You should still be buying CD's

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

You should still be buying CD's

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Jul 2020, 22:52

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

`

Re: You should still be buying CD's

Postby ` » 07 Jul 2020, 05:09

Nice piece. Kudos to the author, a certain Mr. H. Emvee, and to you for sharing it.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Jul 2020, 05:15

I still buy everything on CD and that'll continue for some yet until they stop producing them altogether.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Jul 2020, 06:30

I've never stopped buying them. Don't see the appeal of vinyl either. Of course an SACD sounds better than a CD, and a 5.1 blu ray sounds the best of all.

robertff

Postby robertff » 07 Jul 2020, 07:29

I buy both but prefer vinyl for a number of the reasons mentioned in the piece.

I've got quite a few of both but it always interests me that when friends come over it's always the vinyl they look at, not the CDs - just an observation.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Jul 2020, 08:48

Obviously the sound quality argument depends on multiple things, and if you're buying albums which were originally recorded in analogue (which is most people here, I guess), you get very varied results from CDs, where a decent vinyl copy is usually better. But yeah, I buy bucket-loads of CDs, you can get 'em really cheap, and I've got around 3 or 4 times as many CDs as vinyl. I don't really do streaming or MP3s, aside from the amazon echo thing, which I don't pay for the full amazon music thing.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

`

Postby ` » 07 Jul 2020, 09:08

CDs all the way for me - 5.1 BluRays if I love the album in question and can buy them as they
are well worth the few quid extra they cost - the Steven Wilson XTCs are a revelation

When I moved back to Europe a few years back, got all my LPs shipped over from the UK,

Despite my always having taken very good care of them, they're all been halfway round the world
and back and buffeted to fuck in the process so I rarely ever play them (that and the fact I am too
old, fat and lazy to get up and turn the damn things over every 20 minutes!)

Can you still buy SACDs? I remember they were the "Next. Big. Thing" for about 5 minutes 20 years back,
but, like mini discs and DAT cassettes before them, failed to achieve any real traction - in the mass market at least.

robertff

Postby robertff » 07 Jul 2020, 10:09

Sam Stone wrote:CDs all the way for me - 5.1 BluRays if I love the album in question and can buy them as they
are well worth the few quid extra they cost - the Steven Wilson XTCs are a revelation

When I moved back to Europe a few years back, got all my LPs shipped over from the UK,

Despite my always having taken very good care of them, they're all been halfway round the world
and back and buffeted to fuck in the process so I rarely ever play them (that and the fact I am too
old, fat and lazy to get up and turn the damn things over every 20 minutes!
)

Can you still buy SACDs? I remember they were the "Next. Big. Thing" for about 5 minutes 20 years back,
but, like mini discs and DAT cassettes before them, failed to achieve any real traction - in the mass market at least.

That's why vinyl is such a good idea - keeps you moving keeps you fit. :D

`

Postby ` » 07 Jul 2020, 11:57

robertff wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:CDs all the way for me - 5.1 BluRays if I love the album in question and can buy them as they

)

I'd get off my fat arse and chase you across the room if I thought there was a chance I might catch you!

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 07 Jul 2020, 17:18

I haven't bought a CD since I got my latest car, which doesn't have a CD player in it. The car was the only place I used to play them really. When I'm at home I mostly listen to Spotify and vinyl.
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 07 Jul 2020, 18:16

I prefer to buy a hard copy, but some things are only released digitally as far as I am aware - like Beyonce Knowles's The Gift and Homecoming albums. Please correct me if I am wrong - I would love to get hard copies.

robertff

Postby robertff » 07 Jul 2020, 19:21

Sam Stone wrote:
robertff wrote:

)

I'd get off my fat arse and chase you across the room if I thought there was a chance I might catch you!

All that training I do getting up and down to change the record I doubt it. ;)

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 07 Jul 2020, 20:15

Darkness_Fish wrote:Obviously the sound quality argument depends on multiple things, and if you're buying albums which were originally recorded in analogue (which is most people here, I guess), you get very varied results from CDs

True, but you get very varied results from vinyl, too - which of course is one reason CDs seemed like a godsend when they first came along. Even during the current wave of vinyl-mania I've heard some flippin' awful LP reissues. Not to mention the ones that are mastered from CDs!

In other words, I'm loath to generalize.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 07 Jul 2020, 21:13

sounds like somebody still trying to save music sales. I'm sorry I stopped buying a few years ago. My ears are shot and I can barely hear the difference between streaming and cd/vinyl. The savings there goes to music anyway - prior to covid it was live concerts and streaming services. Now streaming services and tv formats.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 08 Jul 2020, 04:34

Portable cd players are not a thing of the past.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Jul 2020, 08:35

Charlie O. wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Obviously the sound quality argument depends on multiple things, and if you're buying albums which were originally recorded in analogue (which is most people here, I guess), you get very varied results from CDs

True, but you get very varied results from vinyl, too - which of course is one reason CDs seemed like a godsend when they first came along. Even during the current wave of vinyl-mania I've heard some flippin' awful LP reissues. Not to mention the ones that are mastered from CDs!

In other words, I'm loath to generalize.

Oh yeah, I meant an original vinyl copy, reissues are likely to have been digitally twatted about with. I'm not generally someone who gets the 'deluxe remaster' unless it's the only way to get the album.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

`

Postby ` » 08 Jul 2020, 10:48

robertff wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:
robertff wrote:

I wouldn't get too complacent there, R!

I've just invested in a bunch of 7" singles (no maxi singles or EPs!) and a Dansette record player with the stack removed. Already got my sofa to record player time down to a respectable (for me anyway!) 58 seconds, and I'll be cutting it down further still if my emergency open heart surgery later today goes well

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Jul 2020, 14:08

Sam Stone wrote:
robertff wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:

I wouldn't get too complacent there, R!

I've just invested in a bunch of 7" singles (no maxi singles or EPs!) and a Dansette record player with the stack removed. Already got my sofa to record player time down to a respectable (for me anyway!) 58 seconds, and I'll be cutting it down further still if my emergency open heart surgery later today goes well

:lol:

That made me laugh out loud Sam - I look forward to the day we can compete, preferably not in hospital!

Return to “Yakety Yak”