Graham Norton

Do talk back
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Graham Norton

Postby Muskrat » 06 Jun 2020, 02:50

One of the few British tv series on BBC America is Graham Norton’s (replacing Jonathan Ross).

He’s treated poorly - 11 o’clock Fridays; no repeats - but I’m wondering how much of it is cut for export. Until this season, we saw an hour, including commercials, which comes to about 45 minutes of “show.” Now, it’s only 45 minutes including commercials, but nothing’s obviously missing.

It runs a week later here than in the UK.

So how much, if anything, are we missing? Wisecracks are inevitable, but may I have some real numbers, too?

Tonight’s guests are a Lady Gaga, Chris Evans and Michelle Dockery, Josh Gad, Michaela Coelacanth and Niall Horan.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

Sam Stone

Re: Graham Norton

Postby Sam Stone » 06 Jun 2020, 05:56

Muskrat wrote:One of the few British tv series on BBC America is Graham Norton’s (replacing Jonathan Ross).

He’s treated poorly - 11 o’clock Fridays; no repeats - but I’m wondering how much of it is cut for export. Until this season, we saw an hour, including commercials, which comes to about 45 minutes of “show.” Now, it’s only 45 minutes including commercials, but nothing’s obviously missing.

It runs a week later here than in the UK.

So how much, if anything, are we missing? Wisecracks are inevitable, but may I have some real numbers, too?

Tonight’s guests are a Lady Gaga, Chris Evans and Michelle Dockery, Josh Gad, Michaela Coelacanth and Niall Horan.

The show goes out around half an hour earlier in the UK on the same night.

Since you make no note of any musical content, the US edits seem to have cut out his weeekly song.

GN is renowned for having a fine tenor voice reminiscent of Joseph Locke and viewers love his reimaginings of old irish
classics such as Raferty’s Motor Car and Paddy Mcginty’s Goat.

If he has a musical guest such as Chris Martin, he’ll even do duets. The night he and the normally po-faced Nick Cave
ripped their way through I’ll Tell Me Ma When I Get Home (check it out on YT) was legendary.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 06 Jun 2020, 11:29

I don't watch the show regularly but he does seem to have a good knack of reading the room. If his guests are getting on and being entertaining he lets them run. But if they are out of sorts he (and his producers) have some gimmick or idea up his sleeve to take the pressure off the "chat".

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 06 Jun 2020, 15:17

I haven’t watched last night’s show yet, but I expect Horan to sing; do you mean there is often more than one musical number?

Also: I was asking about the running time of the show. Does it vary, then, from episode to episode?

James Cordon has taken up (and acknowledges) the idea of bringing all the guests out at once, which really does make for a faster pace and more interesting content. In Norton’s case, at least.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.