Paul Kossoff at 70

Do talk back
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Paul Kossoff at 70

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Sep 2020, 15:11

Free's formidable guitarist who died far too young would've been 70 today.

Apart from his work with Free he released one solo album Back Street Crawler. He also made one album as Kossoff, Kirke, Tetsu, Rabbit and his later band was also called Back Street Crawler.

He had countless sessions to his name, mainly for Island Records acts.

RIP Koss forever young.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

robertff

Re: Paul Kossoff at 70

Postby robertff » 14 Sep 2020, 15:16

Great guitar player a sad loss to the rock world and a player with a very notable style - less is more.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Sep 2020, 16:37

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Sep 2020, 17:14

Walk In My Shadow wrote:RIP Koss forever young.

robertff wrote:Great guitar player a sad loss to the rock world and a player with a very notable style - less is more.

Indeed

His dear old dad David, the famous actor, did so much to try to save him.

I recall seeing an interview with David - he was elated that he thought that Koss had kicked the habit.

Sadly he hadn't a died soon after.

David established the Paul Kossoff Foundation which aimed to present the realities of drug addiction to children. Kossoff spent the remainder of his life campaigning against drugs. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, he toured with a one-man stage performance about the death of his son and its effect on the family.

A great guitarist - a player with great touch and feeling.

Sadly missed by many including me

Mr Big

In the famous pose

x
kath wrote:(she squints, focusing all her concentration...)

inn dooooob ittt ableeee.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 14 Sep 2020, 19:29

C wrote:

robertff wrote:Great guitar player a sad loss to the rock world and a player with a very notable style - less is more.

Indeed

I recall seeing an interview with David - he was elated that he thought that Koss had kicked the habit.

David established the Paul Kossoff Foundation which aimed to present the realities of drug addiction to children. Kossoff spent the remainder of his life campaigning against drugs. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, he toured with a one-man stage performance about the death of his son and its effect on the family.

x

Yes my sister saw David at some point in the 90s speaking at her campus i believe. She attributes her own stance on drugs, and partly religion, to his influence.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Sep 2020, 20:04

Geezee wrote:
C wrote:

Indeed

x

Yes my sister saw David at some point in the 90s speaking at her campus i believe. She attributes her own stance on drugs, and partly religion, to his influence.

David was good man Geez

kath wrote:(she squints, focusing all her concentration...)

inn dooooob ittt ableeee.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 15 Sep 2020, 09:13

There was an excellent documentary decades ago on David and his campaigning, and his son Paul.

It is a truly tragic story of the dark side of fame and getting what you want and being destroyed by it. The elements of drama and the Shakespearean themes were not lost on David K, who used both his religious faith and his dramatic talents to illustrate the effects of the tragedy on his family adn himself.

I read recently that his bandmates in Free tried to help him, and Paul wanted to be helped desperately, but he had a lot of hangers-on who kept tempting him back into addiction.

This is true of my friend and former work colleague Andrew, whose addictions took him from the boardroom of a leading international company to living on the street in less than a year. He also wanted to be free of drugs and cured but his former life dragged him back. He would be sitting in a pub and someone he never met before would approach him offering to buy his methadone prescription so he would have money for smack. Some dealer just having been able to tell he was a recovering addict. Addiction is a living hell and the reality is almost impossible for us to imagine.

Sadly, he too did not beat his demons and is now jamming with Koss in the Great Beyond.
Jimbo wrote:And don't say it isn't a flu because it is so flu like it may as well have been a flu.

Thank you for reading - you have now been inoculated against Jimbo. Be safe, stay alert.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 15 Sep 2020, 10:09

LMG wrote:
I read recently that his bandmates in Free tried to help him, and Paul wanted to be helped desperately, but he had a lot of hangers-on who kept tempting him back into addiction.

The story is in this book which I can't recommend highly enough.

Difficult to find now and expensive 2nd hand.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 15 Sep 2020, 14:19

Anyone remember seeing that awful, awful OGWT interview he did with Whispering Bob not long before his death?

It was horribly obvious that he wasn't going to be with us for very much longer.

Don't suppose that PK's doing occasional dates with John Martyn in the last few months of his life helped much either.

Hard to think that he'd have been just 70 if he was still alive.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Sep 2020, 17:20

Free reunited (for the Free At Last album), just months after they'd disbanded, because they saw Koss was in trouble and thought they could help. That's brotherhood for ya. But the problem was a bit over their heads by that point.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 15 Sep 2020, 23:18

Charlie O. wrote:Free reunited (for the Free At Last album), just months after they'd disbanded, because they saw Koss was in trouble and thought they could help. That's brotherhood for ya. But the problem was a bit over their heads by that point.

I don't think he ever received professional help either.

One story goes their road manager kidnapped Koss and stowed him somewhere out in the country to dry out but after some time his dealers found him anyway.
Another tells how he once went to Emergencies and came away with a prescription for downers.

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 25 Sep 2020, 13:40

Walk In My Shadow wrote:

The story is in this book which I can't recommend highly enough.

Difficult to find now and expensive 2nd hand.

this ones golden if you're a gear head, not that cheap either

I got into Kossoff's playing when I was a kid, it sounded easy and I thought I could cop it easy enough. What a misjudgement. I've spent hours stealing his riffs and lead lines. He was the master of economy, feel and getting unusual chord voicings to sound brilliant through a Les Paul-Marshal/Orange amp combination.

This is one of my fave live Free moments

The chord voicings he's using in that version makes it almost a rewrite of the album version, the lyricism and phrasing in the solo, the tone hes getting out of that beat up LP and orange setup is magnificent. He was about 20 when that was recorded.
angering the feeble