If The Beatles dominated the 60s, who dominated the 70s...?

Do talk back
User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5825
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: If The Beatles dominated the 60s, who dominated the 70s...?

Postby robertff » 26 Jul 2020, 16:57

Tactful Cactus wrote:Dominated to me means commercial worth. There's a good no-frills website here that tries to calculate the success of each artist per decade. Nobody here has mentioned The Rolling Stones and yet they're number 2 on this list. To a music fan you think of the Stones as a slow-fade in the 1970's but they absolutely owned that decade. Elton John had an exceptional ten years but he dropped 13 places between 70's and 80's. The 1980's was like a spring clean. They all got booted out of the top ten except...the Stones!




Interesting, Stones 3 in the 60s, 2 in the 70s, 10 in the 80s, 38 in the 90s.


.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68988
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: If The Beatles dominated the 60s, who dominated the 70s...?

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Jul 2020, 18:43

Tactful Cactus wrote:Dominated to me means commercial worth. There's a good no-frills website here that tries to calculate the success of each artist per decade. Nobody here has mentioned The Rolling Stones and yet they're number 2 on this list. To a music fan you think of the Stones as a slow-fade in the 1970's but they absolutely owned that decade. They all got booted out of the top ten except...the Stones!


Led Zeppelin outsold The Rolling Stone in the 70's - both in terms of record sales and touring.
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 18170
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: If The Beatles dominated the 60s, who dominated the 70s...?

Postby Tactful Cactus » 26 Jul 2020, 21:15

Diamond Dog wrote:Led Zeppelin outsold The Rolling Stone in the 70's - both in terms of record sales and touring.


Its based on chart data, lack of successful singles would probably affect Zeps position on that list*

*which isn't mind by the way, take it up with them

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68988
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: If The Beatles dominated the 60s, who dominated the 70s...?

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Jul 2020, 21:21

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Led Zeppelin outsold The Rolling Stone in the 70's - both in terms of record sales and touring.


Its based on chart data, lack of successful singles would probably affect Zeps position on that list*

*which isn't mind by the way, take it up with them


No need to get defensive now! :)

They were both on the same label - it was a well established fact within the Atlantic house that Zep were outselling everyone (including The Stones) in terms of album sales . In terms of gross from tours, it wasn't even close. It was one of the prime reasons for the lack of respect shown by the Stones (particularly Keef and Charlie) to Zep... they didn't enjoy playing second fiddle to any band in the world, let alone on their own label!
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."