Divine Comedy
Lightning Seeds
Snowasis
Pulp
Saint Etienne
Supergrass
Verve

There, that's all you need.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 28 Aug 2020, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Re: Narrow the Britpop bands down to the core

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Aug 2020, 04:43

I could whittle that list down to Supergrass, personally.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Aug 2020, 04:49

Charlie O. wrote:I could whittle that list down to Supergrass, personally.

Wow! Picky. Yes, they were perhaps the most exciting of the lot.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Aug 2020, 04:57

Most of the others had their moments and I can see why people liked them, but they all overstayed their welcome.* Some of them overstayed their welcome with the first album.

* Actually, I've never heard of Snowasis. Or is that just Oasis once the cocaine took over?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 28 Aug 2020, 05:39

Blur were always the best and their reputation both live and in the studio will only grow.

Suede are exceptional live but don't have enough really great songs.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 28 Aug 2020, 05:57

Suede.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Aug 2020, 07:26

Charlie O. wrote:

* Actually, I've never heard of Snowasis. Or is that just Oasis once the cocaine took over?

Yes. :)

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 28 Aug 2020, 08:41

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Suede.

Yes.

GM, I'm presuming you mean Snow Patrol for Snowasis.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

jimboo wrote:At the age of 57 I had my first pickled egg.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 28 Aug 2020, 08:47

Snowasis? Might as well have heroin Suede and Crack Grape. Either Oasis are in or they're out!
Last edited by slightbreeze on 28 Aug 2020, 10:18, edited 2 times in total.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Aug 2020, 08:56

Pulp, Saint Etienne, and Radiohead are the only bands who are even vaguely interesting there, and none are really core britpop. Pulp are the britpoppiest.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

robertff

Postby robertff » 28 Aug 2020, 11:54

Radiohead and Blur are the only ones who made albums of any real interest and thus will stand the test of time, most of the rest were highly derivative but entertainingly so.

Oasis are still hugely popular with constant demands for them to reform and if they did they would still easily fill a stadium, so perhaps they will last the pace, I think the rest remain affectionately in the minds of their fans but have already largely disappeared from popular consciousness.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Aug 2020, 12:35

Samoan wrote:GM, I'm presuming you mean Snow Patrol for Snowasis.

The tabloids dubbed the Gallaghers "Snowasis" in 96.

NowhereMan

Postby NowhereMan » 30 Aug 2020, 01:36

Pulp
Suede
Blue
Oasis

Those are the big four as far as I see it. with Supergrass as a possible no.5 (and I imagine how a lot of the 90s UK audience saw them as the biggies) I've never really seen Radiohead as a Britpop band, it's easier to just call them 'Alternate Rock'.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 30 Aug 2020, 04:16

i really shouldn't comment as i don't know much of any of those bands. i was reallly busy in the 90s and i missed so much... with one exception.

there is only one band on that list that i bought when i heard their first single (i actually pulled off the highway to find a record store after i heard it, mwhaha) and ended up giving me multiple albums of pleasure.

that would be radiohead.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Aug 2020, 05:57

kath wrote:i really shouldn't comment as i don't know much of any of those bands. i was reallly busy in the 90s and i missed so much... with one exception.

there is only one band on that list that i bought when i heard their first single (i actually pulled off the highway to find a record store after i heard it, mwhaha) and ended up giving me multiple albums of pleasure.

that would be radiohead.

You're thinking of "Creep", I presume. But how about the rest of that album, "Pablo Honey"?

kath

Postby kath » 30 Aug 2020, 06:17

GoogaMooga wrote:
kath wrote:i really shouldn't comment as i don't know much of any of those bands. i was reallly busy in the 90s and i missed so much... with one exception.

that would be radiohead.

You're thinking of "Creep", I presume. But how about the rest of that album, "Pablo Honey"?

i still like it. i liked the whole vibe, the whole sound, although it was creep that really got me.

but they hit their real fucquin stride on the next album. as far as i'm concerned, they never let up after that.

kath

Postby kath » 30 Aug 2020, 07:56

i just went on a lil radiohead kick, and i'm gonna add a bit more. creep was my doorway, but there really is so much great stuff there. i need to do a lil more justice to em.

who really knows why music hits ya a certain way?

fake plastic trees. hell, that track. the swell up, receding back, swellllll... by the time i get to the end of that track, i am shredded in the most moved way. do i know why it does this to me? nope.

there is one tiny lil turn in the middle of no surprises, a tiny lil thing. it makes my heart leap right outta my chest.

not. a. clue. why. mwhaha. but that band has albums brimming with stuff like that.

one last thing: my dearly departed beezle, when she left for school, she "borrowed" scads of my cds. i had a blast goin thru and seeing which ones she took. enlightening, mwhaha.

however, there were only two bands she cleared out completely. took every damn thing i had by em.

one was the cocteau twins. she was fanatical for the twins.

the second was radiohead. i had no idea that one was coming.

whatever it is that is in radiohead, she felt it, too.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Aug 2020, 11:25

I like:

Creep single
My Iron Lung EP
The Bends
OK Computer

and that's it.

kath

Postby kath » 30 Aug 2020, 12:59

GoogaMooga wrote:I like:

Creep single
My Iron Lung EP
The Bends
OK Computer

and that's it.

okay then.

i've heard a few tracks from most of those bands that i like. blur... i think i used a supergrass track in the main cup once cuz it caught my ear and was fun. fly bys, usually on this board. but i've never owned any albums by these non-radiohead bands except for oasis, (what's the story) morning glory. i bought it on the strength of champagne supernova. i liked it then but never listen to it now.

so anybody around here wanna throw out a few worthy album titles of albums y'all love by these bands? i'll give em a try.

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Aug 2020, 13:12

I can honestly say I have not knowingly heard anything by any of the listed bands

There is one exception, I saw Blur live with My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr twice.

Something like the 'Lollapolla tour" (??)

I wasn't very keen

This type of music - Blur et alia was not my thing.

I'm more a Pixies, MBV, Breeders, Throwing Muses, Pavement, Built to Spill type of guy...

kath wrote:(she squints, focusing all her concentration...)

inn dooooob ittt ableeee.