Probably Goons only: Neil Young news

Do talk back
C
Robust

Probably Goons only: Neil Young news

Postby C » 28 Oct 2020, 09:43

Archives Volume 2: 1972-1976. [UK November 20th]

https://www.nme.com/news/music/neil-you ... et-2757224

12 previously unreleased songs plus 50 new versions of old songs.

Ten CDs

Plus a live electric/acoustic concert recorded in London and Tokyo

A previously unreleased track is here:

soundchaser wrote:Very nice indeed [Levitation boxset], C’s mate Ginger Baker tubbing it out with full gusto.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Probably Goons only: Neil Young news

Postby Dr. Baron » 28 Oct 2020, 11:16

I thought it was already sold out?
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Oct 2020, 11:35

Dr. Baron wrote:I thought it was already sold out?

Well, the release date is not for three weeks or so in UK.

Sold out through pre-order?

Wow!

soundchaser wrote:Very nice indeed [Levitation boxset], C’s mate Ginger Baker tubbing it out with full gusto.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 28 Oct 2020, 11:35

Dr. Baron wrote:I thought it was already sold out?

New, cheaper version coming out in the new year

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news ... ore-162028
Give a shit or be a shit.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Oct 2020, 11:38

Thanks that's a very interesting article and useful reader comments

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 28 Oct 2020, 12:05

This smaller version will be available “in all outlets” at some point in 2021.

Don't hold your breath!

Given the other 94 releases the notoriously capricious NY has scheduled, most of which have never come out (Toast, Ragged Glory II, etc, etc) this will probably never ever see the light of day.

Given that Archive I gave NY a fairly good indication of how this might have sold, it beggars belief he didn't arrange for more to be made available.

With each four-year set seeming to take approx 11 years to compile and release, I'll be 175 before he gets up to 2020

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Oct 2020, 15:36

It sold out in one day. Naturally, yours truly grabbed it. Contact me if you'd like a copy.
"The reason I say Trump won is that he came across as more confident, quicker-witted."
-John Coan on the Presidential debate

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 28 Oct 2020, 16:16

Matt Wilson wrote:It sold out in one day. Naturally, yours truly grabbed it. Contact me if you'd like a copy.

Having bought half the discs already, not really ‘innarested’ (as our Neil would doubtless say). Would, however, love to see/hear the video or soundboard of the Hammersmith Odeon shows from March 76 - if only to see whether I can spot myself in the third row - i was at the tues or Weds gig - still one of the two or three best concerts i’ve ever seen

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Oct 2020, 16:35

That's the problem with this second Archives box, there's no video content at all.
"The reason I say Trump won is that he came across as more confident, quicker-witted."

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 28 Oct 2020, 17:19

Matt Wilson wrote:That's the problem with this second Archives box, there's no video content at all.

Other problem with these high-end sets is that they’re so collectible you almost can’t afford to open - never mind play - the bloody things.

A1, for example, is now fetching over 400 quid on amazon uk.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Oct 2020, 19:53

I didn't mind paying for the first box though. At the time you couldn't find a lot of that stuff remastered, or maybe the first four albums had just been remastered on CD. Then there were all the easter eggs to be found, not to mention the video content (including an entire movie - Journey Through the Past). And it was all in hi def on blu if you chose that option.

Now the only choice is CD.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 28 Oct 2020, 21:00

Matt Wilson wrote:I didn't mind paying for the first box though. At the time you couldn't find a lot of that stuff remastered, or maybe the first four albums had just been remastered on CD. Then there were all the easter eggs to be found, not to mention the video content (including an entire movie - Journey Through the Past). And it was all in hi def on blu if you chose that option.

Now the only choice is CD.

Are all of the AI and AII songs on NY’s subscription website? From wat i’ve seen, it looks pretty good and doesn’t seem terribly expensive.

Given that most people will play most of the songs on AII once or twice, their availability there might just be enough to push me into signing up.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Oct 2020, 21:03

I'm not signed up to his website. But when I receive the box next month, or whenever, I'll get a free year-long subscription.

solarskope

Postby solarskope » 28 Oct 2020, 21:56

^ what an absolute doofus this man is!
C wrote:
I remember some of them when they were nice boys - G for example.

But Coan has changed them

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 29 Oct 2020, 11:37

As Sam Stone said, half of it is out already.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Nov 2020, 14:37

Yes when A2 comes out, subscribers will be able to listen to the whole thing in HD. A1 is there now.

There's also going to be an Official Bootleg series which should be great. I watched Return to Greendale the other night and really enjoyed it. Had i bought the dvd i probably would have just watched it the one time anyway. But he only issued it as part of a $100 package with a vinyl copy so i passed. Looks like that will be his strategy: make collectors pay through the nose for limited edition records, then let everyone else watch it on his site for next to nothing. I can live with that.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 14 Nov 2020, 14:46

bobzilla77 wrote:Yes when A2 comes out, subscribers will be able to listen to the whole thing in HD. A1 is there now.

There's also going to be an Official Bootleg series which should be great. I watched Return to Greendale the other night and really enjoyed it. Had i bought the dvd i probably would have just watched it the one time anyway. But he only issued it as part of a $100 package with a vinyl copy so i passed. Looks like that will be his strategy: make collectors pay through the nose for limited edition records, then let everyone else watch it on his site for next to nothing. I can live with that.

Given the limited number of times I’ve played his recent albums and archive live sets plus the about 80 Neil boots i’ve Accumulated over the years, i’m with you there.