Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Bands that are down to one founding member left

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Jul 2020, 23:08

Big Big Train (Greg Spawton)

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 27 Jul 2020, 20:54

Graeme Edge is the only original Moody Blues member in the group.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 27 Jul 2020, 22:19

War is perhaps the most shameless & bothersome example of this. One member leases the name from the manager, who officially owns it.

The other 4 living members have to perform as the Lowrider Band and are prohibited from ever saying the name "War" in their marketing.

I have seen both. The War with the one guy in it is not bad, the musicians are all Berklee School of Music type players and the repertoire is fantastic, so how bad can it be? But the Lowrider Band, who I have seen three times, definitely have the magic, including the incomparable harmonica playing of Lee Oskar. It feels like a terrible injustice and those 4 guys would agree.

I was working on a piece about it for LAist about 10 years ago, had interviewed four of the members and was getting ready to put it together, when I ran into Lee Oskar at NAMM and he basically asked me to kill the piece and stop asking them questions. The drummer, Harold Brown, who had been very forthcoming & even had me to his house for dinner, stopped answering my emails. I have to believe they had another legal challenge at some point and they didn't want to be seen taking action to assert themselves. They may have even been suspicious of me. To this day they are booked under the name Lowrider Band & prohibited from using the name War. I ran into Harold at gigs a couple years later, and he was friendly, but we never did get it together to talk again & i just let it go.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Jul 2020, 07:25

bobzilla77 wrote:War is perhaps the most shameless & bothersome example of this. One member leases the name from the manager, who officially owns it.

The other 4 living members have to perform as the Lowrider Band and are prohibited from ever saying the name "War" in their marketing.

I have seen both. The War with the one guy in it is not bad, the musicians are all Berklee School of Music type players and the repertoire is fantastic, so how bad can it be? But the Lowrider Band, who I have seen three times, definitely have the magic, including the incomparable harmonica playing of Lee Oskar. It feels like a terrible injustice and those 4 guys would agree.

I was working on a piece about it for LAist about 10 years ago, had interviewed four of the members and was getting ready to put it together, when I ran into Lee Oskar at NAMM and he basically asked me to kill the piece and stop asking them questions. The drummer, Harold Brown, who had been very forthcoming & even had me to his house for dinner, stopped answering my emails. I have to believe they had another legal challenge at some point and they didn't want to be seen taking action to assert themselves. They may have even been suspicious of me. To this day they are booked under the name Lowrider Band & prohibited from using the name War. I ran into Harold at gigs a couple years later, and he was friendly, but we never did get it together to talk again & i just let it go.

Do you remember how long this has been going on for? Zilth Pilchards and I met a couple of members of WAR in the dining area of a London hotel. That was in 95/96, so now I m not sure we even talked to the real guys!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 29 Jul 2020, 11:19

Status Quo
The Complete Slade Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 29 Jul 2020, 11:51

bobzilla77 wrote:War is perhaps the most shameless & bothersome example of this. One member leases the name from the manager, who officially owns it.

Wow I had no idea - thanks for sharing that story.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 29 Jul 2020, 12:59

Quite disingenuously, Graham Gouldman tours as 10cc
The Complete Slade Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 29 Jul 2020, 20:37

ELO, but after all Lynne has been the only member of real consequence since their sophomore release, right?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 29 Jul 2020, 21:01

The Slider wrote:Quite disingenuously, Graham Gouldman tours as 10cc

Does he just play 10cc songs, or does he do his other stuff like Bus stop or For your love as well?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 29 Jul 2020, 23:16

Positive Passion wrote:

Does he just play 10cc songs, or does he do his other stuff like Bus stop or For your love as well?

I was gonna say, he was better BEFORE 10cc!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 30 Jul 2020, 02:31

GoogaMooga wrote:

Do you remember how long this has been going on for? Zilth Pilchards and I met a couple of members of WAR in the dining area of a London hotel. That was in 95/96, so now I m not sure we even talked to the real guys!

That was around the time of the reunion album which did feature most of the original members.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 30 Jul 2020, 10:04

The Waterboys - to all intents and purposes Mike Scott has been a one-man band since about their second album.

Recall reading somewhere that the band has had more members than The Fall although that sounds a little hard to believe

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 30 Jul 2020, 11:38

Steely Dan
Give a shit or be a shit.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 30 Jul 2020, 13:21

Positive Passion wrote:

No idea.
You don't imagine I'd actually go and see him do you?

Romeo Challenger is the only remaining member of Showaddywaddy

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 31 Jul 2020, 03:31

For how long did Freddie keep any of the original Dreamers around, I wonder.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 31 Jul 2020, 03:33

Charlie O. wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:Ronnie was one of the plane crash victims.

I meant Johnny

Not a founding member.

What about Donnie?

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 31 Jul 2020, 03:36

The Fall - only Mark E Smith in the final lineup.

They were great though, right up to the end.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 31 Jul 2020, 13:32

Another band on the one founding member left list, Dexy's seem have decided on a new look...