50th Anniversary remix for THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD

Do talk back
Charlie O.

50th Anniversary remix for THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Sep 2020, 17:26

https://theseconddisc.com/2020/09/04/oh-no-not-me-tony-visconti-remixes-david-bowies-the-man-who-sold-the-world-for-50th-anniversary/

David Bowie’s third album The Man Who Sold The World will be remixed and reissued for its 50th anniversary this fall.

The album will be re-released November 6 – two days after its exact anniversary – with a new mix of nearly the entire album by original producer Tony Visconti, available on CD, LP and high-resolution digital formats. (The sole exception: Side 1 closer “After All,” which Visconti felt he could not improve on.)

This release will feature a new version of the album’s original American sleeve, featuring not only the original Pop Art-inspired sleeve by Mike Weller (issued after Mercury’s U.S. branch declined to use a photo featuring Bowie reclining in a Michael Fish-designed dress) but the album’s intended title: Metrobolist. Bowie conceived the name as a play on Metropolis, and the original master tape box still bears that name. (The packaging will also feature outtakes from the “dress” shoot as well.)

I'll be curious to hear how Visconti "improves" it - I always thought it was pretty perfect before...

Six String

Re: 50th Anniversary remix for THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD

Postby Six String » 05 Sep 2020, 17:45

That was my first Bowie album. I’m not sure I want my history messed with but I might give it a listen.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 05 Sep 2020, 17:49

Didn't he just remaster it for the Five Years box?
The Complete Pogues Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Sep 2020, 20:13

I don't really care about remixes of old albums unless they're remixing it for 5.1.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Sep 2020, 09:45

I had no idea - or have entirely forgotten - about the original title. Strange to think of it with that name.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 Sep 2020, 20:24

Hmm, I love this album but not sure if a modern mix and a new/old title is enough to entice me. Period out-takes and live tracks have never done anything but diminish Bowie in my eyes, so even if these were present it wouldn't help.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?