Music docs w/e Jan 2 - Oxzy O and Iron M

Do talk back
`

Music docs w/e Jan 2 - Oxzy O and Iron M

Postby ` » 16 Oct 2020, 18:31

With the Ivor Cutler doc on Tues and the White Riot doc about RAR in Victoria Park in 1977,
Sky Arts Free to Air (FTA) has been great this week.

Doubt very much whether I was the only BCBer to travel down to London
for the pre-show march and demo that far off day...
Last edited by ` on 26 Dec 2020, 10:31, edited 8 times in total.

Spock!

Re: While Riot documentary on 1977 RAR gig on Sky Arts tonight

Postby Spock! » 16 Oct 2020, 22:55

I was there too.

Great occasion, enjoyed stepping off the route and enjoying a pint in an authentic east end pub, some of the nicotine stained regulars seemed slightly bemused by it all.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 Oct 2020, 10:17

Small aside, but is anyone watching the Guy Harvey archives on Sky Arts? Really enjoying it, some great clips from the 70's/80's

`

Postby ` » 17 Oct 2020, 11:24

Got a couple taped and will watch them when I get some spare time

There's another excellent-looking music doc on tonight - this one is about the Apollo in Harlem

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 17 Oct 2020, 11:28

Tactful Cactus wrote:Small aside, but is anyone watching the Guy Harvey archives on Sky Arts? Really enjoying it, some great clips from the 70's/80's

I would if he wasn't on it. Cannot stand him.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Oct 2020, 12:16

I watched the RAR one hoping to catch a glimpse of some old comrades. It was all a bit before my time although I was involved with the later Cable Street Beat / Anti Fascist Action which had many of the original RAR/ANL activists involved. They were launched to tackle a resurgent far right in the late '80s, I reckon, like football hooliganism, MDMA was far more effective in killing them off (not literally).

One of the great things about the original movement was that it transcended the factions. While IIRC the SWP were on board with AFA/CSB, the RCP had their own antagonistic versions. SO no surprise that many of their leading lights (Spiked) are now in bed with Farage. Splitters :evil:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 17 Oct 2020, 15:38

There's some pretty good stuff on Sky Arts. Now free on Freview and Virgin

`

Postby ` » 20 Oct 2020, 10:23

Anyone watch this in the end? I thought it was pretty good.

Despite being on the March, I have very little recollection of the actual concert.
Shame as it was the only time I ever saw the Clash

While I didn't see myself, I did spot someone who looked remarkably
like one of my housemates at the time. Wonder if it was him

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 20 Oct 2020, 13:46

Enjoyed Jimmy Pursey coming on for White Riot (out of key)
How young they all looked!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Oct 2020, 09:25

Belle Lettre wrote:Enjoyed Jimmy Pursey coming on for White Riot (out of key)
How young they all looked!

It seems daft now that Jimmy Pursey had so much influence.
A bit naive to think that his charisma could convert the boneheads but I suppose he might have brought the odd one or two with him.

I loved Sham 69 when I was 11 but they did lose their allure very rapidly.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

`

Postby ` » 21 Oct 2020, 09:57

Whatever happened to JP anyway?

Last I heard he was doing some weird ballet thing.

Can't be that much demand from the dwindling number of sexagenarian fans like myself to hear JP and ver lads belting out "Hurry Up Harry!" again on the latest Punk's Not Dead Reunion tours

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Oct 2020, 10:03

Sam Stone wrote:Whatever happened to JP anyway?

Last I heard he was doing some weird ballet thing.

Can't be that much demand from the dwindling number of sexagenarian fans like myself to hear JP and ver lads belting out "Hurry Up Harry!" again on the latest Punk's Not Dead Reunion tours

I think they have reformed and done a few tours.
Who was the big Sham 69 fan? Was it Skope?
That clip of Pursey prancing like a tit used to get regular outings whenever Sham 69 were mentioned...

Avant Garde dance:

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 22 Oct 2020, 00:09

Sam Stone wrote:With the Ivor Cutler doc on Tues and the White Riot doc about RAR in Victoria Park in 1977,
Sky Arts Free to Air (FTA) has been great this week.

Doubt very much whether I was the only BCBer to travel down to London
for the pre-show march and demo that far off day...

There was a good Don Letts film on after White Riot.
Always one for a good title Letts channelled his inner Culture & Augustus Pablo and called it "Two Sevens Clash" Dread Meets Punk Rockers :roll:
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 22 Oct 2020, 11:37

Deebank wrote:I watched the RAR one hoping to catch a glimpse of some old comrades. It was all a bit before my time although I was involved with the later Cable Street Beat / Anti Fascist Action which had many of the original RAR/ANL activists involved. They were launched to tackle a resurgent far right in the late '80s, I reckon, like football hooliganism, MDMA was far more effective in killing them off (not literally).

One of the great things about the original movement was that it transcended the factions. While IIRC the SWP were on board with AFA/CSB, the RCP had their own antagonistic versions. SO no surprise that many of their leading lights (Spiked) are now in bed with Farage. Splitters :evil:

That would be Workers Against Racism and Red Action ( ex SWP and if legend is correct ICF, became part of AFA of whom Corbs was honorary President, good man! ) who were often working with them although not officially aligned with the RCP.

Both were willing to take "direct action" against the far right unlike a lot on the left who just liked to talk about what a biffing they'd give to a nazi if they ever saw one.

Genuinely important in the fight against fascists on the streets of the East End, did house sitting with Asian families who were being harassed etc.

Red Action were absolutely terrifying, so much so that Combat 18 once packed up a weekend training camp when one RA member turned up and started photographing them.

Won't hear a word against either of those 2 groups who actually walked the anti-fascist walk ( a few times with me quailing at the back giving encouragement " oooh good punch Big Jim!")

That the leadership of the RCP turned out to be a bunch of far right enabling cunts is not so much of a surprise to me having had first hand experience of Fox and Hulme, so much so that you do wonder whether they were being run by some chap at MI5
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Oct 2020, 13:11

Copehead wrote:
Deebank wrote:I watched the RAR one hoping to catch a glimpse of some old comrades. It was all a bit before my time although I was involved with the later Cable Street Beat / Anti Fascist Action which had many of the original RAR/ANL activists involved. They were launched to tackle a resurgent far right in the late '80s, I reckon, like football hooliganism, MDMA was far more effective in killing them off (not literally).

That would be Workers Against Racism and Red Action ( ex SWP and if legend is correct ICF, became part of AFA of whom Corbs was honorary President, good man! ) who were often working with them although not officially aligned with the RCP.

Both were willing to take "direct action" against the far right unlike a lot on the left who just liked to talk about what a biffing they'd give to a nazi if they ever saw one.

Genuinely important in the fight against fascists on the streets of the East End, did house sitting with Asian families who were being harassed etc.

Red Action were absolutely terrifying, so much so that Combat 18 once packed up a weekend training camp when one RA member turned up and started photographing them.

Won't hear a word against either of those 2 groups who actually walked the anti-fascist walk ( a few times with me quailing at the back giving encouragement " oooh good punch Big Jim!")

That the leadership of the RCP turned out to be a bunch of far right enabling cunts is not so much of a surprise to me having had first hand experience of Fox and Hulme, so much so that you do wonder whether they were being run by some chap at MI5

Of course Red Action! I think they sprang up from certain members of the West Ham ICF being switched from far right to left but I don't recall them being affiliated with anyone, certainly not SWP (I seem to remember the RA guys dismissing them and RCP as a bunch of fucking students). They turned up at a hunt we were sabbing in Petworth and it all kicked off :lol: God I fucking hated hunt sabbing!

I think one of RA was arrested for planting the Harrods bomb for the IRA - dodgy :?

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 22 Oct 2020, 18:43

And in the end nothing changed.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 23 Oct 2020, 11:38

jimboo wrote:And in the end nothing changed.

I'd take issue with that

Through the decade from the mid 70s to the mid 80s the Fascists attempted to establish themselves on the streets of the UK in the same way that the Brown Shirts had in Germany in the 20s and 30s and they were stopped in that by various left wing groups from Rock Against Racism through to Red Action.

When they marched they met bigger counter demonstrations and were forced off the streets as at Lewisham and Southall in the late 70s, this was organised by RAR, the ANL and various SWP front groups and it was successful int that it forced the far right away from mass action into criminal attacks on BAME people in the community.

I'd suggest it was here in the mid to late 80s that left wing groups that weren't adverse to violence came to the fore - WAR and RA - because when you are facing groups like Combat 18 then passive resistance and debate is not going to work. WAR basically ambushed these people in their attempts to intimidate and attack minorities, especially in the East End and they made it pretty much impossible to continue in any organised fashion.

At this point the far right started dressing up in suits and infiltrating the Tory party, which in the end has brought them a measure of success when you look at what Farage and Patel are suggesting.

So you could say that those attitudes still exist and they are coming to the fore again today but it appears to be largely the same age group to me, they appear to have little or no traction in the under 30s.

So was it Red Action busting heads or was it MDMA? A bit of both; RA took out the hard core and MDMA did for the less committed, but when was the last time we saw large scale organised street action by the far right in the UK? So something changed.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 23 Oct 2020, 11:46

Deebank wrote:
Copehead wrote:

Of course Red Action! I think they sprang up from certain members of the West Ham ICF being switched from far right to left but I don't recall them being affiliated with anyone, certainly not SWP (I seem to remember the RA guys dismissing them and RCP as a bunch of fucking students). They turned up at a hunt we were sabbing in Petworth and it all kicked off :lol: God I fucking hated hunt sabbing!

I think one of RA was arrested for planting the Harrods bomb for the IRA - dodgy :?

RA foot soldiers were ICF types, the sergeants were generally ex-squaddies and the officers ex SWP types thrown out for "squadism" because the SWP did not like violence that much.

RA leaders became part of the founding core of AFA in the mid 80s too

And sadly most of the people outside of RA and WAR were "fucking students" for good or ill. WAR also seemed to have a core of rock hard ex-soldiers too.

I suppose if you are fighting a violent enemy then trained soldiers is what you need.

Also a small shout out to Class War and Ian Bone, who, while generally more into scratching Yuppies 911s, also used to occasionally turn up when things got a "Spikey".

`

Postby ` » 23 Oct 2020, 12:24

Deebank wrote:
Who was the big Sham 69 fan? Was it Skope?

Given his love of meats, he could start a tribute band and call it Spam 69

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 23 Oct 2020, 13:59

Copehead wrote:
jimboo wrote:And in the end nothing changed.

I'd take issue with that

Through the decade from the mid 70s to the mid 80s the Fascists attempted to establish themselves on the streets of the UK in the same way that the Brown Shirts had in Germany in the 20s and 30s and they were stopped in that by various left wing groups from Rock Against Racism through to Red Action.

When they marched they met bigger counter demonstrations and were forced off the streets as at Lewisham and Southall in the late 70s, this was organised by RAR, the ANL and various SWP front groups and it was successful int that it forced the far right away from mass action into criminal attacks on BAME people in the community.

I'd suggest it was here in the mid to late 80s that left wing groups that weren't adverse to violence came to the fore - WAR and RA - because when you are facing groups like Combat 18 then passive resistance and debate is not going to work. WAR basically ambushed these people in their attempts to intimidate and attack minorities, especially in the East End and they made it pretty much impossible to continue in any organised fashion.

At this point the far right started dressing up in suits and infiltrating the Tory party, which in the end has brought them a measure of success when you look at what Farage and Patel are suggesting.

So you could say that those attitudes still exist and they are coming to the fore again today but it appears to be largely the same age group to me, they appear to have little or no traction in the under 30s.

So was it Red Action busting heads or was it MDMA? A bit of both; RA took out the hard core and MDMA did for the less committed, but when was the last time we saw large scale organised street action by the far right in the UK? So something changed.

Yeah, that's an excitable tale of derring do and lore. It also ends as you would expect.
If you are black in this country NOTHING changed.
They don't march anymore the far right. They just quietly get voted in and carry on like they did then and like they do now. Despite what indie kid students reminiscing over a few beers 40 years later like to think , alas.

Return to “Yakety Yak”