Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Everybody Needs a Friend... [prog goons have plenty!]

Do talk back
C
Robust

Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash: Everybody Needs a Friend... [prog goons have plenty!]

Postby C » 02 Jun 2020, 23:52

Last edited by C on 09 Jun 2020, 21:48, edited 2 times in total.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Re: Lockdown Listen: Wishbone Ash, Tuesday 9th June @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 03 Jun 2020, 12:16

okay.

now yer just gettin on my good side. not that you've ever been on my bad side, but we're talkin supremely kickass/kickarse splendiferous side.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

i'll tell my wishbone ash story later. gotta go acquire coffee.

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Jun 2020, 12:44

kath wrote:i'll tell my wishbone ash story later. gotta go acquire coffee.

kath

Postby kath » 03 Jun 2020, 14:24

well, it was just a great show. reap took me to see em in nashville. they played in this lil bitty club, maybe fifty people there. but they played like they were in a stadium. it was wunnerful.

after the show, andy talked to reap for a good long time. a class act.

a luvly night.

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Jun 2020, 14:34

kath wrote:well, it was just a great show. reap took me to see em in nashville. they played in this lil bitty club, maybe fifty people there. but they played like they were in a stadium. it was wunnerful.

after the show, andy talked to reap for a good long time. a class act.

a luvly night.

*thumbs up*

What year was that?

kath

Postby kath » 03 Jun 2020, 14:37

it was after bona fide came out. i'm guessin 2003? maybe 2004.

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Jun 2020, 15:40

kath wrote:it was after bona fide came out.

I haven't heard that - any good?

Come to think of it the last time I saw Andy in Wishbone Ash was around that time - probably 2008.

London with Andy Griff et alia I recall.

I saw Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash a lot later at my boys school in the Mick Jagger Centre when they got free tickets- that would have been 2016

Apparently, Martin can't call his band Wishbone Ash these days - It's 'Martin Turner plays the music of Wishbone Ash'

Why Andy and Martin can't get over their differences and get back together fucque knows

Their mum's should bash their heads together!

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Jun 2020, 15:52

P.S.

From Wiki

In 2013 Andy Powell as the sole remaining original member of Wishbone Ash and following protracted discussions with Martin Turner and his representatives took legal action to protect the Wishbone Ash registered trademark and prevent Martin Turner from using his chosen group name. The court ruled in favour of Andy Powell. Martin Turner appealed the courts decision but his submitted application to appeal was refused. Since then he has complied with the courts ruling and toured and recorded with his band as Martin Turner - (Ex Wishbone Ash)

I've not seen them advertised as that.....

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Jun 2020, 16:02

I've found the telephone interview article from where that Wiki bit came from:

"I want nothing to do with Andy Powell": Rock legend and Wishbone Ash founder Martin Turner on his bitter split with the band

By Suraj Prabhu

[EXCERPT]

It was accepted by the court that Martin is not a current member of Wishbone Ash and that he is no longer allowed to use the name in a band title, although he is allowed to reference himself as one of the four founding original members of Wishbone Ash and to use the name as a description of the contents of his live show. He now performs as 'Martin Turner' and his live performances are billed as 'Martin Turner Ex Wishbone Ash', something that Martin is still clearly bitter about.

"That was particularly bad," Martin said talking about the lawsuit. "It was something that should have been sorted out face to face. But stupidly it ended up going to court. It was very damaging for me, my family and for Andy Powell as well."

"We did try and warn him that this was a really stupid way to deal with this problem, but he went ahead and I do think at the time that he was trying to put me out of business because I had started appearing again in live performances playing Wishbone Ash music from 2005 onwards. I don't think he was happy about that."

"Mainly for financial reasons I think, he was running the 'official Wishbone Ash' as he calls it and he wanted all the money and he wasn't willing to share any of it with me because I was out there gigging as well and I don't think he was happy about that. Especially not that I was using the name Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash as opposed to his 'offical' version. Actually, that was a name that should be considered my intellectual property because I was the author of the band’s name in the early days when we put the band together. It was a bit of an injustice I felt.”

Full article here:

https://meaww.com/martin-turner-wishbon ... well-split

kath

Postby kath » 03 Jun 2020, 19:10

it does seem like such a shame when two talented musicians have that kinda bitter split. i don't know much about it. reap knew more. there's a part of me that wants those people to just get over it, get along and make more music. life is so damn short.

at the same time, we're talkin reality. i mean, i went thru a very ugly divorce. while these days we are civil and nice enough to each other on the few occasions we meet, i know what i know. there is NO amount of money on planet earth that would make me get back together with that man, mwhahaha.

we're only gettin martin's side of it here, which makes me a lil suspicious. yeah, he's bitter alright. he manages to insult andy for not being man enough to handle things "face to face" instead of opting for a lawsuit. i *thought* i had read somewhere that andy had been in protracted discussions with martin and his people before it fell apart and ended up in court? maybe i dreamt it.

but martin has no probs claiming that andy's only in it for the money. i get a lil suspicious when i hear sumthin like that, too. after all, martin had zero probs cashin in on the name before the court stopped him, mwhaha.

so i don't really know who's what and what's its whatsits. the court sided with andy, but that's neither here nor there. sometimes courts are fair; sometimes they rampantly suck.

when it comes to andy, i can only go by what i've seen. i got a wishbone ash newsletter for years, in which he talked about all manner of things, great and small, happy and tragic. he always came off to me as caring, warm, funny, intelligent. which was exactly the way he was when he spent that time talkin with reap. now, maybe he sprouted devil horns with martin, those creative types appear to have no shortage of ego-clashin with each other, but i'll go by what i saw.

at least we have the great music left to celebrate. ya ya.

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Jun 2020, 23:51

kath wrote:it does seem like such a shame when two talented musicians have that kinda bitter split. i don't know much about it. reap knew more. there's a part of me that wants those people to just get over it, get along and make more music. life is so damn short.

at the same time, we're talkin reality. i mean, i went thru a very ugly divorce. while these days we are civil and nice enough to each other on the few occasions we meet, i know what i know. there is NO amount of money on planet earth that would make me get back together with that man, mwhahaha.

we're only gettin martin's side of it here, which makes me a lil suspicious. yeah, he's bitter alright. he manages to insult andy for not being man enough to handle things "face to face" instead of opting for a lawsuit. i *thought* i had read somewhere that andy had been in protracted discussions with martin and his people before it fell apart and ended up in court? maybe i dreamt it.

but martin has no probs claiming that andy's only in it for the money. i get a lil suspicious when i hear sumthin like that, too. after all, martin had zero probs cashin in on the name before the court stopped him, mwhaha.

so i don't really know who's what and what's its whatsits. the court sided with andy, but that's neither here nor there. sometimes courts are fair; sometimes they rampantly suck.

when it comes to andy, i can only go by what i've seen. i got a wishbone ash newsletter for years, in which he talked about all manner of things, great and small, happy and tragic. he always came off to me as caring, warm, funny, intelligent. which was exactly the way he was when he spent that time talkin with reap. now, maybe he sprouted devil horns with martin, those creative types appear to have no shortage of ego-clashin with each other, but i'll go by what i saw.

at least we have the great music left to celebrate. ya ya.

Spot on kath

It takes too to tango.

This is only Martin's side

I agree - as I said earlier bury the hatchet and get back together (forget the differences) and make some music

C
Robust

Postby C » 07 Jun 2020, 21:38

Overmorrow

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2020, 13:13

Tomorrow

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Jun 2020, 10:49

TODAY!

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 09 Jun 2020, 19:56

Andy Powell has written a book Eyes Wide Open in which he of course covers the Martin Turner situation. I read it a couple of years ago and if I recall correctly his view was that Martin left years before leaving Andy to keep the flame burning and it was unreasonable for him to expect to have any rights to the name.
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

kath

Postby kath » 09 Jun 2020, 20:53

Neil Jung wrote:Andy Powell has written a book Eyes Wide Open in which he of course covers the Martin Turner situation. I read it a couple of years ago and if I recall correctly his view was that Martin left years before leaving Andy to keep the flame burning and it was unreasonable for him to expect to have any rights to the name.

this makes sense.

p.s. gearin up. this is me, gearin up.

kath

Postby kath » 09 Jun 2020, 20:58

my computer is just crawlingggg again. it matters not. i love this album.

kath

Postby kath » 09 Jun 2020, 21:00

greeetingggs, everyone! time for some primo ash.

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Jun 2020, 21:01

Afternoon/evening all!

READY TO ROCK....?!

kath

Postby kath » 09 Jun 2020, 21:01

a toast to absent friends. *chink*

another all-over-it reap album, mwhahahaa