Neil Young Homegrown - anyone else getting this?

Do talk back
Sam Stone

Neil Young Homegrown - anyone else getting this?

Postby Sam Stone » 14 Jun 2020, 16:16

Certainly one of his more intriguing archive releases after Tuscaloosa and the rather 'meh' Live at the Roxy before it - surely there were better shows on the TFA tour than that particular show!

While only get every one in two or sometimes three new NY albums, have got pretty much all the non-box Archive releasesand am looking forward to getting this. (As I am the Vol 2 box when (if!) it ever comes. out. Was supposed to be next month, but will take that with a pinch of salt.

Homegrown seems to be getting pretty excellent reviews all round, though. The below one is especially good.

https://www.stereogum.com/2087431/neil- ... valuation/
Last edited by Sam Stone on 02 Jul 2020, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Re: Neil Young Homegrown - anyone else getting this?

Postby slightbreeze » 14 Jun 2020, 17:07

I've just got it, but haven't played it yet. As you say, positive reviews. Just hope it just isn't ANOTHER Neil album

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 15 Jun 2020, 12:41

I've been waiting to hear this for ages, and what I have heard so far sounds like its going to be awesome. I think you can pretty much guarantee this will NOT be "just another Neil Young album"

... and I don't know, I must be the only person in the world who enjoyed Tuscaloosa ?

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 15 Jun 2020, 13:26

Mike Boom wrote:... and I don't know, I must be the only person in the world who enjoyed Tuscaloosa ?

I definitely did. I was coming here to say exactly that!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 15 Jun 2020, 16:06

Getting it (and appreciated Tuscalooza).

Only wonder why it has to be 5 € more expensive than the new Dylan (and that is a 2 disc).
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Jun 2020, 20:19

I find myself playing these new/old releases less and less with each release. Homegrown is of course a famous hold out fans have been begging for for years so I'm a little tempted but for me he has waited a bit too long to get these recordings out.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 15 Jun 2020, 20:57

Both "Vacancy" and "Try" the two tracks available so far are killer

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 15 Jun 2020, 22:34

Yep, Mrs asked what i wanted from kids for fathers day this weekend - this on vinyl and the new Bob album on cd.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Jun 2020, 22:36

I'm definitely down. I haven't bought any archival Neil since that live Tonight's the Night show a while back.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 19 Jun 2020, 17:19

My copy hasn't arrived yet, so was listening to Tuscaloosa, I think the version of "Old Man" is the best version Ive heard, he really delivers on the vocal. Great version of New Mama too.

robertff

Postby robertff » 19 Jun 2020, 19:34

Arrived today - it’s okay but that’s about it.

The track ‘Florida’ towards the end of side 1 spoils the whole album for me. Endless talk over what sounds like the sound of someone running their finger over the top of a glass rim doesn’t sound very musical to my ears. Sounded so bad had to take off the needle and move it on. The rest is okay but this is not a NY masterpiece - probably a wise decision to keep it locked away in the first place.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 20 Jun 2020, 07:04

Heard it yesterday and my first impression was that it sounded like an album I was probably going to really get in to. There's something intrinsically gratifying about hearing a "new" record knowing it is actually a window into the past, the lovelorn musings of a man still in his twenties...
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 20 Jun 2020, 12:26

Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 20 Jun 2020, 16:04

robertff wrote:Arrived today - it’s okay but that’s about it.

The track ‘Florida’ towards the end of side 1 spoils the whole album for me. Endless talk over what sounds like the sound of someone running their finger over the top of a glass rim doesn’t sound very musical to my ears. Sounded so bad had to take off the needle and move it on. The rest is okay but this is not a NY masterpiece - probably a wise decision to keep it locked away in the first place.

While like the album, I do have a couple of reservations.

The first is length - the album is only about 35 minutes long.

That would not be a problem if all 35 of those minutes consisted of killer music, Sadly, two of the tracks - the aforementioned Florida and a rather lumpen blues workout - suck giant logs

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 Jun 2020, 12:07

I played it this morning.

I was slightly disappointed and underwhelmed.

There were only one maybe two tracks that grabbed me the rest was quite bland.

One has to ask why it was shelved in the first place although 5 tracks were reworked and appeared elsewhere although I didn't instantly recognise them.

That said, I will give it another two or three listens and I am quite eager to do so

John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 21 Jun 2020, 12:52

Uncut's half time report has Young on 72 and Dylan on 18.

Says it all really.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jun 2020, 13:12

I was distinctly underwhelmed and whilst I will give it a chance I somehow doubt I'll be playing it in a month's time. Or after that . It just sounds like Neil on autopilot from that early-mid 70's period and whilst it's more inclined towards "Harvest" than "Zuma" it doesn't really do nearly enough to sustain my interest, sadly. And, yes, I do think it sounds as if he was channeling his past without much care for invention - winging it. It's pleasant enough but, ultimately, a bit lazy and I can see why it remained unreleased for 45 years.
People go on too much about the privileged background of politicians but actually Matt Hancock had a very humble upbringing in an Italian workshop owned by a woodworker named Geppetto who turned him into a human boy.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Jun 2020, 17:28

I preordered it, yet realize that if and when he ever gets around to issuing Archives 2, Homegrown will probably be on it, and I could've saved myself the money.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 21 Jun 2020, 20:46

C wrote:One has to ask why it was shelved in the first place although 5 tracks were reworked and appeared elsewhere although I didn't instantly recognise them.

It is one of the classic stories of serendipity in Neil Young's history, if not in all of rock history.

In a Rolling Stone interview in August 1975 with Cameron Crowe (coming up for 45 years ago OMG), Neil explained that he had fully completed Homegrown in early 1975, the cover was prepared, and he held a listening party with ten friends to celebrate. After the album finished playing on the tape it kept running, and played the tracks that had been assembled from earlier sessions from two years earlier and even before that. Neil decided he liked these recordings better than Homegrown and at the very last minute he decided to release the older album, Tonight's The Night in 1975 instead of the planned album Homegrown.

The 1973 sessions for what became Tonight's the Night were recorded as a way of coming to terms with the death of member of Crazy Horse Danny Whitten, who died of a drug overdose. CSNY roadie Bruce Berry had suffered a similar fate, and the remnants of Crazy Horse got together to record as a way of making sense of the recent deaths. Neil said 'There was a lot of spirit in the music we made...We'd go down (to the studio) about 5:00 in the afternoon and start getting high, playing pool and drinking tequila. About midnight, we'd start playing. And we played Bruce and Danny on their way all through the night. I'm not a junkie and I won't even check it out to check out what it's like...but we all got high enough, right out there on the edge where we felt wide open to the whole mood. It was spooky. I probably feel this album (Tonight's The Night) more than anything else I've ever done.'

The resulting songs were at first not enough to make up an album, and Neil had mixed feelings about the recordings in 1973, that they were out of tune and too raw. Then his manager Elliott Randall added some related recordings, including a live recording of Danny Whitten singing with Crazy Horse. These were not intended for release, but in 1975 were to be given to 'some people' who were putting together a stage show about Bruce Berry's death and the period. This is why they were on a current tape used at the listening party.

'We all listened to the album (Homegrown) and Tonight's The NIght happened to be on the same reel. So we listened to that too, just for laughs. No comparison. Not because Homegrown wasn't as good. A lot of people would probably say that it's better. I know the first time I listened to Tonight's The Night it was the most out-of-tune thing I'd ever heard. Everyone's off-key. I couldn't hack it. But by listening to those two albums back to back at the party, I started to see the weaknesses in Homegrown. I took Tonight's The NIght because of the overall strength in performance and feeling. The theme may be a little depressing, but the general feeling is much more elevating than Homegrown.

He later mentions his plans that now Homegrown will come out on other albums, that 'it was just a very down album - it's the darker side to Harvest'. The songs emerged from a romantic breakup (with Carrie Snodgrass), he also called his then-previous album On The Beach 'one of the most depressing records I've ever made...I don't want to get down to the point where I can't even get up. I mean there's something about going down there and looking around, but I don't know about sticking around'.

So maybe we need a synchronised listen to Homegrown followed by Tonight's The Night to see if we can replicate the 1975 listening party experience... :lol:
'You're sort of the Hillary Clinton of the Black Cat Bone Prog Synchronised Listen Artists Under Consideration - everyone knows who you are, but you just can't seem to get where you need to be.'

C
Robust

Postby C » 22 Jun 2020, 10:17

Mike Boom wrote:so was listening to Tuscaloosa, I think the version of "Old Man" is the best version Ive heard, he really delivers on the vocal. Great version of New Mama too.

Agreed. It’s a very good album

Full of music

John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.