The Electrician

Do talk back
Deebank
Resonator

The Electrician

Postby Deebank » 11 Sep 2020, 11:59

I'm not really a big Walker Bros/Scott W fan - I like his voice and really like maybe a handful of tunes. Perhaps I should look into his/their music further...

One of the tunes I love is The Electrician. It's a gorgeous, epic production that is gone before you've had time to be blown away, almost.

Apparently it is one of the few lyrics that Scott ever discussed - he was famously reticent about talking about or explaining his words (although I suppose most of the early works are pretty straightforward and fit into the love/heartbreak/boy meets girl category). The Electrician can be taken pretty much at face value and is, he is reported as saying, about a torturer - the eponymous Electrician - somewhere in Latin America, in the kind of right-wing state the US was happy to prop up at the time.

Baby its slow
When lights
Go low
There's no help
No
Baby its slow
When lights
Go low
There's no help
No

Chilling.

Now I'm sorry I looked into it.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

robertff

Re: The Electrician

Postby robertff » 11 Sep 2020, 17:27

Thought this was going to be about Paul McCartney to begin with.

I like this. With regard to Scott Walker I really like those latter day albums of his, the 'avant garde' ones, also like the earlier ones but the later ones in particular.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 11 Sep 2020, 23:14

It’s a great song and performance, easily the stand out track on the album Night Flights. I think you can or could get his first 5 albums for about £10 on Amazon. Scott 3 and 4 are both worth having.
The house that Clete’s musician friend had told him about was a sun-faded pink art deco place stuck back in a cove where a desiccated shrimp boat lay on its side in a slough overgrown with vines and palm and persimmon trees.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 11 Sep 2020, 23:16

Neil Jung wrote:It’s a great song and performance, easily the stand out track on the album Night Flights. I think you can or could get his first 5 albums for about £10 on Amazon. Scott 3 and 4 are both worth having.

£11.09 actually.
The house that Clete’s musician friend had told him about was a sun-faded pink art deco place stuck back in a cove where a desiccated shrimp boat lay on its side in a slough overgrown with vines and palm and persimmon trees.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 11 Sep 2020, 23:29

All his albums are worth getting, even the "bad faith" years albums still have the voice if not the songs.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 12 Sep 2020, 00:25

robertff wrote:Thought this was going to be about Paul McCartney to begin with.

Wasn't it George who was the Electrician?

Give a shit or be a shit.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Sep 2020, 06:34

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 Sep 2020, 07:42

Tom Waits For No One wrote:

Whoops, of course, I was thinking of 'The Fireman'.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 13 Sep 2020, 14:41

robertff wrote:

I thought he was The Walrus
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 Sep 2020, 16:50

Deebank wrote:
robertff wrote:

I thought he was The Walrus

Now you're just being silly. :D

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 13 Sep 2020, 17:03

I always thought the Nite Flight tracks, and Climate of Hunter caught Walker briefly at the point where he was making quite unusual music but still within conventional frameworks; Before he tilted into what sounded like free form abstraction. I mean, good for him, but those last few albums really left me cold (Farmer in the City notwithstanding).
The Electrician, while being less than explicit, is still compelling because the meaning isn’t hidden in a haze of free form wordplay. He begins approaching that on Climate, but the music is relatively accessible so it isn’t so much of a problem (for me at least).

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 14 Sep 2020, 10:34

Despite the way the song is bookended (which points towards his Sunn 0))) joint venture Soused) The Electrician inhabits the same musical territory as something like The Wichita Lineman - bittersweet, melancholy, yearning etc. But obviously the subject matter is darker. TWL has a lonesome protagonist up a telegraph pole in a romantically bleak and deserted landscape pining for his mrs while the electrician has its exultant CIA operative in some Latin American dungeon revelling in his sadism to an extent that is almost romantic. It is astonishing.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 20 Sep 2020, 20:51

Nervous Ned wrote:I always thought the Nite Flight tracks, and Climate of Hunter caught Walker briefly at the point where he was making quite unusual music but still within conventional frameworks; Before he tilted into what sounded like free form abstraction. I mean, good for him, but those last few albums really left me cold (Farmer in the City notwithstanding).
The Electrician, while being less than explicit, is still compelling because the meaning isn’t hidden in a haze of free form wordplay. He begins approaching that on Climate, but the music is relatively accessible so it isn’t so much of a problem (for me at least).

I always wish that the reunion had been abandoned and someone/anyone had pulled Scott to one side and said let's see what else you got.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 20 Sep 2020, 23:03

jimboo wrote:
Nervous Ned wrote:I always thought the Nite Flight tracks, and Climate of Hunter caught Walker briefly at the point where he was making quite unusual music but still within conventional frameworks; Before he tilted into what sounded like free form abstraction. I mean, good for him, but those last few albums really left me cold (Farmer in the City notwithstanding).

I always wish that the reunion had been abandoned and someone/anyone had pulled Scott to one side and said let's see what else you got.

He didnt have anything till he found out the label was closing and they could do whatever they wanted. So they all wrote, which never happened on any other WB albums. Which resulted in the contract from Virgin and then he worked at a snail's pace.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.