Hi-fi

Do talk back
Hugh
Posts: 15911
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Hugh » 02 Dec 2020, 13:32

Deebank wrote:
C wrote:
Hugh wrote: EAR Yoshino EAR V12.


Image

Wow!

Beam me up Scotty...!




.


I hate the ugly cages they (presumably have to) have over the valves. Free the valves I say!


I think valve amps have to be supplied with cages for health and safety. Whether you keep them on after you buy the amp is up to you. I think these ones look quite good.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24172
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Deebank » 02 Dec 2020, 17:11

Hugh wrote:
Deebank wrote:
C wrote:
Image

Wow!

Beam me up Scotty...!




.


I hate the ugly cages they (presumably have to) have over the valves. Free the valves I say!


I think valve amps have to be supplied with cages for health and safety. Whether you keep them on after you buy the amp is up to you. I think these ones look quite good.


I took the cage off straight away. My amplifier has a (pointless but pretty) valve that lights up and pulsates - some old Selmer guitar amps had the same thing, it pulsated in time with the built in tremolo effect - you can't see it with the cage in place. I have to add though that the cage on my amp is not as attractive as the more sympathtic design on the one pictured.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Hugh
Posts: 15911
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Hugh » 17 Dec 2020, 21:08

Just heard that Tim De Paravincini mentioned above has passed. He won’t mean much to many here but he was a hifi legend.

RIP Tim

Six String
Posts: 21393
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Six String » 17 Dec 2020, 21:34

Hugh wrote:Just heard that Tim De Paravincini mentioned above has passed. He won’t mean much to many here but he was a hifi legend.

RIP Tim


Yes, he was big but quiet guy as most people in the biz tend to be. R.I.P. Tim.


Regarding tube/valve devices, it is my understanding is that they should be turned off after listening sessions. Not only does it save the tubes but they can malfunction and start a fire. I have SS preamp and amp and leave them on all the time along with my SACD player.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 60621
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Hi-fi

Postby C » 07 Jan 2021, 15:42

Image




.
scrote wrote:carlsson beat me

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6336
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Hi-fi

Postby robertff » 07 Jan 2021, 16:52

C wrote:Image

.



I hear cassettes are becoming desirable again C. so I wouldn't be too sure.

Personally I hated the things, terrible sound reproduction.


.

Six String
Posts: 21393
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Six String » 07 Jan 2021, 22:49

Pre-recorded cassettes from the labels were for the most part crap. The cassette itself was of general poor quality and the tape was of poor quality, mass produced in a way to ensure shitty sound. However, if you bought blank cassettes, there were tape companies making good product that included not only better tape but more robust structural support around the tape reels that could create a fine listening experience providing you owned a good player/recorder and understood how to use it. I actually preferred listening to my home made cassettes in the car over the cd players I ended up with due to changing cars. At one point I tried to return to cassettes for the car but due to the complexities of the electrical systems in cars and the inability for a tape player to fit into consoles easily made me abandon the idea. My cassettes still play fine from 30 + years ago. The fact that the tapes couldn’t reproduce the ultra high frequencies cds were capable of meant that they effectively filtered out that high frequency edgy sound one heard on cds back in the 90s. While it is much easier to get a quality cd player these day that can eliminate that glare I’ve always disliked, it wasn’t so in the late 80s/early 90s. Taping cds on a quality tape solved the problem for the most part.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 60621
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Hi-fi

Postby C » 08 Jan 2021, 10:32

Six String wrote:Pre-recorded cassettes from the labels were for the most part crap. The cassette itself was of general poor quality and the tape was of poor quality, mass produced in a way to ensure shitty sound. However, if you bought blank cassettes, there were tape companies making good product that included not only better tape but more robust structural support around the tape reels that could create a fine listening experience providing you owned a good player/recorder and understood how to use it. I actually preferred listening to my home made cassettes in the car over the cd players I ended up with due to changing cars. At one point I tried to return to cassettes for the car but due to the complexities of the electrical systems in cars and the inability for a tape player to fit into consoles easily made me abandon the idea. My cassettes still play fine from 30 + years ago. The fact that the tapes couldn’t reproduce the ultra high frequencies cds were capable of meant that they effectively filtered out that high frequency edgy sound one heard on cds back in the 90s. While it is much easier to get a quality cd player these day that can eliminate that glare I’ve always disliked, it wasn’t so in the late 80s/early 90s. Taping cds on a quality tape solved the problem for the most part.


A good post Les - thanks

[See you at the PSL this evening....?]




.
scrote wrote:carlsson beat me

Six String
Posts: 21393
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Six String » 08 Jan 2021, 16:20

C wrote:
Six String wrote:Pre-recorded cassettes from the labels were for the most part crap. The cassette itself was of general poor quality and the tape was of poor quality, mass produced in a way to ensure shitty sound. However, if you bought blank cassettes, there were tape companies making good product that included not only better tape but more robust structural support around the tape reels that could create a fine listening experience providing you owned a good player/recorder and understood how to use it. I actually preferred listening to my home made cassettes in the car over the cd players I ended up with due to changing cars. At one point I tried to return to cassettes for the car but due to the complexities of the electrical systems in cars and the inability for a tape player to fit into consoles easily made me abandon the idea. My cassettes still play fine from 30 + years ago. The fact that the tapes couldn’t reproduce the ultra high frequencies cds were capable of meant that they effectively filtered out that high frequency edgy sound one heard on cds back in the 90s. While it is much easier to get a quality cd player these day that can eliminate that glare I’ve always disliked, it wasn’t so in the late 80s/early 90s. Taping cds on a quality tape solved the problem for the most part.


A good post Les - thanks

[See you at the PSL this evening....?]




.


I don’t own the album but may try to make it happen.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6336
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Hi-fi

Postby robertff » 08 Jan 2021, 16:32

The pre-recorded ones were just terrible, although I found the TDK D90 allowed you to reproduce a reasonable/acceptable sound, recorded with the Dolby on and played back with the Dolby off.

A friend of mine still will only play cassettes in his car - even when he bought a new one this millennium he had a cassette player installed rather than a CD player.


.

User avatar
elegant chaos (reprise)
Posts: 1936
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 00:45
Location: all over the place

Re: Hi-fi

Postby elegant chaos (reprise) » 09 Jan 2021, 01:00

Agreed!

Pre-recorded cassettes seemed to be of unreliable quality. Some were OK, but quite a few were dreadful. The quality was generally noticeably inferior to that obtainable from widely available blank cassettes.
Throughout most of the 80s I usually bought LPs and recorded them to blank cassettes. To begin with this was to preserve the vinyl (if I was going to damage or wear out something, I'd prefer it to be a cassette : even decent quality cassettes at the time only cost about 1/5th that of an LP). This strategy carried on (and made even more sense) after I passed my driving test and bought a car with radio/cassette player, and when I bought a portable cassette player for journeys to work.

I wasn't won over by chrome cassettes (let alone metal ones), and preferred high quality ferric ones. Started off with TDK OD cassettes, which were superceded by the AD-X variety around 1982ish(?). The branch of Comet in my home town decided to sell off all their OD stock cheaply when TDK were replacing it with the AD-X ones, and I bought boxes of them for a pittance. Kept me going for years!
Later on also used Memorex, and Sony ones (AHF?).
Image

My deck had Dolby B & C. I discovered I got the best results recording cassettes with Dolby C, but playing them back using Dolby B (particularly in noisy environments such as cars & trains). I think it either caused everything to shift to a slightly higher audio frequency, or emphasised the higher frequencies (which were easier to discern when there was competing background noise).

Happy days.
now with added chaos

Six String
Posts: 21393
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Six String » 09 Jan 2021, 05:57

I did the same (recording new albums to cassette to play). My favorite brand was the Maxell II S. I think they were three for $8-8.49 which I was happy to pay. They were built like tanks and sounded superb. These days I don’t have room in my rack since I have separate preamp and amp to house my tape deck but I do pull it out from time to time and play my tapes.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6952
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Hi-fi

Postby jimboo » 09 Jan 2021, 07:33

Cassette , definition of glitter on a turd.
Waiting for the mini disc support to wade in.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Positive Passion
Posts: 1465
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Positive Passion » 09 Jan 2021, 07:48

The principal problem with cassettes was the difficulty of access points. Cassettes were fine if you wanted to play the whole album or a compilation - so great for car journeys - but not as convenient as lps or, later, cds for accessing specific tracks.
I used to regularly make tapes for long journeys - I was a TDK man. I still have some comps I made for my wife before she moved to the UK.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6336
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Hi-fi

Postby robertff » 09 Jan 2021, 09:57

jimboo wrote:Cassette , definition of glitter on a turd.
Waiting for the mini disc support to wade in.



Little support for something that never took off, I wager. My brother in law bought a mini disc player, could never find and discs to play on it - waste of money.


.

User avatar
John_K
driven by lists
Posts: 11978
Joined: 02 Nov 2004, 14:01
Location: The Black Hole of BCB...

Re: Hi-fi

Postby John_K » 12 Jan 2021, 18:35

robertff wrote:
jimboo wrote:Cassette , definition of glitter on a turd.
Waiting for the mini disc support to wade in.



Little support for something that never took off, I wager. My brother in law bought a mini disc player, could never find and discs to play on it - waste of money.


.


I loved my MiniDisc deck back in the day, for a period of time in Dublin blank MDs were cheaper than blank CDrs (the audio variety). A colleague of my wife also had a deck and we'd send each other blind exchanges of a couple of discs every few weeks. Opened my ears to some new sounds at the time, and due to their size I managed to keep hold of all my discs.

Sadly, all my cassettes were jettisoned back in 2009 when we moved house as I needed to downsize my hoarding...