Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Everybody Needs a Friend... [prog goons have plenty!]

Do talk back
User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby C » 09 Jun 2020, 21:26

What riff!!

Yes a Fairport flavour



.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby kath » 09 Jun 2020, 21:27

C wrote:The lyrics of "Lady Jay" are based on the Dartmoor folk legend about Kitty Jay






.


the lyrics sound so medieval and folksy. and methinks the music matches it perfectly. epic, sad, beautiful

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 10372
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby Neil Jung » 09 Jun 2020, 21:27

Lady Jay has twin guitars AND twin vocals. Meaty guitar sound, sounds like Laurie W.
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby C » 09 Jun 2020, 21:28

C wrote:What riff!!

Yes a Fairport flavour



.


Actually they'd do a great cover

Swarb on lead vocals and violin

Peggy on mandolin

Thommo on gweetar





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 9682
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby LMG » 09 Jun 2020, 21:29

I am still thinking about all those American producers from this aalbum onwards - Bill Szymczyk, Tom Dowd, the Albert Brothers - these guys were the rainmakers, the hitmakers - strong ideas, great sound, ideal FM radio product.

I wonder what made them think the Ash would be best served by such a route?

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby C » 09 Jun 2020, 21:29

Neil Jung wrote: Meaty guitar sound, sounds like Laurie W.


I think so

The bass throughout is superb





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8934
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby John aka Josh » 09 Jun 2020, 21:30

Neil Jung wrote:Lady Jay has twin guitars AND twin vocals. Meaty guitar sound, sounds like Laurie W.






And a bit of mandolin and banjo.


I do like some mandolin.
Image

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby kath » 09 Jun 2020, 21:31

ya know, it's kinda weird i married a guy who grew up half a mile from me, he made handmade beowulf armor... and i *thought* we had enough in common. mwhahahahHA.

and then i met reap, who grew up on farmland in ohio, yet weeee had all the real stuff in common.

funny, how life works sometimes.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby C » 09 Jun 2020, 21:31

LMG wrote:I am still thinking about all those American producers from this aalbum onwards - Bill Szymczyk, Tom Dowd, the Albert Brothers - these guys were the rainmakers, the hitmakers - strong ideas, great sound, ideal FM radio product.

I wonder what made them think the Ash would be best served by such a route?


A good point, well made

the easy answer: fucque knows!

Is it Live Dates 1 or 2 that has a great version of FUBB





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby kath » 09 Jun 2020, 21:32

i just luvvvvv fubb. it is a slinking monitor lizard of happy doom, mwhahaha

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 10372
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby Neil Jung » 09 Jun 2020, 21:33

FUBB = F*****d Up Beyond Belief

In case you didn’t know.


I expect the were trying desperately to break the band in the States and thought a US producer might help....
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby C » 09 Jun 2020, 21:33

kath wrote:ya know, it's kinda weird i married a guy who grew up half a mile from me, he made handmade beowulf armor... and i *thought* we had enough in common. mwhahahahHA.

and then i met reap, who grew up on farmland in ohio, yet weeee had all the real stuff in common.

funny, how life works sometimes.


indeed my learned friend

And I married somebody who has only this year got into Creedence and Miles Davis....!!

Odd life ain't it?




.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8934
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby John aka Josh » 09 Jun 2020, 21:33

C wrote:
LMG wrote:I am still thinking about all those American producers from this aalbum onwards - Bill Szymczyk, Tom Dowd, the Albert Brothers - these guys were the rainmakers, the hitmakers - strong ideas, great sound, ideal FM radio product.

I wonder what made them think the Ash would be best served by such a route?


A good point, well made

the easy answer: fucque knows!

Is it Live Dates 1 or 2 that has a great version of FUBB





.





1
Image

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 10372
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby Neil Jung » 09 Jun 2020, 21:35

C wrote:
LMG wrote:I am still thinking about all those American producers from this aalbum onwards - Bill Szymczyk, Tom Dowd, the Albert Brothers - these guys were the rainmakers, the hitmakers - strong ideas, great sound, ideal FM radio product.

I wonder what made them think the Ash would be best served by such a route?


A good point, well made

the easy answer: fucque knows!

Is it Live Dates 1 or 2 that has a great version of FUBB





.


Live Dates 2
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby kath » 09 Jun 2020, 21:36

now the speed up. better run, bitches, mwhahahaaa. monitor lizard comin

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby C » 09 Jun 2020, 21:36

Neil Jung wrote:I expect the were trying desperately to break the band in the States and thought a US producer might help....


Maybe but to be honest The Ash's albums often weren't consistent enough

Pilgrimage is a great early example of that.

The closing live track - whatever were the thinking?

Locked in - variable
Front Page News - variable
New England - variable.

Sorry boys - In still love you!






.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby C » 09 Jun 2020, 21:37

Congas kath. Congas!!





.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 57285
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby C » 09 Jun 2020, 21:37

A foot tapping FREAK OUT!!!






.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 37511
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby kath » 09 Jun 2020, 21:38

C wrote:And I married somebody who has only this year got into Creedence and Miles Davis....!!






.


i call this progress.

i'm thinkin i might need me some damn congas.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8934
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Now Rockin'

Postby John aka Josh » 09 Jun 2020, 21:39

Neil Jung wrote:
C wrote:
LMG wrote:I am still thinking about all those American producers from this aalbum onwards - Bill Szymczyk, Tom Dowd, the Albert Brothers - these guys were the rainmakers, the hitmakers - strong ideas, great sound, ideal FM radio product.

I wonder what made them think the Ash would be best served by such a route?


A good point, well made

the easy answer: fucque knows!

Is it Live Dates 1 or 2 that has a great version of FUBB





.


Live Dates 2



Yep, you're right.



Good as it is before the time change, it's after the change that this takes off. Glorious.




Could do with a touch more cowbell...
Image