Which Spector album or box do you listen to most often?

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Which Spector album or box do you listen to most often?

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Nov 2020, 04:14

Back to Mono box. At least once a year, A Christmas Gift For You on the 24th and 25th of December, and the rest of the box on NYE, turned up loud.

After that would be whatever comp editions of Ronettes that I fancy, closely followed by Darlene Love and Crystals. RDMH I played a lot in my youth.

Last edited by GoogaMooga on 20 Nov 2020, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Which Spector album or box do you listen to most often?

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Nov 2020, 04:15

My all-time favorite box:

Last edited by GoogaMooga on 20 Nov 2020, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Nov 2020, 04:22

Cozy:

rorebhoy

Postby rorebhoy » 20 Nov 2020, 10:15

The Christmas album gets the most spins from me for sure - a staple at Christmas time at Rorebhoy Towers

My fav Spector set is this one

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Nov 2020, 12:21

The Philles album collection is also a must, but I don't play that as much, because no Sonny Charles & the Checkmates.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Nov 2020, 15:37

Xmas album every December.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 20 Nov 2020, 16:03

I don't have any Phil Spector albums with his name on it.

The Ronettes, Darlene Love, yes to those.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 20 Nov 2020, 16:48

All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono Band, Christmas Album.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 20 Nov 2020, 16:52

there is only one Spector album, the Christmas one, which is great. Most other albums on Philles have filler tracks produced by someone else. The comps are all pretty good going on great, but the singles came first, and even they include things he didn't actually have much or anything to do with, notably by the Righteous Brothers, but also the Ronettes.
I don't count albums he {partially} produced with name artists not on Philles or PSI
Last edited by Rayge on 20 Nov 2020, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 20 Nov 2020, 16:53

GoogaMooga wrote:The Philles album collection is also a must, but I don't play that as much, because no Sonny Charles & the Checkmates.

No loss at all - and he only produced two or three on that, if memory serves
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 20 Nov 2020, 16:57

Rayge wrote:there is only one Spector album, the Christmas one, which is great. Most other albums on Philles have filler tracks produced by someone else. The comps are all pretty good going on great, but the singles came first, and even they include things he didn't actually have much or anything to do with, notably by the Righteous Brothers, but also the Ronettes.
I don't count albums he {partially} produced with name artists not on Philles or PSI

This would be my secondary answer, stripped of Rayge's specific Spector expertise, which greatly surpasses my own.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Nov 2020, 04:55

Rayge wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:The Philles album collection is also a must, but I don't play that as much, because no Sonny Charles & the Checkmates.

No loss at all - and he only produced two or three on that, if memory serves

I've got the HIp-O Select pf their sole album, two copies even, and it's great. I think it could have been a bit more on that one, but I may be wrong. It all sounded great.