurice i'm surprised he doesnt get more praise for his playing. Also didnt realise it was a core band on those recordings, again, thought it was session guys. I knew that the drums on Night Fever was a loop of Stayin Alive (or the other way around, cant remember.)

As for Weaver songwriting, yes that is a shock, he is credited on wikipedia, i assume he did get some good points for that song, but again wouldnt have hurt to put his name on the credit.

I really need a Bee Gees album box set. Cd will do.