Faithless and other dance acts

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Faithless and other dance acts

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Sep 2020, 12:17

I find time for Faithless, certainly at 50 p @ - it's mostly trippy, ambient, chill dance. I'd say a comp or a couple of their best albums should have you covered. I thought I'd stretch it and bought the 2 CD Camden Deluxe, but that was a mistake. The good stuff is all there, but then the compilers thought they would throw in a few exclusives, and sure enough - we get the obligatory remixes with relentless tub-thumping. Electronic dance has been around since the 80s, at least, and it's been the standard music of choice for every goddamn club scene in every contemporary movie of recent vintage that features such scenes. So, like it or not, there's no avoiding it. You don't need that punishing, thumping beat, and Faithless often get it right on their singles, so pass on the Deluxe.

Last edited by GoogaMooga on 05 Sep 2020, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

never/ever

Re: Faithless and other dance acts

Postby never/ever » 06 Sep 2020, 00:41

I quite like their albums, no need for best-ofs as far as I am concerned. Reverence, Sunday 8PM, Outrospective and No Roots are great albums which had more good songs than just the singles...Zoe Johnston and Dido were definitely well served by the material they sung on these albums.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 Sep 2020, 01:03

BTW, new single came out recently...bit meh on it but a new album is due soon so I will have a listen...

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 06 Sep 2020, 07:08

I can listen to it and even enjoy when the mood strikes me. Good caal, Googs.

Faithless and I will add Massive Attack and Portishead to the mix.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 06 Sep 2020, 07:30

I have several Faithless records and like them. I would put massive attack, groove armada and basement jaxx ahead of them, both in the studio and live.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 06 Sep 2020, 07:49

Positive Passion wrote:I have several Faithless records and like them. I would put massive attack, groove armada and basement jaxx ahead of them, both in the studio and live.

But...but...wasn't god a DJ? ;)
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Sep 2020, 08:01

My rankings:

1. massive attack
2. portishead
3. moloko
4. morcheeba
5. basement jaxx
6. daft punk
7. chemical brothers
8. faithless
9. underworld
10. cassius

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 Sep 2020, 20:13

I always thought Faithless were kind of underrated because they had a couple of mega-hits. You know the kind of thing, they reach a certain level and that's it, not to be taken seriously by the dance/urban music crowd. Something about Maxi Jazz's vocals I like, there's a laid-back authority to 'em, like he could rip you a new one, but he really can't be bothered right now.

This track is insanely catchy to e:

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 Sep 2020, 20:15

GoogaMooga wrote:My rankings:

1. massive attack
2. portishead
3. moloko
4. morcheeba
5. basement jaxx
6. daft punk
7. chemical brothers
8. faithless
9. underworld
10. cassius

Not sure what your criteria is here, but there seems a glaring absence of Tricky amongst all that trip-hop.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.