Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Do talk back
User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27002
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Nov 2020, 23:22

I'm playing a Camden comp of Colin Blunstone solo, and it makes me think of his old band, the Zombies. While his solo work is not too different from the Zombies' breathy pop style, think of Rod Argent and the prog work in Argent. There must be a number of good examples where there is a radical departure in style, Keith Relf, for instance, wouldn't bother with Renaissance there.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 18546
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Nov 2020, 04:22

GoogaMooga wrote:I'm playing a Camden comp of Colin Blunstone solo, and it makes me think of his old band, the Zombies. While his solo work is not too different from the Zombies' breathy pop style, think of Rod Argent and the prog work in Argent. There must be a number of good examples where there is a radical departure in style, Keith Relf, for instance, wouldn't bother with Renaissance there.


The first Argent album wasn't such a radical departure (and is a very good album) but from then on it certainly was when they went in a Prog direction.

The first Phil Collins album was a departure from the Genesis sound at the time but then Genesis quickly adopted the Phil Collins sound until the two became indistinguishable.

Peter Gabriel didn't sound much like Genesis, certainly from the second album onwards but much of the first too.

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 1275
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby Robert » 14 Nov 2020, 11:59

PIL

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27002
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Nov 2020, 12:16

Buggles - Fatboy Slim
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 18219
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby pcqgod » 15 Nov 2020, 19:04

Didn't Dee Dee Ramone record a rap album?

Pete Shelley went in a techno direction in his solo career.

The slick pop Glenn Frey and Don Henley both had great success with in the 80's was a pretty far cry from the country rock sound of The Eagles.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Positive Passion
Posts: 1407
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby Positive Passion » 15 Nov 2020, 20:51

Blur and Gorillaz

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6924
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby jimboo » 15 Nov 2020, 20:56

Scott Walker, while still (kind of ) In the group.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 41977
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Nov 2020, 21:07

pcqgod wrote:Didn't Dee Dee Ramone record a rap album?

Pete Shelley went in a techno direction in his solo career.

The slick pop Glenn Frey and Don Henley both had great success with in the 80's was a pretty far cry from the country rock sound of The Eagles.

All very good calls.
Image

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 41977
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Nov 2020, 21:18

Daryl Hall's first solo album Sacred Songs, produced by Robert Fripp, was so different from his pop-soul hits with John Oates that RCA refused to release it when it was delivered to them in 1977. Hall and Fripp passed copies on to DJs and music journalists, and by 1980 enough demand for it had built up that it was released. (Mind you, the album isn't really any more out there than Hall and Oates' Todd Rundgren-produced War Babies [1974] - but then, that album tanked, so maybe that even explains some of RCA's reticence.)
Image

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21404
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby Jimbly » 15 Nov 2020, 23:43

GoogaMooga wrote:Buggles - Fatboy Slim


Housemartins - Fatboy Slim

Shirley?
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21404
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby Jimbly » 15 Nov 2020, 23:45

Doll by Doll - Jackie Leven

The Move - Carl Wayne
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 18546
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby trans-chigley express » 16 Nov 2020, 04:08

Charlie O. wrote:Daryl Hall's first solo album Sacred Songs, produced by Robert Fripp, was so different from his pop-soul hits with John Oates that RCA refused to release it when it was delivered to them in 1977. Hall and Fripp passed copies on to DJs and music journalists, and by 1980 enough demand for it had built up that it was released. (Mind you, the album isn't really any more out there than Hall and Oates' Todd Rundgren-produced War Babies [1974] - but then, that album tanked, so maybe that even explains some of RCA's reticence.)

nice choice. It's a good album but nothing what you'd expect from one half of Hall and Oates.

Six String
Posts: 21177
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby Six String » 16 Nov 2020, 05:44

Charlie O. wrote:Daryl Hall's first solo album Sacred Songs, produced by Robert Fripp, was so different from his pop-soul hits with John Oates that RCA refused to release it when it was delivered to them in 1977. Hall and Fripp passed copies on to DJs and music journalists, and by 1980 enough demand for it had built up that it was released. (Mind you, the album isn't really any more out there than Hall and Oates' Todd Rundgren-produced War Babies [1974] - but then, that album tanked, so maybe that even explains some of RCA's reticence.)


This was the first album that came to my mind and you beat me to it. Not a fan of H&O but I love that solo album.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27002
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Nov 2020, 10:20

Jimbly wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Buggles - Fatboy Slim


Housemartins - Fatboy Slim

Shirley?


Oh yeah, Buggles was Trevor Horn, then?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 7325
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Nov 2020, 15:48

Mick Harris ambient dub stuff as Scorn is quite a distance away from his years with Napalm Death. As was his drum n' bass excursion (Quorn was it? I have an album somewhere).
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21404
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Solo/extracurricular music that was a radical departure from the old sound

Postby Jimbly » 16 Nov 2020, 18:19

GoogaMooga wrote:
Jimbly wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Buggles - Fatboy Slim


Housemartins - Fatboy Slim

Shirley?


Oh yeah, Buggles was Trevor Horn, then?


Yes.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.