Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

Do talk back
Positive Passion

Re: Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

Postby Positive Passion » 06 Sep 2020, 16:30

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:When they did Exile you could buy the cd of (then) unreleased stuff separately, but for some girls and this, you can't.

I have Exile,Sticky and Some Girls as double cd's with the bonuses on cd 2.

Well indeed. I try to avoid having several copies of something, so would rather be able to just buy the extra cd. I don't always succeed.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Sep 2020, 16:31

Positive Passion wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:When they did Exile you could buy the cd of (then) unreleased stuff separately, but for some girls and this, you can't.

Well indeed. I try to avoid having several copies of something, so would rather be able to just buy the extra cd. I don't always succeed.

I don't know of anyone else who does that with their expanded releases.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 06 Sep 2020, 16:33

GoogaMooga wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:

I don't know of anyone else who does that with their expanded releases.

Yeah. Gits, eh? But as I say, the Stones did with the Exile release.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 06 Sep 2020, 18:39

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote: but they were making not great albums in the 60's, it's not a new phenomenon.

:?: :?: :?:

Beggar's Banquet ('68) imho their very best

Let it bleed ('69)

C'mon my friend they're cracking albums!

I didnt mean all 60's albums. I'm talking about Satanic, Aftermath - good, not great

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Sep 2020, 19:55

Tactful Cactus wrote:I didnt mean all 60's albums. I'm talking about Satanic, Aftermath - good, not great

There are many who will insist that Aftermath is their best; I'm not one of them, but I wouldn't argue the point, either. A genuinely great album.

I'd say Satanic Majesties is pretty great, too, though I can easily understand anyone disagreeing.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Sep 2020, 20:09

So I got my GHS box with the 5.1 mix yesterday and played it all, pretty much. The album sounds okay in surround sound, but not spectacular. I don't know if Giles was really the guy for this. The Brussels show is still great, but my boot may still sound better. The bonus tracks from those sessions (with new Jagger vocals methinks) are okay, but nothing revelatory. The book is fastened to the box, so you can't take it out, and the little posters have a binding on them which is causing me to not want to unfasten it. I can't even look at the posters, in other words.

As for Goats Head Soup itself, nothing has changed in terms of my opinion. It's all right. There's not really a bad song on it, but not enough great deep cuts to put it in line with the previous four classic LPs. It's definitely a step down.

robertff

Postby robertff » 06 Sep 2020, 20:19

Tactful Cactus wrote:No love for 100 Years Ago? That's a standout for me. It's like a Rolling Stones portmanteau. You get the laid back r&r, the funk-soul and then the 3am jaded Stones all in about three mins.

I've listened to Winter again as it got mentioned here. It is indeed a solid track. Second-rate Moonlight Mile but still very good.

I believe Keith was at his junkiest by GHS so he wasn't much help. Overall its not great, but they were making not great albums in the 60's, it's not a new phenomenon.

Plenty of love here for 100 Years Ago, excellent track, however I don't agree with your final statement that 'they were making not great albums in the 60s', that's just wrong.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 06 Sep 2020, 20:35

Charlie O. wrote:I'd say Satanic Majesties is pretty great, too, though I can easily understand anyone disagreeing.

A warped jewel in their crown. It takes stamina to discover the beauty that lies within.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 06 Sep 2020, 20:47

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Lyrics (and maybe lead vocal too) aside, i really like this.

My favourite track on this album.

Overall I find the album underwhelming. It's OK, not great.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Sep 2020, 21:41

I'm with Charlie. All the 60s albums are great, except for maybe Flowers.

Goat's Head Soup is...really good. It's a huge step down from Exile (no shame in that), but probably better than anything that came after. I find Some Girls and Emotional Rescue fairly overrated (though the SG bonus disc is great - better than the original LP). And I like It's Only Rock and Roll, but it's another (smaller) step down.

I think the big dip happens at Black and Blue, which has roughly a good song and a half.
Jimbo wrote:I need you to back up this claim.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020? 2021?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Sep 2020, 21:47

It is an exceptionally dull Stones album. It is the start of the rot. Take away the blissful "Winter" and "Heartbreaker" and you have a string of re-hashed, re-heated and re-baked cack.

Stones by numbers - and they add up to virtually zilch.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 07 Sep 2020, 04:03

Fucking great album as is “It’s Only Rock n Roll”. “Coming Down Again” , “Angie” , “Winter” ,
“ Heartbreaker”. I love it , play it more often than both Exile and Let It Bleed.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 07 Sep 2020, 10:42

So my copy arrived today and I'm playing cd 3 Brussels Affair first.

I will never diss Brian Jones but Mick Taylor was the right guitarist for this period. He sounds wonderful.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Sep 2020, 21:43

Listening to the bonus tracks now. They're good, but...no great revelation.

Brussels Affair, though - may not quite be all it's cracked up to be, but it is an inspired live performance from a period when they weren't always inspired.

If I get a serious discount on it, I might go for the superduper one, but I doubt that'll happen. Maybe eventually after the hype dies down, they'll make the live disc available separately at a reasonable price. I can live without the outtakes (and all the bells and whistles like poster and book, for that matter).
Jimbo wrote:I need you to back up this claim.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020? 2021?

robertff

Re: Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup £5.99 today.

Postby robertff » 10 Sep 2020, 10:44

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 10 Sep 2020, 11:59

toomanyhatz wrote:.

Brussels Affair, though - may not quite be all it's cracked up to be, but it is an inspired live performance from a period when they weren't always inspired.

I remember I got a bunch of boots from some kind patron and listened to them all back to back. Live at Leeds was the standout for me. It had Taylor-Stones at peak performance but crucially it wasn't in a stadium/megadome. Stadium shows are boring to listen to, it's more about the spectacle of being there than seeing a live band in their element. Jagger has to shout/sing. I listened to Brussels a few times then filed it away. I listened to Live at Leeds for about a year.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 10 Sep 2020, 19:04

I got the amazon £5.99 deal and played it this afternoon. Giles Martin ( why?) seems to have removed some of the vallium fug which shrouded the original mix, and has given us surfeit of hi hat as some sort of replacement. It does sound clearer and definitely brighter. I don't know that it sounds better. But i do still prefer the original version. An album that was made to sound clammy and itchy. Cleaning it up is perverse.
You don't like me...do you?

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 10 Sep 2020, 20:53

i'm late comin back to this, so what i say has probably been said already. ah well. i haven't heard the new thing yet.

my stones sweet spot is beggars thru exile. (i think of em as all of a piece, really. the occasional countrified twang track, or the delta blues/backroom blues track, etc. that americana kind of album thread. so i don't really think of the first two in the run as "60s" albums. for me, 60s stones is twirling around in my yard as a kid to she's a rainbow.)

that being said, sticky fingers is my fave stones album, not exile. so goat's head soup is no big drop off at all to me. i love it. every now and then when the moon is just right, i might include it in that sweet spot run.

i even love dancing with mr. d, but as i seem to be the only one, i'll take that as a nostalgic thing (growing up in new orleans, hangin out in cemeteries and trippin for fun. yeah.)

coming down again is my fave track on the album, but the rest of the tracks mentioned by y'all are right up there.

its only rock and roll is not that huge of a drop off, either. it's weird. these days, i love some of those slower or more acoustic tracks that never got radio play, that i didn't even remember back in the day.

black and blue can bite me. i was reading this thread piecemeal at the time when i saw googa praise it. i was washing dishes thinkin, hmmm, how many tracks would i keep from that album? i'll go with 1.5. then the next time i came on, i read that hatz had it at "a song and a half." mwhaha. after i brought the album home and spun it, i took it off the stereo and threw it across the room like a frisbee into the wall. i used to do that with albums that pissed me off enough. i remember i did it with zep's presence. but good remastering fixed my main problems with presence. there's nuthin that can fix black and blue.

on brussels: i am pretty fanatical about it, i am. the stones were an absolute crapshoot live. total. but brussels is great.

reading back thru, though, yomp et al's comments, i just don't know if i'm gonna buy it.

(she says this right now.)

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Sep 2020, 01:32

kath wrote:after i brought the album home and spun it, i took it off the stereo and threw it across the room like a frisbee into the wall. i used to do that with albums that pissed me off enough. i remember i did it with zep's presence. but good remastering fixed my main problems with presence. there's nuthin that can fix black and blue.

:lol: :lol:

I had a similar response when Black and Blue first came out , as a big Mick Taylor fan, but these days enjoy Hand of Fate, Memory Motel, Crazy Mama and yes even Fool to Cry. Some Girls was somewhat of a return to form , but Emotional Rescue was where I got off the bus.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 11 Sep 2020, 03:00

Mike Boom wrote:
kath wrote:after i brought the album home and spun it, i took it off the stereo and threw it across the room like a frisbee into the wall. i used to do that with albums that pissed me off enough. i remember i did it with zep's presence. but good remastering fixed my main problems with presence. there's nuthin that can fix black and blue.

:lol: :lol:

I had a similar response when Black and Blue first came out , as a big Mick Taylor fan, but these days enjoy Hand of Fate, Memory Motel, Crazy Mama and yes even Fool to Cry. Some Girls was somewhat of a return to form , but Emotional Rescue was where I got off the bus.

i'm all about hand of fate and memory motel, in some kinda weird mix.

actually, now i SERIOUSLY wanna hear hatz's one and a half. mwhahaha.

some girls is a strange thing with me. goat's and it's only rock and roll only managed to rise in my screwy estimation. some girls, an album i loved on release, has only gone downnn. not sure why. but there it is.

i never once liked emotional rescue. i mean, i would rate it higher than black and blue, but only under duress. part of the prob: folk i totally love and respect and listen to.. whatever... love the actual title track. i try. the *track* "emotional rescue" makes me long for the days when i shattered my left wrist and drove my own ass to the ER. (just for the record, they shot me full of morphine, wheelin me out, and the only person who could be designated driver was my ma.. the very ma who was born in 29. so people, just as a notion of honor: picture my ma, driving me home, in a silver 77 firebird with red leather seats.

okay. sounds over the top. it isn't.