Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

Do talk back
robertff

Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

Postby robertff » 05 Sep 2020, 15:24

The Stones have just re-released this album in many different formats, as is the way today, and from single CD and vinyl versions to multiple CD and vinyl versions. Often regarded as the album that began their slide from greatness, (which I don't particularly subscribe to), I think this album is up their with their very best.

Admittedly, when it was first released I was disappointed when I first heard it but then again I was with Exile, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Satanic Majesties and Between The Buttons when I first heard them. For many years though I have long considered this to be amongst my very favourite Stones' albums, if not my very favourite. The balance of rockers to ballads and then the odd more experimental track just seems to make it all work really well. Even the tracks that are ones usually slated Angie and Star Star I really like, although with Angie it has taken more time but Star Star what a great rocker, if Iggy Pop had done that track the rock cognoscenti would have been salivating.

The album is worth having just for Winter, what a fantastic track, one of their very best, followed by Can You Hear The Music exactly in the right place on the album, slightly experimental, slightly at odds with everything else but it works and then Star Star, fantastic how they all gel so well together.

Goats Head Soup, great album, I think so, any other admirers?

C
Robust

Re: Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

Postby C » 05 Sep 2020, 15:50

I like it very much - I said as much on yesterday's Stones PSL (as did pcqgod)

Again, it is not my favourite but it has a very good balance of stuff and Angie doesn't quite overstay it's welcome

I think I prefer it to Exile which is a bit too sprawling for me

For what it's worth Let it Bleed is my fave followed by (in equal position) Beggars and Sticky Fingers (although I am not a massive Stones fan)

kath wrote:(she squints, focusing all her concentration...)

inn dooooob ittt ableeee.

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 05 Sep 2020, 16:16

Not a massive Stones fan by any means and I do prefer Exile. But GHS is a very good, if not great album. That sounds like damning with faint praise, it’s not.
Winter is indeed sublime.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Sep 2020, 16:29

Yeah, I love this album. "Silver Train," "Coming Down," "Heartbreaker" ....all top tracks.

I'm sure I'll pick up at least the two-cd reissue when I have some spending money.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Sep 2020, 17:07

I'll be the voice of dissent, then. I'm in the "beginning of the slide" camp, and in fact I'd go further and say it's a precipitous drop. It has its moments, I suppose, but... I can't imagine ever describing any of their previous albums, even the dubious Flowers, with "it has its moments." This is, quite simply, where they stopped mattering - where they became less a band than a brand.
Last edited by Charlie O. on 05 Sep 2020, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 Sep 2020, 17:44

I’m with Charlie here. I bought it when it was released as many here probably and I liked it a lot on first listen but still considered it a drop in overall quality. Sure there are some very good tracks like Winter as someone else mentioned but it is really second tier next to BB, LIB, SF and EOM. It isn’t easy coming up with that many great albums in a career little less that many in a row so it was bound to happen. I’m not sure they ever recovered.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 05 Sep 2020, 18:01

What Charlie said.
The Complete Pogues Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 05 Sep 2020, 19:50

Well, I ordered the 3cd/1dvd release (for 30€ no less).

Don't have much use for the dvd but wanted the box especially for the Live in Brussels cd.

Had it on boot a long time but I suppose the quality will be higher on the official release.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 05 Sep 2020, 20:03

Like virtually all Stones records, it is perfectly good. Maybe not one of their greatest, but as a rule of thumb way better than most of the other stuff out there. Heartbreaker is an awesome track.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 06 Sep 2020, 10:03

Downloaded the deluxe, already have the brussels gig on mp3 but been listening to the main album. Upto Angie so far. Never been a huge fan of the B side, Winter being the exception. Heard the Page song a few weeks back and sounded decent, heard a lot of praise for the piano version of 100 years ago. hope to finish listening to it today.

Sticky Fingers is their best for me, i'd have this one in their top 5.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Sep 2020, 10:14

Sticking only to 1970s, I'd agree that the slide from greatness began there, but then it picked up again - I'd put the subsequent IORNR, Black and Blue, Some Girls, ahead of it.

In fact, I only remember Angie and Star Star.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 06 Sep 2020, 10:48

No love for 100 Years Ago? That's a standout for me. It's like a Rolling Stones portmanteau. You get the laid back r&r, the funk-soul and then the 3am jaded Stones all in about three mins.

I've listened to Winter again as it got mentioned here. It is indeed a solid track. Second-rate Moonlight Mile but still very good.

I believe Keith was at his junkiest by GHS so he wasn't much help. Overall its not great, but they were making not great albums in the 60's, it's not a new phenomenon.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 06 Sep 2020, 11:33

Lyrics (and maybe lead vocal too) aside, i really like this.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 06 Sep 2020, 11:34

This one too,

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 06 Sep 2020, 11:36

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 06 Sep 2020, 13:31

Tactful Cactus wrote: but they were making not great albums in the 60's, it's not a new phenomenon.

:?: :?: :?:

Beggar's Banquet ('68) imho their very best

Let it bleed ('69)

C'mon my friend they're cracking albums!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Sep 2020, 15:24

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Well, I ordered the 3cd/1dvd release (for 30€ no less).

Don't have much use for the dvd but wanted the box especially for the Live in Brussels cd.

Had it on boot a long time but I suppose the quality will be higher on the official release.

The Brussels concert is on it? Dy-na-mite!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 06 Sep 2020, 15:43

pcqgod wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:Well, I ordered the 3cd/1dvd release (for 30€ no less).

The Brussels concert is on it? Dy-na-mite!

It is, disc 3.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 06 Sep 2020, 15:46

When they did Exile you could buy the cd of (then) unreleased stuff separately, but for some girls and this, you can't.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 06 Sep 2020, 15:57

Positive Passion wrote:When they did Exile you could buy the cd of (then) unreleased stuff separately, but for some girls and this, you can't.

I have Exile,Sticky and Some Girls as double cd's with the bonuses on cd 2.