Hi-fi

Do talk back
User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6952
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Hi-fi

Postby jimboo » 25 Nov 2020, 19:12

I have my own room. Whisky and my KEF wireless speakers, heaven.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44343
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Dr. Baron » 25 Nov 2020, 19:32

soundchaser wrote:
Dr. Baron wrote:
soundchaser wrote:My children prefer the digital (Sonos) option, so I’m going to make sure everything goes to someone who will appreciate it.


You know where to find me!
:twisted:


You know that will also include my prog collection :lol: ?


I’m keeping an open mind!
;)
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 60621
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Hi-fi

Postby C » 25 Nov 2020, 19:57

robertff wrote:
C wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:What is there that’s worth having that is not released physically?


Mike-lad, I am trying to get my head around this sentence

If it means what can't you stream that is robust I'd start with the majority of the Budgie catalogue

.


Not sure he means that C. Does he not mean anything not released physically isn't worth having? I stand to be corrected.


.


Thanks Rob. Maybe

To be honest I haven't got a clue what he says most of the time!! :lol:







I play about 4-5 hours of music a day on at least one of my hi-fis.

[The only non-hifi I listen to is in my daily drive car (and my car is a decent brand so the system is good) or my weekend MG with the top down through its original cassette player so between the whistles of the wind and the rattles it doesn't matter too much]

I have a Bluesound Nord 2i streaming box which I absolutely love which plays through my main system [wi fi]

Image

and an Arcam rBlink bluetooth thingy in my study

Image

I subscribe to Qobuz






.
scrote wrote:carlsson beat me

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 9140
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: Hi-fi

Postby soundchaser » 25 Nov 2020, 20:52

:roll: Techies. Don’t you just hate ‘em? :D

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 60621
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Hi-fi

Postby C » 25 Nov 2020, 21:11

soundchaser wrote: :roll: Techies. Don’t you just hate ‘em? :D


Image






:D
scrote wrote:carlsson beat me

Six String
Posts: 21393
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Six String » 25 Nov 2020, 22:30

I will always stay with my hifi rig or at least until I can’t get up and operate it. I spent way too much money and energy, more the latter than the former really, to turn away from it. Like many here I listen every day starting first thing in the morning with my tea. I have an excellent sounding system with most of the money focused on vinyl playback. Rebecca commented a few weeks ago about the sound while we were listening to something extraordinary and she rarely says anything about it as it has become such a part of her life whether she cares or not.

I considered getting a separate dac for streaming but decided against it. I am not a big fan of computers and decided I don’t want something I get easily frustrated with connected to something I love so much. No frustration here. I put on a record or pop a shiny disc in my sacd player and I am in nirvana. As it shall ever be at Che Les.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

Hugh
Posts: 15911
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Hugh » 26 Nov 2020, 13:37

For the last 5 years or so I’ve been reviewing hifi equipment alongside doing my regular job. I’m happy to report that the hifi industry remains in a fairly healthy state. Happily, it seems that there will always be a group of people who appreciate music being reproduced as well as it can be within their budget and are happy to buy/upgrade the kit they need to do that. I had a lengthy chat with someone from a very high-end manufacturer recently who told me that their products had been flying out of that factory during lockdown. It seems that many people were reassessing the value that music had in their lives and were diverting the money that they might have spent on a big holiday or a fancy new car to a hifi system instead.

Overall though, I would agree that as a concept, hifi is increasingly irrelevant for a growing number of people. Traditionally, every home had something that could be identified as a ‘hifi” however good or bad it was. That provided, for those that were interested, some sort of upgrade path to a better hifi. That is no longer the case; folk seem happy to play their music through their TV or a sound bar and have little desire to move on to something better.

I have fond memories of the friendly spats jimboo and I used to have about streaming around ten years ago; I was an early champion, he was dead against. Back then I recognised that streaming was a bit of a specialist interest involving computers and was far from a plug and play solution. That is no longer the case. If you have a hifi system and want to get into streaming then the Bluesound Node 2i that C posted above is an excellent, painless way to go about it.

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 10464
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Neil Jung » 26 Nov 2020, 16:25

robertff wrote:
C wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:What is there that’s worth having that is not released physically?


Mike-lad, I am trying to get my head around this sentence

If it means what can't you stream that is robust I'd start with the majority of the Budgie catalogue

.


Not sure he means that C. Does he not mean anything not released physically isn't worth having? I stand to be corrected.

.


I think I probably meant anything not released physically isn't worth having. I don’t have a streamer and don’t want one either. I do have the same Arcam box as C so I can stream Spotify or Amazon Music through the hifi, but don’t use it much.

In January we are moving house and for the first time in 25 years (since getting married) I’ll get my own room for the hifi. It’s 6.5m by 5m. I can’t wait.
The house that Clete’s musician friend had told him about was a sun-faded pink art deco place stuck back in a cove where a desiccated shrimp boat lay on its side in a slough overgrown with vines and palm and persimmon trees.

Positive Passion
Posts: 1465
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Positive Passion » 26 Nov 2020, 16:31

Neil Jung wrote:
In January we are moving house and for the first time in 25 years (since getting married) I’ll get my own room for the hifi. It’s 6.5m by 5m. I can’t wait.


Many congratulations! Such thing is an absolute joy, in the purest sense.

Positive Passion
Posts: 1465
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Positive Passion » 26 Nov 2020, 16:42

Hugh wrote:For the last 5 years or so I’ve been reviewing hifi equipment alongside doing my regular job. I’m happy to report that the hifi industry remains in a fairly healthy state. Happily, it seems that there will always be a group of people who appreciate music being reproduced as well as it can be within their budget and are happy to buy/upgrade the kit they need to do that. I had a lengthy chat with someone from a very high-end manufacturer recently who told me that their products had been flying out of that factory during lockdown. It seems that many people were reassessing the value that music had in their lives and were diverting the money that they might have spent on a big holiday or a fancy new car to a hifi system instead.

Overall though, I would agree that as a concept, hifi is increasingly irrelevant for a growing number of people. Traditionally, every home had something that could be identified as a ‘hifi” however good or bad it was. That provided, for those that were interested, some sort of upgrade path to a better hifi. That is no longer the case; folk seem happy to play their music through their TV or a sound bar and have little desire to move on to something better.

I have fond memories of the friendly spats jimboo and I used to have about streaming around ten years ago; I was an early champion, he was dead against. Back then I recognised that streaming was a bit of a specialist interest involving computers and was far from a plug and play solution. That is no longer the case. If you have a hifi system and want to get into streaming then the Bluesound Node 2i that C posted above is an excellent, painless way to go about it.


Interesting, thanks, and yes in the middle para you articulate the kind of thing I was getting at. It is not really that I want to get into streaming - more that I have some songs and albums (only about 50 songs) ONLY in mp3 or whatever it is format - either there is no physical release, or, in the case of a few Taylor Swift songs, they are one-offs on film soundtrack albums and I am not interested in the rest of it.
£500 for the bluesound box seems like a lot.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 60621
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Hi-fi

Postby C » 26 Nov 2020, 16:43

Neil Jung wrote:In January we are moving house and for the first time in 25 years (since getting married) I’ll get my own room for the hifi. It’s 6.5m by 5m. I can’t wait.


Wow! That's a large room! [21' 4" x 16' 8"]

Have fun Mike - you'll need to convince Mrs J that you need to buy concert hall size speakers







.
scrote wrote:carlsson beat me

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 60621
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Hi-fi

Postby C » 26 Nov 2020, 17:45

Neil Jung wrote:I do have the same Arcam box as C so I can stream Spotify or Amazon Music through the hifi, but don’t use it much.


I use it nearly all the time and my streamer in the main room.

95% of the time I playing stuff I already own. A lot of the time it is convenience (and of course, I appreciate PP's point)

2% of the other 5% I buy. I still MUST collect!

Modern technology still sounds really good and Hi Res quality is often available.

Qobuz for me is an essential - I definitely noticed the difference from Spotify where the latter plays MP3 quality and the former CD and often better than CD - Hi Res

My old ears are not what they used to be but this still applies:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHpzTZGjj2y/






.
scrote wrote:carlsson beat me

Hugh
Posts: 15911
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Hugh » 26 Nov 2020, 17:52

Positive Passion wrote:£500 for the bluesound box seems like a lot.


The difference, compared to Alexa or your computer will blow you away. It’s less than a couple of £s a day over your first year of ownership - a bargain.

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 10464
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Neil Jung » 26 Nov 2020, 18:28

C wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:In January we are moving house and for the first time in 25 years (since getting married) I’ll get my own room for the hifi. It’s 6.5m by 5m. I can’t wait.


Wow! That's a large room! [21' 4" x 16' 8"]

Have fun Mike - you'll need to convince Mrs J that you need to buy concert hall size speakers

.


I think my Aktiv Linn Keilidhs should be adequate. I’ll be getting my LP12 deck serviced and a much newer Cirkus bearing put in (this will only make any sense if you know about Linn decks). I’ll be like the bloke in the Memorex advert.
The room also has a 65” tv in a recess in a wall, I made the vendor leave it as a condition of our offer. Mrs J will have her own 45” tv in the kitchen/diner/lounge. I might see her occasionally! ; )
The house that Clete’s musician friend had told him about was a sun-faded pink art deco place stuck back in a cove where a desiccated shrimp boat lay on its side in a slough overgrown with vines and palm and persimmon trees.

Hugh
Posts: 15911
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Hugh » 26 Nov 2020, 18:42

Neil Jung wrote:
C wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:In January we are moving house and for the first time in 25 years (since getting married) I’ll get my own room for the hifi. It’s 6.5m by 5m. I can’t wait.


Wow! That's a large room! [21' 4" x 16' 8"]

Have fun Mike - you'll need to convince Mrs J that you need to buy concert hall size speakers

.


I think my Aktiv Linn Keilidhs should be adequate. I’ll be getting my LP12 deck serviced and a much newer Cirkus bearing put in (this will only make any sense if you know about Linn decks). I’ll be like the bloke in the Memorex advert.
The room also has a 65” tv in a recess in a wall, I made the vendor leave it as a condition of our offer. Mrs J will have her own 45” tv in the kitchen/diner/lounge. I might see her occasionally! ; )


Linn have recently introduced a Karousel bearing. I’d go for that one.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6952
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Hi-fi

Postby jimboo » 26 Nov 2020, 18:47

Hugh wrote:For the last 5 years or so I’ve been reviewing hifi equipment alongside doing my regular job. I’m happy to report that the hifi industry remains in a fairly healthy state. Happily, it seems that there will always be a group of people who appreciate music being reproduced as well as it can be within their budget and are happy to buy/upgrade the kit they need to do that. I had a lengthy chat with someone from a very high-end manufacturer recently who told me that their products had been flying out of that factory during lockdown. It seems that many people were reassessing the value that music had in their lives and were diverting the money that they might have spent on a big holiday or a fancy new car to a hifi system instead.

Overall though, I would agree that as a concept, hifi is increasingly irrelevant for a growing number of people. Traditionally, every home had something that could be identified as a ‘hifi” however good or bad it was. That provided, for those that were interested, some sort of upgrade path to a better hifi. That is no longer the case; folk seem happy to play their music through their TV or a sound bar and have little desire to move on to something better.

I have fond memories of the friendly spats jimboo and I used to have about streaming around ten years ago; I was an early champion, he was dead against. Back then I recognised that streaming was a bit of a specialist interest involving computers and was far from a plug and play solution. That is no longer the case. If you have a hifi system and want to get into streaming then the Bluesound Node 2i that C posted above is an excellent, painless way to go about it.


Hey Hugh how are ya? I am still holding on and buying physical copies. I feel the hifi industry will turn and survive by selling streaming products as separate or in built units. Us oldies will hang on but we are not a sustainable market.
Unfortunately, my MK1 Kefs fail miserably with streaming due to the awful dual app system. I will invest more in streaming because I love being able to instantly access a potential buy. Streaming will rule all in the end (I see this) As soon as the pay monthlies like
tidal,Spotify and quboz stop dicking around and steam at one quality and one price tier it is game over for the current under forties?
Active speakers are a revelation , no sweet spot with my speakers . The soundstage is jaw dropping.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Hugh
Posts: 15911
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Hugh » 26 Nov 2020, 19:11

Yeah, it is unbelievable how many streaming products are let down by shitty apps. Linns Kinsky app plays well well with some other manufacturers’ products - you could try downloading that and see if it works.

I heard the wireless KEFs at the North West Audio Show last year and I was really impressed by them.

Positive Passion
Posts: 1465
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Positive Passion » 26 Nov 2020, 19:20

Hugh wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:£500 for the bluesound box seems like a lot.


The difference, compared to Alexa or your computer will blow you away. It’s less than a couple of £s a day over your first year of ownership - a bargain.


Well I should hope so. You, and other comments on here, are giving me something to think about, which is fun.

Positive Passion
Posts: 1465
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Hi-fi

Postby Positive Passion » 26 Nov 2020, 19:24

Neil Jung wrote: I’ll be like the bloke in the Memorex advert.


I hear cassettes are making a comeback......

Separately I seem to remember there a fad once for fitting these kind of sound grill things to your speakers to make them...louder, or better, or something. What were they, and do people still do this? Or am I misremembering?

User avatar
frimley_greener
Posts: 1487
Joined: 10 Apr 2010, 10:00
Location: frimley green..and it ain't easy being green...

Re: Hi-fi

Postby frimley_greener » 26 Nov 2020, 19:52

Image

I enjoy mine.....
You wanna be a big cop in a small town? Fuck off up the model village.