Peter Green RIP

Do talk back
Tactful Cactus

Re: Peter Green RIP

Postby Tactful Cactus » 25 Jul 2020, 23:56

He was one of the greats, if only for a brief period. Songwriting and voice shouldn't be overlooked but that guitar style, utterly unique, memorable and a thrill to listen to.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 26 Jul 2020, 00:45

Just found out about this
Awful news, what a sound he had!

robertff

Postby robertff » 26 Jul 2020, 08:04

Described by BB King as the only guitarist “to give me the cold sweats”.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 26 Jul 2020, 10:22

robertff wrote:Described by BB King as the only guitarist “to give me the cold sweats”.

A great tribute from a legend ...................and you are one of the few folk to see him in full flow at what turned out to be his peek given subsequent events. Officially jealous as will be most folk on here.
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 26 Jul 2020, 10:40

I never went deep into the studio albums, but the collection I wore out in my 20's was the BBC Sessions. Its brimming with great performances from all three of the leads but especially Peter. Fool No More is the best example of his "cold sweat" playing. A song that just bubbles over with anger and deceit and its all in the playing and the vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaZvwGhcdSA

sidenote: I love those little arpeggio runs throughout the song (starting at 0.19) -- nobody else did that stuff

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Jul 2020, 16:57

The BBC sessions are indeed a treasure trove.

I'd give a shout out too to the 1970 Boston Tea Party tapes, and in particular to the seven song album first released from them - the equal of any of their studio albums, for me.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Jul 2020, 18:11

I only found out an hour so ago. A great - a guitarist's guitarist, I believe.

RIP Peter Green. :cry:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 26 Jul 2020, 21:22

Charlie O. wrote:The BBC sessions are indeed a treasure trove.

I'd give a shout out too to the 1970 Boston Tea Party tapes, and in particular to the seven song album first released from them - the equal of any of their studio albums, for me.

I think that at the next opprtuinty, I'll religiously listen to the complete Boston set you sent me eons ago, Charlie!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Jul 2020, 23:18

Neige wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:The BBC sessions are indeed a treasure trove.

I think that at the next opprtuinty, I'll religiously listen to the complete Boston set you sent me eons ago, Charlie!

:D I'm impressed that you still have it (and that it still plays)!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 27 Jul 2020, 15:16

In tribute, Greil Marcus' website has put up something he first published back in March in his "Real Life Rock Top 10" column. It's nice.

https://greilmarcus.net/2020/07/26/not-on-any-map-peter-greens-country-03-27-2020/

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 27 Jul 2020, 15:43

I saw him in what I believe was his first, or one of his first, comeback gigs at Dingwalls in the mid-90s with the Splinter group. Had coincidentally just recently rediscovered an autograph I got from that gig and had been chatting about it with the friend who I went with. It was the definition of a tentative gig, but such a great atmosphere and presence. I think I'd discovered him through Mojo - if I remember right they ran an issue that highlighted the 3-4 best 60s casualties (I think it was Spence, Barrett, Green and maybe Arthur Lee, or maybe it was Erickson). I devoured that issue.

I haven't really kept up to speed with Green since then which I really should have done. Will dive straight back in. RIP.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 27 Jul 2020, 17:29

Geezee wrote:I haven't really kept up to speed with Green since then which I really should have done. Will dive straight back in. RIP.

Last I heard he'd retired to Canvey Island. BBC4 did a doc with him a couple of years ago and he looked well, chatting openly about his Mac days. Its worth finding it, just to see him as a regular chatty bloke. Not a hint of either the guitar-God or the foggy acid-casualty of the past.

I hope he had a full, happy life in his final years.

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Jul 2020, 17:46

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

`

Postby ` » 01 Sep 2020, 17:38

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Geezee wrote:I haven't really kept up to speed with Green since then which I really should have done. Will dive straight back in. RIP.

Last I heard he'd retired to Canvey Island. BBC4 did a doc with him a couple of years ago and he looked well, chatting openly about his Mac days. Its worth finding it, just to see him as a regular chatty bloke. Not a hint of either the guitar-God or the foggy acid-casualty of the past.

I hope he had a full, happy life in his final years.

Terrific doc - actually made in 2009. Well worth watching.

Was repeated on Fri night and should still be up on

Sad story but he seemed to have found some peace.

Return to “Yakety Yak”