Beefheart - Spotlight is better than Shiny Beast? Oh no it's not, oh yes it is......

Do talk back

Well?

Poll ended at 04 Jan 2021, 17:15

Sometimes
45%
Always
35%
Never
20%

Total votes: 20

C
Robust

Re: Do you get Beefheart....?

Postby C » 27 Dec 2020, 21:17

Lord Rother wrote:Weird.

Genius

:lol:
scrote wrote:carlsson beat me

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Dec 2020, 21:19

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Dec 2020, 21:21

C wrote:

Genius

:D

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Dec 2020, 22:23

Lord Rother wrote:
C wrote:

Genius

:D

Ya soft lad!!

Give it time

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Dec 2020, 22:24

As Zappa said: You either get it or you don't

No harm done

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Dec 2020, 22:41

At least I’ll always give new (and old) things a try eh? :D

This is nice. Dutch band’s most recent release (2013). Female vocals, neo-prog with plenty of flute and a little folky.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Dec 2020, 00:59

Lord Rother wrote:
Christ.

Each to our own but ask me, someone devoid of even a grain of musical talent, to write a song to save my life and it would probably come out as something totally tuneless like that. I’d be shot at dawn.

Weird.

Without trying to talk you out of your perception - we like what we like - a couple thoughts:

If you had written that as your first song, I'd be damned impressed. For one thing, yeah - dissonant and random-sounding, sure - but pull it apart and there are actual normal(ish) riffs in there. And he sings a vocal melody, and it's not that outlandish (yeah, he shouts and grunts through some of it - but it's not like he's singing random notes). And the lyrics are not typical, maybe, but they're not random either (at all).

Also, for me how well that stuff works has a lot to do with what it's coupled with. I'm not a big Sonic Youth fan, for instance, because they sound like the Velvet Underground if the Velvets ONLY had stuff like "European Son" in their repertoire and no "Candy Says" or "I'll Be Your Mirror." Beefheart can be weird and avant-garde, sure - but have you heard "My Head is My Only House Unless it Rains" or "Her Eyes are a Blue Million Miles?" Mildly eccentric, but at heart sensitive love songs, and beautiful ones at that.

And (I'm saying this in general, not directed at you), I always think anyone can "get" anything if they're meant to- all it takes is to stop trying, to dismiss the notion that there's something to "get." It's the Captain's world, and personally I find it very inviting. But I would dismiss the notion that he's trying to be weird. May have started that way, but I think it's an attempt to get closer to basic human emotions, not farther away.
Jimbo wrote:I need you to back up this claim.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Dec 2020, 09:53

Interesting.

Obviously I’m being somewhat hyperbolic in my comments for fun, but I do find it interesting to hear what others get from music that I find unappealing.

But I love cricket, football, horse racing - others don’t. I’m not right and they are not wrong.

I always remember that when I listen to some artist and initially think “wtf do they see in that?”.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Dec 2020, 12:06

Lord Rother wrote:At least I’ll always give new (and old) things a try eh? :D

That is very true Bob, nd I admire you for that.

I am too stuck in a 6 year timewarp and just can't seem to escape.

there are also not enough hours in the day to play my 100 plus Zappa albums let alone any modern stuff from the last 30 years

Such is life

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Dec 2020, 12:11

toomanyhatz wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:
Christ.

Each to our own but ask me, someone devoid of even a grain of musical talent, to write a song to save my life and it would probably come out as something totally tuneless like that. I’d be shot at dawn.

Weird.

Without trying to talk you out of your perception - we like what we like - a couple thoughts:

If you had written that as your first song, I'd be damned impressed. For one thing, yeah - dissonant and random-sounding, sure - but pull it apart and there are actual normal(ish) riffs in there. And he sings a vocal melody, and it's not that outlandish (yeah, he shouts and grunts through some of it - but it's not like he's singing random notes). And the lyrics are not typical, maybe, but they're not random either (at all).

Also, for me how well that stuff works has a lot to do with what it's coupled with. I'm not a big Sonic Youth fan, for instance, because they sound like the Velvet Underground if the Velvets ONLY had stuff like "European Son" in their repertoire and no "Candy Says" or "I'll Be Your Mirror." Beefheart can be weird and avant-garde, sure - but have you heard "My Head is My Only House Unless it Rains" or "Her Eyes are a Blue Million Miles?" Mildly eccentric, but at heart sensitive love songs, and beautiful ones at that.

And (I'm saying this in general, not directed at you), I always think anyone can "get" anything if they're meant to- all it takes is to stop trying, to dismiss the notion that there's something to "get." It's the Captain's world, and personally I find it very inviting. But I would dismiss the notion that he's trying to be weird. May have started that way, but I think it's an attempt to get closer to basic human emotions, not farther away.

Nicely put Dave

There are only two types of music: music you like and music you don't.

Here's one of the tracks that hatz highlights above.

He sings it melodically like an older Jimmy Osmond. Bless him

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Dec 2020, 12:19

Here's is my choice from the same track - again a 'sensitive love song'

It always cheers me up!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Dec 2020, 11:02

Shiny Beast and Trout Mask Replica are absolute top-level genius. I sometimes still listen to Doc at the Radar Station, Decals, or Ice Cream for Crow. The rest, I can't really be fussed with, especially the mid 70s bland shite.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Dec 2020, 22:00

One from each of the reviled albums. They don't sound so bad to me. In fact, they don't sound at all like any kind of 'sell out,' that far from what came before, and, in fact, the 'faceless session musicians' on the second one sound fine to me - they don't sound like they didn't 'get it' at all.

Granted, these are the best tracks (imo) and others are not so good. But were these on, say, a Little Feat album from around the same time, I'd be tappin' my toes and nodding my head.

Jimbo wrote:I need you to back up this claim.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Dec 2020, 02:41

I'm not a fan of either album, but B&M is certainly more interesting to me than UG. The musicians sound fairly fully engaged, even if the Captain doesn't. The actual Magic Band on UG sound far more like "faceless session musicians" than the so-called Tragic Band on B&M would, and Don sounds utterly catatonic much of the time.

There's definitely a feeling on both albums that Don is anxious to avoid antagonizing the greater public. There's a lot of that with Clear Spot, as well - but Clear Spot was a compromise that worked, because the music was still full of character, the lyrics were clever, thoughtful and witty, and there were actual tunes that you didn't have to be some kind of adept to recognize as actual tunes. It should have been the one to put him over. But then, the records that Little Feat was making at the time should have made them stars, too, and didn't. Them's the breaks.

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Dec 2020, 13:01

toomanyhatz wrote:One from each of the reviled albums. They don't sound so bad to me. In fact, they don't sound at all like any kind of 'sell out,' that far from what came before, and, in fact, the 'faceless session musicians' on the second one sound fine to me - they don't sound like they didn't 'get it' at all.

Hmmm

Firstly UG to my ears is light years ahead of the other one.
I have always liked the album even though it is a little lightweight. So many excellent tracks:
Upon the My-O-My, New Electric Ride, Full Moon, Hot Sun, I Got Love on My Mind immediately come to mind
And a really good band to ‘help out’ and interpret The Captain’s intentions.

It’s not a great record and I can see why the band walked out on it’s release, but notwithstanding - good stuff.
For me , there is some commitment there from all parties - even a decent cover/sleeve

The other one is/has none of those things- a couple of reasonable tracks as I mentioned above and a band that sound as lost as Beefheart allegedly was.

To my old ears - no comparison

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 Jan 2021, 13:11

yomptepi wrote:I struggle with Strictly Personal

Krasnow's phasing and reverb doesn't help.

The Captain wasn't too keen.....!

robertff

Postby robertff » 02 Jan 2021, 15:06

C wrote:

What did he know he was only the artist, it's superb.

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 Jan 2021, 15:27

robertff wrote:
C wrote:

Apparently he disowned it

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 03 Jan 2021, 10:31

Having grown up in a house that only played classical music, I made a conscious effort to get more up to date in the early 70s and one focus was on Trout Mask Replica. I found I could only listen to one side at a time but I liked it in a perverse sort of way. I didn't think it was crap, I felt there was some kind of plan underlying it all but I didn't exactly enjoy it.
In fact, the only album of his I listen to for pure musical enjoyment is Shiny Beast.

Anyway, I just decided to listen to TMR again and looked on Spotify and it's not there! There are playlist versions that people have compiled from a variety of sources but not the original album. Does anyone know why?
His other albums are there.
Bugger off.

robertff

Postby robertff » 03 Jan 2021, 15:08

C wrote:
robertff wrote:
C wrote:

Apparently he disowned it

He must have been out of it!