Lockdown Listen:Keith Tippett Group - You Are There... We Are Here. RIP KT

Do talk back
User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby C » 23 Jun 2020, 21:23

kath wrote:
LMG wrote:Dedicated to you, but you weren't reading...

:lol:


mwhahahaha


oooof!





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 9682
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby LMG » 23 Jun 2020, 21:24

Very well constructed piece. It would be interesting to know how much was improvised and how much was 'the piece' - this always fascinates me in jazz recordings...

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby C » 23 Jun 2020, 21:24

LMG wrote:Definitely cooking here.

I saw Elton Dean in one of his last ever performances, with Soft Machine Legacy. He remained seated and played from sheet music. It was a fantastic show. John Marshall on tubs, Hugh Hopper bass, John Etheridge guitar.

Blissful memories...


Yes - that's a great line-up

Elton and Hugh both gone but not forgotten





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby kath » 23 Jun 2020, 21:26

i am really glad whoever put this up on youtube thought to include the track titles. so many forget to do it.

i'm assuming gridal suite is a play on bridal, but does gridal mean anything?

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby C » 23 Jun 2020, 21:26

Phil Howard is a manic drummer

Try to listen to Softs album Drop - it's a stinking good listen






.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8934
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby John aka Josh » 23 Jun 2020, 21:27

Again, vinyl constraints means a too early fade.



Onto Gridal Suite, the most challenging of the tracks. Elton's playing reminds me of Lol Coxhill.
Image

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby kath » 23 Jun 2020, 21:27

LMG wrote:Very well constructed piece. It would be interesting to know how much was improvised and how much was 'the piece' - this always fascinates me in jazz recordings...


not that i've had that much exposure, but i do think about this, too

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby C » 23 Jun 2020, 21:27

You can always recognise Howard's tubs - like Keith Moon he is heavy on the cymbals






.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby kath » 23 Jun 2020, 21:29

C wrote:You can always recognise Howard's tubs - like Keith Moon he is heavy on the cymbals






.


i like a drummer who's heavy on the cymbals, mwhahaha.

who doesn't wanna beat on some cymbals?

i might need me a drum kit.

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 9682
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby LMG » 23 Jun 2020, 21:29

Here's how I would direct a session:

'OK, we do the tune, dah dada dum da, yadda yadda yadda, then when I point YOU go bamalamaalamlamdrammba lama on the drums - go easy on the high hat and YOU (points) go sqwawk skwawk breddla breeeeee breh until I look annoyed, then YOU Keith bang on the joanna a bit, then you (still Keith, it is your album after all) play the tune again and we all come back in for eight bars or whatever - we can always fade. Sound good?'

I reckon that's how they do it.

I see a lot of live jazz, me. Sober these days. I know jazz musics.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby C » 23 Jun 2020, 21:30

John aka Josh wrote:Onto Gridal Suite, the most challenging of the tracks. Elton's playing reminds me of Lol Coxhill.


Yes. I think from memory that Lol plays on Tippett's Centipede album September Energy - along with 50 plus others - hence the name Centipede.

A double album containing four tracks





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby C » 23 Jun 2020, 21:30

LMG wrote:Here's how I would direct a session:

'OK, we do the tune, dah dada dum da, yadda yadda yadda, then when I point YOU go bamalamaalamlamdrammba lama on the drums - go easy on the high hat and YOU (points) go sqwawk skwawk breddla breeeeee breh until I look annoyed, then YOU Keith bang on the joanna a bit, then you (still Keith, it is your album after all) play the tune again and we all come back in for eight bars or whatever - we can always fade. Sound good?'

I reckon that's how they do it.

I see a lot of live jazz, me. Sober these days. I know jazz musics.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:






.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8934
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby John aka Josh » 23 Jun 2020, 21:30

C wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:Onto Gridal Suite, the most challenging of the tracks. Elton's playing reminds me of Lol Coxhill.


Yes. I think from memory that Lol plays on Tippett's Centipede album September Energy - along with 50 plus others - hence the name Centipede.

A double album containing four tracks





.



Must give that a listen.
Image

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby kath » 23 Jun 2020, 21:32

LMG wrote:Here's how I would direct a session:

'OK, we do the tune, dah dada dum da, yadda yadda yadda, then when I point YOU go bamalamaalamlamdrammba lama on the drums - go easy on the high hat and YOU (points) go sqwawk skwawk breddla breeeeee breh until I look annoyed, then YOU Keith bang on the joanna a bit, then you (still Keith, it is your album after all) play the tune again and we all come back in for eight bars or whatever - we can always fade. Sound good?'

I reckon that's how they do it.

I see a lot of live jazz, me. Sober these days. I know jazz musics.


mwahahahaha.

just imagine playin under zappa or robert fripp. you better know yer shit

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby C » 23 Jun 2020, 21:33

kath wrote:
C wrote:You can always recognise Howard's tubs - like Keith Moon he is heavy on the cymbals






.


i like a drummer who's heavy on the cymbals, mwhahaha.

who doesn't wanna beat on some cymbals?

i might need me a drum kit.


Excellent!

Perhaps Terry Bozzio wants to sell his:

Image








.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby kath » 23 Jun 2020, 21:33

every now and then, those horns get an almost new orleans kinda swayyy dirge goin awn

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby C » 23 Jun 2020, 21:34

kath wrote:
LMG wrote:Here's how I would direct a session:

'OK, we do the tune, dah dada dum da, yadda yadda yadda, then when I point YOU go bamalamaalamlamdrammba lama on the drums - go easy on the high hat and YOU (points) go sqwawk skwawk breddla breeeeee breh until I look annoyed, then YOU Keith bang on the joanna a bit, then you (still Keith, it is your album after all) play the tune again and we all come back in for eight bars or whatever - we can always fade. Sound good?'

I reckon that's how they do it.

I see a lot of live jazz, me. Sober these days. I know jazz musics.


mwahahahaha.

just imagine playin under zappa or robert fripp. you better know yer shit


Oh yes!





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby kath » 23 Jun 2020, 21:35

C wrote:
kath wrote:
C wrote:You can always recognise Howard's tubs - like Keith Moon he is heavy on the cymbals






.


i like a drummer who's heavy on the cymbals, mwhahaha.

who doesn't wanna beat on some cymbals?

i might need me a drum kit.


Excellent!

Perhaps Terry Bozzio wants to sell his:

Image










.



god love terry.

obviously, my drums would hafta have enough room separate from my surrounding stacks o' keyboards

oh, and i want a gong, too
Last edited by kath on 23 Jun 2020, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8934
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Lockdown Listen: In Memoriam Keith Tippett, Tuesday 23rd June @ 9pm

Postby John aka Josh » 23 Jun 2020, 21:35

kath wrote:i am really glad whoever put this up on youtube thought to include the track titles. so many forget to do it.

i'm assuming gridal suite is a play on bridal, but does gridal mean anything?





Not to me.


This one, Five after Dawn is either about the early morning stirrings of little animals, how lightweights feel after an all night bender or a group of upper middle class children (& their dog) trippin' on shrooms as the Sun comes up.
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen:Keith Tippett Group - NOW PLAYING!

Postby C » 23 Jun 2020, 21:36

kath - incidentally, there is a guitar solo on the last track- and very fine it is too






.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.