Life’s Work: An Interview with Brian Wilson

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Life’s Work: An Interview with Brian Wilson

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Nov 2020, 18:39

Probably the best Brian Wilson interview I have ever read, from 2016, the 50th anniversary year of Pet Sounds: Life’s Work: An Interview with Brian Wilson

https://hbr.org/2016/12/brian-wilson?fb ... PSvskXkXSk
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Re: Life’s Work: An Interview with Brian Wilson

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Nov 2020, 20:06

I don't know, GM - it seems pretty Brain-by-numbers to me. It's fine, but it doesn't tell a Brian fan anything he didn't already know, does it?

Although: "Roger Christian was the one collaborator whose lyrics I wrote music specifically for." I guess that's true, I'd never thought about it that way before!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Life’s Work: An Interview with Brian Wilson

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Nov 2020, 23:10

Yes, the bit about him writing music for Roger Christian's lyrics was new to me, too. The rest we have seen before, but I think this one goes a bit beyond the sometimes terse answers he sometimes gives in interviews. Although I'd also add the changing favorites among his work that he comes up with in his answers.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck