Best music biopic

Do talk back
User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 26559
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Best music biopic

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 May 2020, 19:43

Image

OR

Image

OR MAYBE EVEN

Image
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21281
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Best music biopic

Postby Jimbly » 16 May 2020, 20:19

Sweet Dreams
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 21222
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Best music biopic

Postby Muskrat » 16 May 2020, 21:05

The only music biopic you ever need. (And the whole thing's on Youtube!)

Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2424
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Best music biopic

Postby Rorschach » 19 May 2020, 07:53

I haven't seen that many but I loved Backbeat.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21281
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Best music biopic

Postby Jimbly » 20 May 2020, 00:12

Rorschach wrote:I haven't seen that many but I loved Backbeat.



I saw the stage play based on the movie, great stuff. The band played the music live within the play.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17947
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: Best music biopic

Postby pcqgod » 20 May 2020, 01:06

I liked 'The Buddy Holly Story.'
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2424
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Best music biopic

Postby Rorschach » 20 May 2020, 08:20

My Brother........ wrote:
Rorschach wrote:I haven't seen that many but I loved Backbeat.



I saw the stage play based on the movie, great stuff. The band played the music live within the play.


I've never been to see a live 'tribute' band (which I assume this effectively was). Lots of BCBers report good experience with seeing them and I guess it makes sense.
I once went to see Oasis in Barcelona, had a great time and then bought a bootleg of the concert a couple of days later. It was fucking dreadful. I'd had a laugh but it turned out that they had performed really badly. With tribute acts, on the other hand, it's all about the performance and not the occasion. They live or die on whether they get it right, so the ones that survive have to pretty well always put on a great performance.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21281
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Best music biopic

Postby Jimbly » 20 May 2020, 09:28

Rorschach wrote:
My Brother........ wrote:
Rorschach wrote:I haven't seen that many but I loved Backbeat.



I saw the stage play based on the movie, great stuff. The band played the music live within the play.


I've never been to see a live 'tribute' band (which I assume this effectively was). Lots of BCBers report good experience with seeing them and I guess it makes sense.
I once went to see Oasis in Barcelona, had a great time and then bought a bootleg of the concert a couple of days later. It was fucking dreadful. I'd had a laugh but it turned out that they had performed really badly. With tribute acts, on the other hand, it's all about the performance and not the occasion. They live or die on whether they get it right, so the ones that survive have to pretty well always put on a great performance.



I think it's a bit unfair to call them a tribute band. The play is based on the film by the writer and director. Like the film there is no actual Beatles music due to copyright stuff.

In the play the band play live, as they would in clubs back then.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 4064
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: Best music biopic

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 20 May 2020, 09:39

I enjoyed ‘Telstar-The Joe Meek Story‘












apart from James Cordon
Give a shit or be a shit.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 11054
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Glad Tidings Mission Hall

Re: Best music biopic

Postby Samoan » 20 May 2020, 10:34

Rorschach wrote:I haven't seen that many but I loved Backbeat.

Agreed.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2424
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Best music biopic

Postby Rorschach » 20 May 2020, 10:38

My Brother........ wrote:

I think it's a bit unfair to call them a tribute band. The play is based on the film by the writer and director. Like the film there is no actual Beatles music due to copyright stuff.

In the play the band play live, as they would in clubs back then.


I put 'tribute' in inverted commas because they clearly weren't quite the same thing, but I did assume they'd be playing Beatles numbers.

Forget I spoke ....

(And 'tribute band' is in no way meant to be demeaning).
Bugger off.

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3888
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Best music biopic

Postby Fonz » 20 May 2020, 13:03

Tom Waits For No One wrote:I enjoyed ‘Telstar-The Joe Meek Story‘












apart from James Cordon



But... he just sat at the back, eating pies.
Completely inoffensive.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."