Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

Do talk back
Charlie O.

Re: Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Sep 2020, 03:19

When Emotional Rescue came out, I remember laughing at a review (though I can't remember where) saying that Jagger's falsetto on the title track sounded like Flip Wilson doing Geraldine.

I find myself in the peculiar position of saying I don't think Black And Blue is that bad! I actually prefer it to the two that preceded it, and to most that came after it. It's not a great album by any means, and I did think it was crap when it came out, but it's grown on me to the point where I can, at least, be somewhere where it's playing without wishing something else was playing.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 11 Sep 2020, 10:20

Charlie O. wrote:When Emotional Rescue came out, I remember laughing at a review (though I can't remember where) saying that Jagger's falsetto on the title track sounded like Flip Wilson doing Geraldine.

mwhahahahaaaaa. memories. the track emotional rescue makes me break out in hives. not just mick's vocal, but that damn beepy crap goin on. ptooey. i think i like "she's so cold"?

on black and blue: i'm always glad when other people get sumthin out of an album i can't stand. saving graces and all. it was an adjustment when i first came to this board, and there was a whole line of snark devoted to you like this album? you idiot! then i realized some people can do that and be so damn funny about it.

the last stones album i play as an album is some girls, and i don't play it anymore, mwhaha. i bypass black and blue entirely and go earlier.

reap was basically a decade later and enjoyed all manner of 80s stones. i would always find a keeper track or two on any album, but i'd just make my own comp. he was like most of you guys: ten thousand cds, a zillion boots, always one computer somewhere downloading hi-res whatevers, etc. that's never been my speed.

example: there was one version of sister morphine he found that i absolutely LOVED. it was different. it was amazing. do i have any clue where it's from? not a chance.

but i saw tactful cactus in this thread say he liked live at leeds better than brussels, so i wrote it down in my notebook to hopefullllly remember to check out later. that's my speed, mwhaha.

as far as tours go, i saw the stones in baton rouge at a ridiculously young age. (i kinda went straight from the carpenters to the stones.) i saw em several times after that. the only show i actually saw that i thought kicked ass/arse? believe it or not, the voodoo lounge tour. also my last stones show.

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Sep 2020, 17:06

What is about 'Emotional Rescue' that you naysayers don't like? I think that is a great track, wasn't sure to begin with and took me a while to get used to the falsetto but I love that track. Kind of lump it into the same pool as Angie and Fool To Cry, wasn't sure to begin with but really like them now.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Sep 2020, 19:34

robertff wrote:What is about 'Emotional Rescue' that you naysayers don't like? I think that is a great track, wasn't sure to begin with and took me a while to get used to the falsetto but I love that track. Kind of lump it into the same pool as Angie and Fool To Cry, wasn't sure to begin with but really like them now.

It just sounds to me like its a "try hard" stab at creating another "Miss You" type discoish hit and it shows, I guess it just rings hollow to me and was a harbinger of worse "cash in" things to come.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 11 Sep 2020, 19:45

robertff wrote:What is about 'Emotional Rescue' that you naysayers don't like? I think that is a great track, wasn't sure to begin with and took me a while to get used to the falsetto but I love that track. Kind of lump it into the same pool as Angie and Fool To Cry, wasn't sure to begin with but really like them now.

i'm not sure ya should go by me, anyway. for what it's worth, the last time i remember talkin about this track on this board (however many years ago and whoever it was with), i was in a distinct minority. many brits loved it.

the song actively irritates me, but then, i never liked "miss you" much, either. mwhaha.

who knows why. i guess i could easily take over-the-topness with a track like dear doctor from beggars, but anything that had a whiff of disco i ran screaming from. emotional rescue is BEEPY, i tell yew. i expect 80s synth bands to be beepy, and i often love em for it. but not the stones.

perhaps in ten years, i'll try it again.