Dropping the album

Do talk back
User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37620
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Dropping the album

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 17 Jun 2020, 18:56

It's kinda newspeak among our radio DJ's.

An artist doesn't *release* an album anymore. It seems artists nowadays *drop* their albums.

Anybody else heard of this? To me it sounds ridiculous.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44022
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Dropping the album

Postby Dr. Baron » 17 Jun 2020, 19:08

I first heard it about 30 years ago in the world of rap and hip hop. I still feel weird hearing white people with no connection to that world say it—it seems like a real affectation to me. But the fact is that it’s pretty common now and extends to any new thing, well beyond record releases.
Last edited by Dr. Baron on 17 Jun 2020, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 28611
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Dropping the album

Postby toomanyhatz » 17 Jun 2020, 19:35

I remember the episode of 30 Rock where Tracy's wife gets her own show and becomes a star.

She speaks the memorable line "As you know, my single, 'My Single is Dropping,' is dropping."

One of my favorites of the many great moments from that show.

As you were.
toomanyhatz wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Course Yahoo! News didn't tell you this.


Oh my god! Comedy gold!!!

https://news.yahoo.com/lancet-casts-dou ... 53194.html


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018 2021? 2022?

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37620
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: Dropping the album

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 17 Jun 2020, 22:44

Dr. Baron wrote:I first heard it about 30 years ago in the world of rap and hip hop. I still feel weird hearing white people with no connection to that world say it—it seems like a real affectation to me. But the fact is that it’s pretty common now and extends to any new thing, well beyond record releases.




So Belgian radio DJ's are running 30 years behind. Huh. What else is new?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31278
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Dropping the album

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Jun 2020, 00:26

:D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 21234
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Dropping the album

Postby Muskrat » 18 Jun 2020, 03:55

I though I invented the term -- must have heard it somewhere and adopted it subconsciously.

I always thought of it in the sense of a mare "dropping" her foal. Probably not whatever whoever really coined it had in mind, of course.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 9682
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Dropping the album

Postby LMG » 18 Jun 2020, 19:00

Muskrat wrote:I thought I invented the term -- must have heard it somewhere and adopted it subconsciously.

I always thought of it in the sense of a mare "dropping" her foal. Probably not whatever whoever really coined it had in mind, of course.


Can I gently remind BCBers that it was in fact our fellow poster Yomptepi who first used the term in the sense under discussion in an interview with the music press, when he said 'My band's dropping a new album next week-- with this album we're inventing something called 'punk rock' which I am certain your readers will all be hearing a lot more about in the weeks and months, if not years to come once the album drops...'
'You're sort of the Hillary Clinton of the Black Cat Bone Prog Synchronised Listen Artists Under Consideration - everyone knows who you are, but you just can't seem to get where you need to be.'

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8934
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Dropping the album

Postby John aka Josh » 18 Jun 2020, 21:04

LMG wrote:
Muskrat wrote:I thought I invented the term -- must have heard it somewhere and adopted it subconsciously.

I always thought of it in the sense of a mare "dropping" her foal. Probably not whatever whoever really coined it had in mind, of course.


Can I gently remind BCBers that it was in fact our fellow poster Yomptepi who first used the term in the sense under discussion in an interview with the music press, when he said 'My band's dropping a new album next week-- with this album we're inventing something called 'punk rock' which I am certain your readers will all be hearing a lot more about in the weeks and months, if not years to come once the album drops...'




That's right!

The Covent Garden Interview, if I recall correctly.
Image

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37620
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: Dropping the album

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 19 Jun 2020, 18:25

John aka Josh wrote:
LMG wrote:
Muskrat wrote:I thought I invented the term -- must have heard it somewhere and adopted it subconsciously.

I always thought of it in the sense of a mare "dropping" her foal. Probably not whatever whoever really coined it had in mind, of course.


Can I gently remind BCBers that it was in fact our fellow poster Yomptepi who first used the term in the sense under discussion in an interview with the music press, when he said 'My band's dropping a new album next week-- with this album we're inventing something called 'punk rock' which I am certain your readers will all be hearing a lot more about in the weeks and months, if not years to come once the album drops...'




That's right!

The Covent Garden Interview, if I recall correctly.



I believe Yomp was dropping more than that. His pint, acid, speed. Take your pick.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23990
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Dropping the album

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 19 Jun 2020, 19:00

I just dropped this post.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

User avatar
Butch Manly
Utter Cad
Posts: 51385
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Dropping the album

Postby Butch Manly » 20 Jun 2020, 07:18

I'm not happy about albums dropping, like they've just fallen to the ground from psychedelic planes in the sky and now we have to pick them up, most likely damaged. I preferred it when an album's cage was unlocked and it was allowed to wander off into the the high street.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."