PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival: Kept on Chooglin'

Do talk back
User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13643
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby fange » 12 Jun 2020, 21:27

Who'll Stop The Rain, one of their best. So evocative, both lyrically and musically.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 12 Jun 2020, 21:27

Matt Wilson wrote:"Who'll Stop the Rain" has to be a song at least partly about Vietnam, no? At least all of the concerns of the day in 1970. If you have to pick one best song on the LP, this has to be it...


Mrs C's fave

But I just melt every time I hear Grapevine...






.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 30554
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Jun 2020, 21:27

fange wrote:My Baby, the Sun rockabilly sound bottled.


Except it's not a Sun record. It's RCA.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 12 Jun 2020, 21:28

fange wrote:Who'll Stop The Rain, one of their best. So evocative, both lyrically and musically.


Yes, a very powerful song fange





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 12 Jun 2020, 21:28

Matt Wilson wrote:"Who'll Stop the Rain" has to be a song at least partly about Vietnam, no? At least all of the concerns of the day in 1970. If you have to pick one best song on the LP, this has to be it...

it depends on my mooood. cuz RTTJ is just so veery wicked and evocative. this one also evocative, but much diff vibe of course. introspective

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 30554
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Jun 2020, 21:28

Just as I said John's influences were pre-Beatles, here he comes to make me a liar. CCR do Motown, and turn it into a jam to boot!

User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13643
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby fange » 12 Jun 2020, 21:28

Matt Wilson wrote:
fange wrote:My Baby, the Sun rockabilly sound bottled.


Except it's not a Sun record. It's RCA.

It sounds like a Sun record to me!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8934
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby John aka Josh » 12 Jun 2020, 21:29

Matt Wilson wrote:"Who'll Stop the Rain" has to be a song at least partly about Vietnam, no? At least all of the concerns of the day in 1970.





For sure.



Not sure it's the best song on the album, not that I'm sure I have a best song of the album, too many classics.
Image

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 12 Jun 2020, 21:29

fange wrote:Who'll Stop The Rain, one of their best. So evocative, both lyrically and musically.


you stole the word "evocative" before i even posted it. bastard

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 12 Jun 2020, 21:29

this cover just rules. pounds. inspired i say and mean

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 12 Jun 2020, 21:30

For me this is one of the best covers ever






.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 30554
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Jun 2020, 21:30

To show you guys how out of it I was as a kid, I knew this version before I heard Marvin Gaye's or Gladys Knight's versions.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 12 Jun 2020, 21:30

kath wrote:this cover just rules. pounds. inspired i say and mean


Yep sis

Yep





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 12 Jun 2020, 21:31

Matt Wilson wrote:Just as I said John's influences were pre-Beatles, here he comes to make me a liar. CCR do Motown, and turn it into a jam to boot!


absolutely. ohhhh mannnn

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 30554
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Jun 2020, 21:31

They make this a swamp rock jamming thing just like they did with "Suzie Q."

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 12 Jun 2020, 21:31

GWEETAR!




.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 12 Jun 2020, 21:32

Matt Wilson wrote:They make this a swamp rock jamming thing just like they did with "Suzie Q."


and isn't it wonderful Matt?




.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 12 Jun 2020, 21:32

Matt Wilson wrote:To show you guys how out of it I was as a kid, I knew this version before I heard Marvin Gaye's or Gladys Knight's versions.


i had heard marvin's version a few times, but this is the one i made mine. this one was alllll me, mwhahahaaa

User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13643
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby fange » 12 Jun 2020, 21:32

This version of Grapevine has that thing that Creedence dont often get enough credit for - they could groove like muthas when they wanted to. Would have made one of the best funkiest soul rock bands ever if they had wanted to.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8934
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: PSL: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Friday 12th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby John aka Josh » 12 Jun 2020, 21:32

Confession.



For a long time I didn't rate Grapevine. Too long, too dull. Thankfully, now I've seen the light. It is an oppressive sound, but that's the song, and it's masterful.
Image