Maybe not their best but my favourite

Do talk back
User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 18460
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Jun 2020, 06:04

My favourite - In the Court of the Crimson King
Regarded as the best - Red

My favourite - The Damned - Strawberries
Regarded as the best - Damned Damned Damned or Machine Gun Etiquette

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57217
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby C » 29 Jun 2020, 09:43

trans-chigley express wrote:Regarded as the best - Red


Good lad Ray - I was waiting for Crimso.

I am not convinced that is true...

I reckon it's In the Court of which is considered their best

I suppose in a survey it would depend on the depth and range of the sample.

Age and how much of a fan one was are two factors that come to mind. A more 'casual' fan might go for the debut....




My stab at this would be:

Regarded as best:
Image

My favourite
Image






.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57217
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby C » 29 Jun 2020, 09:45

John aka Josh wrote:Interesting choice. My favourite is Sell Out. I think most 'rock' fans would say Who's Next as their perceived best, think Who fans are more likely to say Quadrophenia is their best while people who aren't really into music much would say Tommy.


Yes, that's how I see it too JJ

I fit into the 'rock' fan category






.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
Good Night Dallas, Texas
Posts: 917
Joined: 13 Feb 2011, 01:02

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby Good Night Dallas, Texas » 29 Jun 2020, 09:50

Image

Regarded as their best? certainly their biggest selling & most well known album

My favourite

Image

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37615
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 29 Jun 2020, 10:14

C wrote:
Good Night Dallas, Texas wrote:
C wrote:What about Free....?

I assume Fire & Water is considered by many to be their 'best'...

What you reckon?






.


I think it's their best but also had a look on Rate Your Music website and they have Tons of Sobs as their highest rated studio album.


yes - it's between the two.

Let's see what Yves thinks




.



Tons of Sobs definitely for me. They were at their purest with that one. Even though they went on to greater things later on.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

Positive Passion
Posts: 1197
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby Positive Passion » 29 Jun 2020, 11:00

Good Night Dallas, Texas wrote:Image

Regarded as their best? certainly their biggest selling & most well known album

My favourite

Image


I am a making movies boy, but yes BIM is probably regarded as their best by most people.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57217
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby C » 29 Jun 2020, 11:42

Positive Passion wrote:
Good Night Dallas, Texas wrote:Image

Regarded as their best? certainly their biggest selling & most well known album

My favourite

Image


I am a making movies boy, but yes BIM is probably regarded as their best by most people.


Making Movies is a fantastically robust album - I was tempted to go for that too








.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 18460
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Jun 2020, 15:53

C wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:Regarded as the best - Red


Good lad Ray - I was waiting for Crimso.

I am not convinced that is true...

I reckon it's In the Court of which is considered their best




.

I got the albums the wrong way round :oops:

Should have been Red is my favourite

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5715
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby robertff » 29 Jun 2020, 16:15

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
C wrote:
Good Night Dallas, Texas wrote:
I think it's their best but also had a look on Rate Your Music website and they have Tons of Sobs as their highest rated studio album.


yes - it's between the two.

Let's see what Yves thinks




.



Tons of Sobs definitely for me. They were at their purest with that one. Even though they went on to greater things later on.




We must agree to disagree.


.

Positive Passion
Posts: 1197
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby Positive Passion » 29 Jun 2020, 19:51

robertff wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:
C wrote:
yes - it's between the two.

Let's see what Yves thinks




.



Tons of Sobs definitely for me. They were at their purest with that one. Even though they went on to greater things later on.




We must agree to disagree.


.


Can't you have a fight?

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37615
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 29 Jun 2020, 20:40

Positive Passion wrote:
robertff wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:

Tons of Sobs definitely for me. They were at their purest with that one. Even though they went on to greater things later on.




We must agree to disagree.


.


Can't you have a fight?



Of course not. Robertff is an esteemed member of this establishment.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5715
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby robertff » 30 Jun 2020, 12:07

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:
robertff wrote:


We must agree to disagree.


.


Can't you have a fight?



Of course not. Robertff is an esteemed member of this establishment.



You are too kind Sir, and a gentleman.


.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5715
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby robertff » 30 Jun 2020, 16:26

Considered their best?


Image


Although I really like the above this one below comes very close to being my favourite.


Image


Wish they'd done a couple more in this style before folk/rock took over.


.

User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 10163
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby slightbreeze » 30 Jun 2020, 18:04

robertff wrote:Considered their best?


Image


Although I really like the above this one below comes very close to being my favourite.


Image


Wish they'd done a couple more in this style before folk/rock took over.


.


Just about to do my Fairport comparison. Agree with what is regarded as their best, my fave is

Image

User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12505
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby The Fish » 30 Jun 2020, 19:09

I'll take "Holidays" too followed by Unhalfbricking. L&L 3rd at best.
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57217
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby C » 01 Jul 2020, 12:41

Anybody agree with this:

Considered their best:
Image

My favourite:
Image





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
Carlisle Wheeling
Posts: 1552
Joined: 25 Aug 2003, 23:26
Location: out on the time-coast..... Manchester

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 01 Jul 2020, 15:31

trans-chigley express wrote:My favourite - In the Court of the Crimson King
Regarded as the best - Red


My favourite and their best - In The Court Of The Crimson King

My second Favourite - McDonald & Giles
Regarded as their second best - In The Court Of The Crimson King

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5715
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby robertff » 01 Jul 2020, 16:08

C wrote:Anybody agree with this:

Considered their best:
Image

My favourite:
Image

.



Sorry C. the considered best is their best, can't stand all that live malarkey and the studio album isn't a match for DG. Any album with the appalling Toad on it cannot ever be considered a favourite of mine.


.

User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 10163
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby slightbreeze » 01 Jul 2020, 16:09

Image

Usually gets the nod over debut as their best

My fave

Image

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5715
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Maybe not their best but my favourite

Postby robertff » 01 Jul 2020, 16:19

slightbreeze wrote:Image

Usually gets the nod over debut as their best

My fave

Image




Tricky one I'll have to think on this - I do love Avalon, a band of two careers?


.