Anyone going to watch Hendrix and the spook?

Do talk back
Sam Stone

Anyone going to watch Hendrix and the spook?

Postby Sam Stone » 12 Sep 2020, 20:39

On sky at 9.

Fresh look at JH’s final day. Apparently has new evidence to prove it was creepy mike Jeffries
Wot done it. Hope the do because the tales about MJ have been around for donkey’s years.

50 years ago next Friday that he died.

Pool Hall Richard

Re: Anyone going to watch Hendrix and the spook?

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 12 Sep 2020, 22:12

Recording it, will watch over coming days, to be honest watched another show before (channel 5 or one of those,) about his final day or days and it was pish, kind of expecting the same but its Jimi, worth a quick look.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 13 Sep 2020, 08:53

Not quite what I was expecting from the early reviews - several of whose writers don't seem to have seen
the film before writing their previews.

There's a lot more emphasis here on Kathy Etchingham than others in Hendrix's life. Her theory as to the cause of JHs death
also seem to be a lot more credible than the more fanciful theories floating around. (FWIW,
Etchingham believes Monika Danneman who was with Hendrix when he died was basically a stalker who accidentally
overdosed him with powerful German sleeping pills. After Etchingham called out Danneman re the multiple inconsistencies
in her various accounts of JH's death in the mid-90s, Danneman killed herself before having to testify in open court.

While JH's brother Leon features heavily, there's hardly any music as such. All of which gives the film has that curiously
stilted and soulless vibe that pervades a lot of these sort of films.

Worth watching if you're a died-in-the wool fan with nothing better to do, but am sure KE's theories are available elsewhere
on the web if you're really that interested.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Sep 2020, 23:18

Been meaning to ask - is that really the title? "Spook" used to be a derogatory term for a black person... :?

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 14 Sep 2020, 07:32

Charlie O. wrote:

Been meaning to ask - is that really the title? "Spook" used to be a derogatory term for a black person... :?

Spook as in spy

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Sep 2020, 08:15

Ah.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Sep 2020, 08:42

Charlie O. wrote:Been meaning to ask - is that really the title? "Spook" used to be a derogatory term for a black person... :?

Doesn't Philip Roth's "The Human Stain" revolve around the usage of that very word? I admit, my immediate thought was that it's a strange word to use.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » Yesterday, 06:23

Sam Stone wrote:Not quite what I was expecting from the early reviews - several of whose writers don't seem to have seen
the film before writing their previews.

There's a lot more emphasis here on Kathy Etchingham than others in Hendrix's life. Her theory as to the cause of JHs death
also seem to be a lot more credible than the more fanciful theories floating around. (FWIW,
Etchingham believes Monika Danneman who was with Hendrix when he died was basically a stalker who accidentally
overdosed him with powerful German sleeping pills. After Etchingham called out Danneman re the multiple inconsistencies
in her various accounts of JH's death in the mid-90s, Danneman killed herself before having to testify in open court.

While JH's brother Leon features heavily, there's hardly any music as such. All of which gives the film has that curiously
stilted and soulless vibe that pervades a lot of these sort of films.

Worth watching if you're a died-in-the wool fan with nothing better to do, but am sure KE's theories are available elsewhere
on the web if you're really that interested.

I watched it and found it quite interesting mainly because i knew very little about the circumstances of his death. What i don't understand is that they call it Hendrix and the Spook, and spend an hour an half building up the relationship between Hendrix and Jefferey (which really is much murkier than I realised) - and yet definitely conclude that it wasn't his manager...instead concluding with Kathy's theory. Shouldn't it be called Hendrix and the Stalker!?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » Yesterday, 15:44

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:Been meaning to ask - is that really the title? "Spook" used to be a derogatory term for a black person... :?

Doesn't Philip Roth's "The Human Stain" revolve around the usage of that very word? I admit, my immediate thought was that it's a strange word to use.

It does, and it is.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » Yesterday, 16:01

Without having seen it, is the thesis of the documentary that Danneman was planted by Mike Jeffries in order to kill Hendrix, which she reluctantly did by feeding him sleeping pills?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » Yesterday, 17:00

Dr. Baron wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:

It does, and it is.

Oddly enough, the other day a Roth fan asked Greil Marcus (via his website) for details about dinner conversations he had mentioned having with him, and this was part of his answer: "He once told me I understood I Married a Communist better than anyone but him and that I couldn’t have been more wrong for thinking Coleman Silk’s use of the word ‘spooks’ in The Human Stain wasn’t altogether innocent. But he referred to what he meant. I said all that mattered was what the story said. We didn’t press it."

Geezee

Postby Geezee » Yesterday, 17:45

Tactful Cactus wrote:Without having seen it, is the thesis of the documentary that Danneman was planted by Mike Jeffries in order to kill Hendrix, which she reluctantly did by feeding him sleeping pills?

Sort of - but then weirdly dismisses the whole idea right at the end and goes for the alternate explanation that Danneman did it on her own (perhaps not entirely deliberately but fueled by jealousy - and with The Animals as the clean-up act). But nor do they fully explain why they dismiss the theory - they sort of take Kathy's word for it and dismiss Tappy as a nobody.

It genuinely makes no sense to give the documentary the name they did, which makes it even more odd given that it is a dubious term to begin with. It would only make sense if they hypothesis genuinely was that Jefferey did it, and he did it with waterboarding skills he learned at MI5.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON