RIP Rupert Hine

Do talk back
Purgatory Brite

RIP Rupert Hine

Postby Purgatory Brite » 05 Jun 2020, 18:13

More sad news as the famous musician and producer dies.

He is probably best know to fans of progressive rock as the producer of albums by Anthony Phillips, Camel and Rush. His band Quantum Jump were also part of the 70s progressive scene but were most famous for the novelty hit record The Lone Ranger. He made a number of excellent solo albums - including Immunity and Waving Not Drowning - in the 80s.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: RIP Rupert Hine

Postby Neige » 06 Jun 2020, 07:28

I still love Quantum Jump and that trilogy of solo albums on A&M dearly - I even bought reissues of his two (rather forgettable) earlier albums at the time!

Apart from the ones you mentioned, pb, I also own albums Rupert Hine produced (beautifully) for Murray Head, Saga, The Fixx, The Members, Ezio, Noa, Suzanne Vega ...

And he might also be remembered as the mastermind (along with Kevin Godley) behind this lovely project:

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 06 Jun 2020, 11:04

RIP Mr. Hine

Surprisingly young - only 71

Aside from Quantum Jump's wonderful Lone Ranger which always seemed to get played on Kenny Everett's Video Show, the only thing of his I really remember is this one from I think - Not Waving, Drowning - had it on a cassette I lost more years ago than I care to remember

Altogether, now

Taumata-whaka-tangi-hanga-kuayuwo
tamate-aturi-pukaku-piki-maunga
horonuku-pokaiawhen-uaka-tana-tahu
mataku-atanganu-akawa-miki-tora

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 06 Jun 2020, 12:49

Neige wrote:Apart from the ones you mentioned, pb, I also own albums Rupert Hine produced (beautifully) for Murray Head, Saga, The Fixx, The Members, Ezio, Noa, Suzanne Vega ...

Tina Turner ;)

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 06 Jun 2020, 20:04

Purgatory Brite wrote:
Neige wrote:Apart from the ones you mentioned, pb, I also own albums Rupert Hine produced (beautifully) for Murray Head, Saga, The Fixx, The Members, Ezio, Noa, Suzanne Vega ...

Tina Turner ;)

I know, but I'm proud to say that I don't own it.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge