PSL: The Rolling Stones: Cool, Calm & Collected

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: PSL: The Rolling Stones, Friday 4th Sept @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 04 Sep 2020, 21:47

kath wrote:just a phenomenal track, with every passing second

pcqgod wrote:This one is almost beyond words. I recently posted that "Moonlight Mile" is the greatest song, recording, and performance ever, and I stand by that assertion on at least 7 days out of 10!

Nice

:D

kath wrote:(she squints, focusing all her concentration...)

inn dooooob ittt ableeee.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 04 Sep 2020, 21:47

pcqgod wrote:This one is almost beyond words. I recently posted that "Moonlight Mile" is the greatest song, recording, and performance ever, and I stand by that assertion on at least 7 days out of 10!

It is just a joy

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 04 Sep 2020, 21:48

This is what Oasis were trying to do on so many lesser attempts.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 04 Sep 2020, 21:49

Great fun! Looking forward to future PSL's (on the rare occasions I can make them).

Cheers, everyone.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 04 Sep 2020, 21:49

Phantastique!

Thanks everybody!

Enjoyed that very much indeed.

To absent friends.

*chink*
Jimbo wrote:And don't say it isn't a flu because it is so flu like it may as well have been a flu.

Thank you for reading - you have now been inoculated against Jimbo. Be safe, stay alert.

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 Sep 2020, 21:49

A great album in great company

Thank you very much pcq
Thank you kath
Thank you JJ
Thank you Chris

Dinosaur Jr on Tuesday - album to be announced very soon

To absent friends

Reap & Loki

x

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 04 Sep 2020, 21:51

thank all y'all for joining in. it is perfect to me. it is. the stones never played better (in my opinion). and i am, in fact, a stones freak.

thanks pcqgod for making it. (so glad ya didn't hafta work.)

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

i hope everyone has a fantastic weekend. i will join the merry bunch downstairs, already entirely happified.

to absent friends, all.

*chink*

::smacksmacksmacksmack::

p.s. did pcqgod ever tell me about the goat's head reissue? i'll check later, mwhahahahaaa

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 04 Sep 2020, 21:51

It's been a while since I last played Sticky Fingers - heard it so many times, have so many other albums nowadays I'd kind of forgotten what a cracker it really is.

Great suggestion Kath, and perhaps S. F. is the proggiest of Stones albums - Can't You Hear Me Knocking & Moonlight Mile in particular.

Thanks all for the most excellent company, enjoy your weekends.

To Reap and Loki.

*chink*

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 04 Sep 2020, 21:52

I enjoyed listening to that album even more than I usually do. It really is an all-time classic.

Well done, Rolling Stones.

Well done.

And thank you, kath.
Jimbo wrote:And don't say it isn't a flu because it is so flu like it may as well have been a flu.

Thank you for reading - you have now been inoculated against Jimbo. Be safe, stay alert.

kath

Postby kath » 05 Sep 2020, 14:32

LMG wrote:Now I love this track.

But the sensitivity gives me indigestion so soon after brown sugar, hear him whip the women just around midnight.

Emotionally I am a bit lost now.

I think the fact that the guy who sings 'Angie' also sings 'Star Star' is part of the Stones' thing.

But on this album, I find it a tough transition.

All I'm saying.

i have a lil time this mornin, everyone's still asleep, so i wannna yap more here. i sounded so dismissive with my follow-up "nahhh" to you, chris, and i'm really not that way. so i'm gonna clarify. (everybody is duly forewarned that when i say i'm gonna clarify, yer probably gonna need some aspirin, mwhaha.)

my formative years are very well repped by this album. i was steeped in the musical culture of white brit and american rock bands translating the blues. a very strong face of that was the whole sexdroogsrocknroll, women as bitches and animals, head for backstage pass, women as groupies passed around, etcetcetc. i get it entirely if you haven't been around it for a long time and we've all gotten here so many years away, how the strength of that stuff can kinda knock you in the face. i get it. we could apply the same effect to writers, poets, movies, you name it. how offensive some of that stuff is, removed from context or even back in the day, is a very genuine and valid reaction.

back in that day? it was par for the course if you loved rock.

did anyone actually think the stones were lockin up women in stalls and whippin em at midnight? well, no. of course, some of those rockers in general *were* beastly, abusive fucques in real life. most weren't. they were in those extremes striking a pose that was very popular and widespread at the time. oh they were all sexdroogsrocknroll in real life, but the line of what is really abusive is pretty complicated.

did a track like bitch turn young guys into beastly fucques, or feed substantially into the prevailing probs? that's a trickier question, how deep that cultural picture of women is. in real life, on the street? the danger and the threat was manifest everydamnday. y'all know the flaming, moronic, racist, sexist, empathy-free fucquestick over in nextdoorland? he bitched about virtue signalling over there, and a i gave a very brief history of my past with cops. it was not pretty. it was not pretty for my girlfriends. if you were a female back then with a brain and a mouth, there were many ways you were made to pay for it.

how i survived all that is... well, the first reason is blind fucquin luck, mwhaha, honestly. just the times i never should've gotten out of a vehicle alive could be counted on ten hands. (christ, i hate math.) but i also learned to pick my battles. like i said in the listen, i walked into a party and saw needles, walked out. i took one punch to the face in a relationship. made sure that would never happen again as well. if i met anyone backstage anywhere, i already knew what type of person he was. many women weren't as careful and paid for it. they never should've had to pay for it in the first place, but, well, reality. so how seriously i took the stones was very low on a scale. if i sounded dismissive about it, it's in part my own priority scale i developed as i grew up.

but aside from allllll that, whatever it is i just said, there is sumthin at the core here that should always be understood and respected. that's a person's gut reaction to this stuff. any "art". anything that bothers a person enough that it outweighs his or her enjoyment of the rest of it. that includes if the artist is bothersome, and one can no longer separate the art from the artist. too outweighed. and we ALL draw those lines. just becuz we draw em in different places for different reasons doesn't mean we can write off someone else's lines. it means we should understand em better and be respectful of em. right? right.

well, we all draw those lines unless we're like that flaming fucquestick over in NDL.

hell, i grew up loving mel gibson movies. when i heard him use one phrase~~he called jews "oven-dodgers"~~i was so sickened and repulsed that i've never been able to watch a movie of his again. cuz when ya get right down to it, those kinds of fucquesticks just aint worth a microsecond of yer time. life is too short.

upshot: pardon if i sounded dismissive, chris. ::smack::

kath

Re: PSL: The Rolling Stones: Cool, Calm & Collected

Postby kath » 05 Sep 2020, 14:40

p.s. oh, and i wanted to share my extremely scientific theory i developed in my wayward yute about can't you hear me knockin.

quaalades were realllllly big back in my day, heavy-duty, addictive sleeping pills.

the stamp on the pill was RORER 714.

can't you hear me knockin, that anthem to would you wake the fucque up already, is exactly 7:14 runnin time.

just yew think about it.

(decides to make her own tin foil hat.)

edit: that would be quaaludes. for those not currently spellin-compromised.
Last edited by kath on 05 Sep 2020, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

pcqgod

Re: PSL: The Rolling Stones: Cool, Calm & Collected

Postby pcqgod » 05 Sep 2020, 16:30

kath wrote:p.s. oh, and i wanted to share my extremely scientific theory i developed in my wayward yute about can't you hear me knockin.

quaalades were realllllly big back in my day, heavy-duty, addictive sleeping pills.

the stamp on the pill was RORER 714.

can't you hear me knockin, that anthem to would you wake the fucque up already, is exactly 7:14 runnin time.

just yew think about it.

(decides to make her own tin foil hat.)

:o

kath

Postby kath » 06 Sep 2020, 22:46

we still have houseguests, and they have now officially driven me insane. it's true. so i make some excuse to go.. oh, take a shower (it's hotter than the face of the sun, people)... or this, or that. and i had a very real reason to try to get just a lillll alone time with my phones on my puter. (note: just in case no one knows it, minnie and baron RULE my world right now.)

anyway, i fly back thru this thread, and i realize no one probably gets this bit. i know brits won't get it.

kath wrote:say it with dead flowers at my wedding.... mwhahahahaa oh what a brilliant lyrical variation

at the time, there was a very common ad campaign on tee vee for, i dunno, florists, the american florists brigade, whatever. and the tag line was, say it with flowers.

so there's mick, singin over and over again send me dead flowers... send me dead flowers... etc. and that shift to say it with dead flowers. oh lord, folk, the first time i heard that, wherever i was, i lost it. i just hurt myself laughin.

if you think the stones at their prime didn't know EXACTLY what they were doin, yer crazy.

er... yeah.

what.

coming soon: kath's annotated sticky fucquin fingers, available at yer local bookseller... wellllllll.....

p.s. minnie and baron rule. minnie played my song for reap. and i'm just gonna go NOT blubber over everyone.

p.p.s. and if you think i aint comin back to the goats head thread, yer even crazier. hint: hatz has it exactly right. thank yew.

C
Robust

Postby C » 07 Sep 2020, 12:51

pcqgod wrote:Mick T.'s best solo with the Stones, for sure, at the end of "Sway."

Agreed

This is my go to Taylor solo

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 08 Sep 2020, 16:51

C wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Mick T.'s best solo with the Stones, for sure, at the end of "Sway."

Agreed

This is my go to Taylor solo

Thanks. I'd never heard that. From what I have heard, my favorite Taylor soloing is live, especially on 'Ya Ya's' and 'Brussels Affair' which happily enough has been released as part of the new Goats Head Soup package.