Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen: We'll Be All Right

Do talk back
User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57289
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen: We'll Be All Right

Postby C » 28 Jun 2020, 20:02

LMG wrote:
Image

It keeps coming up on the Prog Synch listen suggestions list but never gets enough votes in the abstruse and complex voting proceedings, so I wrote a little sketch about that, C suggested I should post it here:

LMG Meets Jorma Kaukonen (and vice versa)

C wrote:So kath will have the choice of selecting three next. You can resubmit a 'failed' band as many times as one wants so for example one of Kath's three might be Jorma


I read this and I was thinking what a shame it is that the travel restrictions means suspension of my many ongoing encounters with rock musicians. I would love to bump into Jorma Kaukonen.

I imagine it would go like this... (queue wavy dream lines like in a sitcom)...

[Scene: The Poundland shop in Penge, in the queue]

LMG (addresses customer next to him): Hey! Are you Jorma from Hot Tuna?!!
Jorma: Yes, yeah - you got me...
LMG: That's great! I can never pronounce your name - is it 'Kaka-nan'?
Jorma: No, no, you see it's...
LMG: You won't BELIEVE this - I think of you all the time! You see, there's this music website that came out of Mojo magazine, you read that, right, well some of us get together twice a week on-line and all listen to an album we've chosen and make comments about the music!
Jorma: That is sweet of you. And you all played one of my albums?
LMG: Not exactly. You are what is termed by our organiser a 'failed band or artist', meaning your name keeps coming up week in and week out, but you never get enough votes from the four of us for us to actually choose to play one of your albums. It's why I spotted you - I see your name every single week!
Jorma: Hmmph.
LMG: Yeah - you're sort of the Hillary Clinton of the Black Cat Bone Board Prog Synchronised Listen Artists Under Consideration - everyone knows who you are, but you just can't seem to get where you need to be. It WILL happen, I reckon, eventually, but do you know how many Black Sabbath albums there are?
Jorma: I know there's a bunch.
LMG: Yeah, it's tough. Nice talking to you, gotta go pay for my hand sanitizer now - Hey - now do you see the Starship guys much lately? 'We Built This City On Rock And Roll' - bet you saw some groupie action way back when THAT was in the charts, hey?
Jorma: Well, you see I wasn't actually...
LMG: Later, Ca-Ca Man! Love Ya!






.
Last edited by C on 03 Jul 2020, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 2522
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby Hightea » 29 Jun 2020, 01:28

Solo Jorma JOrma is one of my 8 (6 now) musicians I've seen in 5 decades and may see in 2020's

Jorma Live
11/18/77(Hot Tuna),11/21/78(Solo),7/13/79(solo),09/03/82(solo), 8/18/88 (Hot Tuna),8/13/94( woodstock 94), 10/19/95(Guitar Summit),5/11/00(with Warren Haynes),11/21/18(electric Hot Tuna),11/25/18(acoustic HT), 8/15/19(HT)

Little water song (Burgers is the killer Hot Tuna album)

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57289
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 29 Jun 2020, 09:52

Hightea wrote:Solo Jorma JOrma is one of my 8 (6 now) musicians I've seen in 5 decades and may see in 2020's

Jorma Live
11/18/77(Hot Tuna),11/21/78(Solo),7/13/79(solo),09/03/82(solo), 8/18/88 (Hot Tuna),8/13/94( woodstock 94), 10/19/95(Guitar Summit),5/11/00(with Warren Haynes),11/21/18(electric Hot Tuna),11/25/18(acoustic HT), 8/15/19(HT)

Little water song (Burgers is the killer Hot Tuna album)


Excellent HT - let's hope he remains with us





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57289
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 03 Jul 2020, 09:37

Today!



.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 03 Jul 2020, 20:49

LMG wrote:
I read this and I was thinking what a shame it is that the travel restrictions means suspension of my many ongoing encounters with rock musicians. I would love to bump into Jorma Kaukonen.

I imagine it would go like this... (queue wavy dream lines like in a sitcom)...

[Scene: The Poundland shop in Penge, in the queue]

LMG (addresses customer next to him): Hey! Are you Jorma from Hot Tuna?!!
Jorma: Yes, yeah - you got me...
LMG: That's great! I can never pronounce your name - is it 'Kaka-nan'?
Jorma: No, no, you see it's...
LMG: You won't BELIEVE this - I think of you all the time! You see, there's this music website that came out of Mojo magazine, you read that, right, well some of us get together twice a week on-line and all listen to an album we've chosen and make comments about the music!
Jorma: That is sweet of you. And you all played one of my albums?
LMG: Not exactly. You are what is termed by our organiser a 'failed band or artist', meaning your name keeps coming up week in and week out, but you never get enough votes from the four of us for us to actually choose to play one of your albums. It's why I spotted you - I see your name every single week!
Jorma: Hmmph.
LMG: Yeah - you're sort of the Hillary Clinton of the Black Cat Bone Board Prog Synchronised Listen Artists Under Consideration - everyone knows who you are, but you just can't seem to get where you need to be. It WILL happen, I reckon, eventually, but do you know how many Black Sabbath albums there are?
Jorma: I know there's a bunch.
LMG: Yeah, it's tough. Nice talking to you, gotta go pay for my hand sanitizer now - Hey - now do you see the Starship guys much lately? 'We Built This City On Rock And Roll' - bet you saw some groupie action way back when THAT was in the charts, hey?
Jorma: Well, you see I wasn't actually...
LMG: Later, Ca-Ca Man! Love Ya!


mwhahahahahaaaa.



gearin up, for some of my fave acoustickry ever. sigh.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 03 Jul 2020, 20:57

what does quah mean? does anybody know what it means?

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 03 Jul 2020, 21:00

greetings!! happy quahday. mwhaha. i so love this album.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8934
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby John aka Josh » 03 Jul 2020, 21:00

Good afternoon/evening!

I raise my glass to wish you good health and happiness, and as a toast to absent friends.



*chink*
Image

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 03 Jul 2020, 21:01

luvly luvly pickery to all kaths

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57289
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 03 Jul 2020, 21:01

Evening/afternoon all

Sit back and chill

To absent friends

*chink*






.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 03 Jul 2020, 21:02

cheers and the same to you, JJ

to absent friends

*chink*

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 9682
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby LMG » 03 Jul 2020, 21:02

Hello everyone, again!

*chink*

To absent friends.
'You're sort of the Hillary Clinton of the Black Cat Bone Prog Synchronised Listen Artists Under Consideration - everyone knows who you are, but you just can't seem to get where you need to be.'

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57289
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 03 Jul 2020, 21:02

kath wrote:luvly luvly pickery to all kaths


Afternoon kath

A great opening track

Absolutely delicious







.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8934
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby John aka Josh » 03 Jul 2020, 21:03

kath wrote:what does quah mean? does anybody know what it means?




Not me.


Sounds like an epithet that could be spoken in an exasperated tone, so not fitting in with the tone of the album, which I find relaxing and uplifting.
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57289
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 03 Jul 2020, 21:03

LMG wrote:Hello everyone, again!

*chink*

To absent friends.


Hi Chris

Hi JJ

Such a lovely track - the orchestration lifts it to another place

Beautiful





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 03 Jul 2020, 21:03

C wrote:
kath wrote:luvly luvly pickery to all kaths


Afternoon kath

A great opening track

Absolutely delicious







.


it is delicious and wunnerful and beautimous. ya ya

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 9682
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby LMG » 03 Jul 2020, 21:03

kath wrote:what does quah mean? does anybody know what it means?


Jorma was singularly unforthcoming when I asked him. Maybe I inadvertently upset him or something?
'You're sort of the Hillary Clinton of the Black Cat Bone Prog Synchronised Listen Artists Under Consideration - everyone knows who you are, but you just can't seem to get where you need to be.'

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 03 Jul 2020, 21:04

i just luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv the blues that come flyin in everywhere, such a great mix

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 9682
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby LMG » 03 Jul 2020, 21:04

LOVE this track (Genesis), always really rated the Hot Tuna versions, love these strings here.
Last edited by LMG on 03 Jul 2020, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8934
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Jorma Kaukonen, Friday 3rd July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby John aka Josh » 03 Jul 2020, 21:04

The strings are just the right side of sweet, avoiding being sickly by a bee's wing.
Image